Gibson Brands Forums

What year was my guitar made?

Tibbleau

Hello/Kia ora

First you need to look for the serial number. Usually on the back of the headstock or in the ƒ-hole on an archtop.

This will tell you the year of production and where it was made.

Doublecheck if specifics of models produced in that year and factory, are consistent with your guitar.

If in doubt. Post pics!

Hmmm. Poor bugger is still wondering how the serial number can be decoded to provide date info... so.

Epi serials fall into the format of one or two alphabetic characters followed by seven, eight or even nine numeric digits, depending on the year of manufacture (they switched to eight digits somewhere around 1998). A seven-digit number has one year digit followed by two month digits followed by four more digits which represent the production number. As an example:

S4091262

was made at the Samick plant, in September (09) of 1994 (4) and was the 1,262nd guitar made that month.

Similarly, an eight-digit serial will have two year digits:

U98040963

was made by Unsung in April (04) of 1998 (98) and was guitar number 963.

Lately they've increased the production number to five digits:

EE080700428

was made in QingDao China at the Epiphone plant in July (07) of 2008 (08) and is number 428.

Pretty simple, once you memorize all the different plants.

What about pre 1988 guitars' date=' I've a Epiphone Riviera in wine red, full size humbuckers, stop bar tail piece & it has a number:3114142, with no letters before it. The label init says A Division of Gibson Inc, Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Supernova[/quote']

Does the label look like this:

Riviera%20MIJ%20label.jpg

You have a really nice Matsumoku Riviera, made in Japan November 1983.

BTW, the Riviera AN stands for Antique Natural, your label should say Riviera W for Wine Red (if I'm not mistaken).

Cheers Jerrymac,

Yes the label looks like that and it says RW, I think for wine red. It's like the one Noel Gallagher played in Oasis pre mid 1996, one similar can be seen on various Oasis dvd's 'Live By The Sea' at Southend & 'There & Then' st Earls Court 95 I think. Noel played a Wine Red version - and Bonehead played a violin sunburst version until he left the band.

I've just bought the guitar - but wonder are the stop bar tail piece and the string height adjustors bog standard Epiphone pieces or specific to that era?? I'm only wondering as the guitar is Japanese and probably need replacing as extremely tarnished.

As discussed in another thread re a Supernova scratchplate has altered shape, and the screw hole moved, so if I order a replacement tail piece do I order a epiphone dot bridge/as the Riviera was only made between 1983-85ish - will the parts ordered fit??

Anyone know?

John

Cheers Jerrymac' date='

I've just bought the guitar - but wonder are the stop bar tail piece and the string height adjustors bog standard Epiphone pieces or specific to that era?? I'm only wondering as the guitar is Japanese and probably need replacing as extremely tarnished.

As discussed in another thread re a Supernova scratchplate has altered shape, and the screw hole moved, so if I order a replacement tail piece do I order a epiphone dot bridge/as the Riviera was only made between 1983-85ish - will the parts ordered fit??

John[/quote']

I had one, and had to swap out the bridge as well:

Riviera%20MIJ%20body.jpg

I believe I used a standard Gibson ABR type bridge and it fit fine. I have a Sheraton from the same era, I used standard Gibson sized Tone-Pros on that as well.

I have a bridge & TP that should fit in my parts drawer, they're yours if you want them. Just send me an email jkmcleer@yahoo.com with your address and I'll send them to you.

BTW, that scratchplate in the photo is a standard Gibson 335 sized pickguard. I'm not sure if a modern Sheraton II pickguard would fit.

• 1 year later...

Archived