Gibson Brands Forums

Baritone guitars

Ricochet

I've always considered one' date=' as a "bass replacement." It would give me the short scale and six strings, making it feel more like a guitar.

I've never seen one for less than $600, though.[/quote']

I've seen a couple over the years. Usually in the €350-400 range which is quite reasonable by European standards.

Going to have to admit I have never heard of a Baritone guitar, until now, so I googled Epiphone Baritone guitars, and HHHHMMMMMM I like.........

Please correct me if I'm wrong but on the Rhythm setting would this guitar have a deep mellow sound, and on the bridge pickup a high sound?? simular to other LP's.

Still like it, OOHHH no maybe another GAS................

Cheers

RR

I've always considered one' date=' as a "bass replacement." It would give me the short scale and six strings, making it feel more like a guitar.

[/quote']

Here's my Barry-Tone:

l_090d06ad131e679e7d59a2761eefc9d3.jpg

You can use it as a Bass (like the old Bass VI that Lennon used) or you can set it up like a Baritone. I set mine up as a baritone with the low string tuned to A instead of B (A D G C E A). Gets me a bit lower, plus I play a lot more songs in A than B.

Like standard Jags (and Jazzmasters), the upper controls engage the neck pickup and run it through a bassier sounding circuit.

I used the baritone on the 4th lead (doubled with an Epiphone Riviera 12-string Elitist) on Don't Stop.

Going to have to admit I have never heard of a Baritone guitar' date=' until now, so I googled Epiphone Baritone guitars, and HHHHMMMMMM I like.........

Please correct me if I'm wrong but on the Rhythm setting would this guitar have a deep mellow sound, and on the bridge pickup a high sound?? simular to other LP's.

Still like it, OOHHH no maybe another GAS................

Cheers

RR[/quote']

No. Sound will be same ballpark as other LPS. The longer neck simply allow more frets for lower notes - can go below low E easier for D and lower tunings - I've heard some of them can be tuned clear down to B, but I don't know anyone who plays one.

EDIT: Correction, I know Jerrymac plays one. Fast typist he is! and clear down to A??? Wow.

...I know Jerrymac plays one. Fast typist he is! and clear down to A??? Wow.

Yeah, I use Ernie Ball Baritone Slinky strings 13 - 72 gauge. Fender does make Bass VI strings (25 - 95), Ernie Ball as well, if you want to use it as a uber short scale bass. I imagine they would work on the LP baritone as well.

No. Sound will be same ballpark as other LPS. The longer neck simply allow more frets for lower notes - can go below low E easier for D and lower tunings - I've heard some of them can be tuned clear down to B' date=' but I don't know anyone who plays one.

EDIT: Correction, I know Jerrymac plays one. Fast typist he is! and clear down to A??? Wow.[/quote']

Hi snookelputz,

OK thanks for the info.

RR

I see little mention of these. Yet Epiphone has been selling them for a good few years. Anyone have experience with these?

Not really gassing for one. Just curious.

One of the guitar mags had a recent review of about 6 baritone guitars. They require a bit more finger pressure as a result of their longish scale and heavier strings.

• 1 month later...

One of the guitar mags had a recent review of about 6 baritone guitars. They require a bit more finger pressure as a result of their longish scale and heavier strings.

That was a recent issue of Guitar Player. The scale is usually ~30". They are usually tuned B..B in the octave between standard guitar and bass guitar, as I understand from my reading. I've been researching them for a personal GAS. :-({|=

Archived