Gibson Brands Forums

First guitar help please

starman

Hey guys. I have always had an immense passion for music, and have considered picking up the guitar for a while. I had some extra money come my way recently, and have decided to take the plunge. I was browsing my local Craig's List because I want something used to save money, and will get something nicer once I become more experienced. My question was that there were two decent looking Epiphones listed recently that I am very interested in, but I don't know enough to be able to make a concrete decision. I was just wondering if you could take a look at them and help me out with some advice. I'm not in a band or looking to do anything crazy, just learning my way around the instrument and having fun. Here are the two links:

G-400

http://asheville.craigslist.org/msg/783551208.html

Les Paul Standard

http://asheville.craigslist.org/msg/780947934.html

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help, and can't wait to get my hands on my new baby.

-George

Yeah, i plan on just getting a cheap practice amp to start with, and then when I can afford better get it in a month or two. As far as music, I am into a lot of experimental pop/psychedelic music, if anyone knows what the Elephant 6 collective is, I am into a lot of their music, Beatles, Talking Heads, Bowie, Beach Boys, etc. Thanks for the quick response.

Well, to be fair about this.....

The G-400 might be more up your alley. It's certainly a much lighter guitar, is capable of all kinds of sounds, and has a very fast, thin profile on the neck....it would probably be a lot easier to play for someone who's sort of just starting out....

(In fact.....Yeah, although I'm more of a Les Paul lover, I think in your case I'd say......go for the G-400.)

Yeah, I was leaning towards the G-400. It is newer than the Les Paul, I like the look of it more, and my favorite frontman plays an SG, which although shallow is still nice, haha. I am a pretty big guy, 6'3" with kinda big hands, but not over-sized or anything, but I'm super-skinny, so I don't want a ton of weight hanging on my shoulders, concerning the Les Paul's weight, to start out with, the G-400 won't be a problem concerning that, will it?

Yeah' date=' I was leaning towards the G-400. It is newer than the Les Paul, I like the look of it more, and my favorite frontman plays an SG, which although shallow is still nice, haha. I am a pretty big guy, 6'3" with kinda big hands, but not over-sized or anything, but I'm super-skinny, so I don't want a ton of weight hanging on my shoulders, concerning the Les Paul's weight, to start out with, the G-400 won't be a problem concerning that, will it?[/quote']

Nah. It might look sort of tiny on ya, but at the same time....if you're not used to playing guitar, or for that matter a Les Paul, that 9 lb weight will tear up your shoulder after a while. And, even if you are tall with large hands, it's still going to be a chore to stretch those hands out for rhythms and lead. You'd probably be a lot happier with the SG. (but, to be fair, go ahead and see if you can try before you buy.....and good luck...)

Awesome, I think i should be able to give them a try, I know I will be meeting the people in person, so. I also meant to ask if the prices seemed fair to you all. Since you haven't said anything I assume it's not a ripoff, but just wanted to check before I parted with the cash.

Those are both good deals....If it's a case of which one is the better deal out of the 2?

Even though you might prefer the SG, that Les Paul is a Made In Korea model...it's probably the better deal out of the 2, and it's going to hold its value better....(Try them both out....absolutely!)

EDIT: That Les Paul's also got Epiphone's version of the Gibson Green Keys.....heh....It's a good thing I'm not right handed nor I live anywhere near North Carolina.

I don't know that either one of them are going to "hold their value." At the end of the day' date=' they're both used Epiphones.[/quote']

True to a degree, but it's generally acknowledged that the Korean versions were of a higher quality than their Chinese counterparts. (And, he is advertising himself as the original owner with the case....)

Hey Starman, if you can get to both of them and give them a hit, you may find out which one you like, I have both and love to play both, they have different sounds which I play different songs to. I personally LOVE the look of the SG, but I'm GASing for a black SG.

So I'm probably a little the SG way, mate you will soon know if you can play them.

Cheers and good luck

RR

starman -- WELCOME to the forum!

First, congratulations on deciding to indulge your music passion. You'll go through a series of emotions about playing and if you stay focussed it will reward you in so many ways that money cannot buy.

Yeah' date=' i plan on just getting a cheap practice amp to start with, and then when I can afford better get it in a month or two.[/quote']

You may want to reconsider. The amp/speaker is crucial to electric guitar. From experience, starting out with a cheap practice amp really held back my progress for the first couple of years. You don't have to spend a ton of money either, probably just slightly more than you would be paying for the cheapie. There are several very good amps in the $150 - 400 range.

Do a little research on tube vs. solid state. Then try to match the types of music you like with the type of amp used by the artists. Then listen to amps at a local music store (if you feel reluctant to play just listen to others to gain a better feel for the tones you should expect to hear when you practice on that amp). You will learn a lot -- there is a lot to learn -- and that pursuit we, you will love so very much.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

You might consider getting the Epiphone Valve Junior for a starter amp; I've heard it is a nice little amp and there are mods to make it even better. There is the Epiphone Amp forum for any questions you have. If I didn't have a Kalamazoo Model 1 and a '67 F*nder Vibro Champ, I'd get a Valve Junior.

Hey guys, I got the Les Paul. I had the opportunity to play both today and preferred the look and feel of the Les Paul. Since I am a bass player I liked the heavier Les Paul, the SG felt like a toy. Also, I preferred the action on the Les Paul, and found it easier to play. But yeah, I have spent all day today playing and am very happy. Thanks for all the help everyone.

As far as amps go, I was looking to spend around $100, so I could spend a bit more to get one of those amps that you guys were talking about. I will go to the store next week when I get paid and check out a couple different models and see which I like the sound of best. Thanks again for all the help everyone, this forum is such a great resource. I will keep you all updated and hopefully stick around to learn as much as I can.

Hey guys' date=' I got the Les Paul. I had the opportunity to play both today and preferred the look and feel of the Les Paul. Since I am a bass player I liked the heavier Les Paul, the SG felt like a toy. Also, I preferred the action on the Les Paul, and found it easier to play. But yeah, I have spent all day today playing and am very happy. Thanks for all the help everyone.

As far as amps go, I was looking to spend around $100, so I could spend a bit more to get one of those amps that you guys were talking about. I will go to the store next week when I get paid and check out a couple different models and see which I like the sound of best. Thanks again for all the help everyone, this forum is such a great resource. I will keep you all updated and hopefully stick around to learn as much as I can.[/quote']

You went about it the right way. Have fun with the new axe!

Hey guys' date=' I got the Les Paul. I had the opportunity to play both today and preferred the look and feel of the Les Paul. Since I am a bass player I liked the heavier Les Paul, the SG felt like a toy. Also, I preferred the action on the Les Paul, and found it easier to play. But yeah, I have spent all day today playing and am very happy. Thanks for all the help everyone.[/quote']

Hey starman, congrats, pics next mate.

Enjoy your new axe.

Cheers

RR

Archived