Gibson Brands Forums

Question about a Sheraton on Ebay

rlajack1217

I'm looking at the following Sheraton on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350085738358&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

But when I asked for a serial number from the seller this was his response.

"Dear rlajack1217,

Hello, and thank you for your inquiry. In order to protect both myself and future owners from any sort of potential fraudulent activity, I do not disclose full serial numbers on my on-line auctions. The first four digits are 'R98C', which should help you in identifying/dating the instrument.

Thank you again for your interest.

Best wishes,

Kent"

So my question for the group is how can I tell anything from that number?

I'm looking at the following Sheraton on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350085738358&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

But when I asked for a serial number from the seller this was his response.

"Dear rlajack1217' date='

Hello, and thank you for your inquiry. In order to protect both myself and future owners from any sort of potential fraudulent activity, I do not disclose full serial numbers on my on-line auctions. The first four digits are 'R98C', which should help you in identifying/dating the instrument.

Thank you again for your interest.

Best wishes,

Kent"

So my question for the group is how can I tell anything from that number?

[/quote']

As noted, R is Peerless in Korea, 98 is the year, & C = March.

That is one gorgeous looking guitar. Hope you win it. =D>

Take a look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Left-Handed-Epiphone-Guitar_W0QQitemZ320283224640QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320283224640&_trkparms=72%3A1074%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

This one looks about as real as a $3.00 bill. If I'm mistaken and this is real......I'm sorry.

And I always felt safe not worrying about left handed fakes. I'm guessing those days are over.

Look again' date=' Jerry - it's a leftie. But I do realize that Epi semi's don't usually

have the switch there, anyway[/quote']

I realize that, but to my righty eyes it's still the bottom horn. But the point is it shouldn't be there whether it's righty or lefty. See the photo I posted for proper placement.

switch on the horn.. not sheraton.

jack on the bottom.. not sheraton.

no mulit ply binding.. not sheraton. (at least one can't see any)

looks like green keystone tuners... not sheraton.

yet..

headstock and board are definately sheraton.

Now..

what that is I dunno..

but I certainly wish epi would put the jack on the bottom edge on the sheraton, but please no switch on the horn!

but I certainly wish epi would put the jack on the bottom edge on the sheraton

That's funny because I wish my Dot Studio had the jack on the top' date=' where the

plug wouldn't be in the way when I play on the couch or the bed. Maybe they

should have [i']both[/i].

I always use a right angle plug.. but I have to admit on the couch it's still kind of a drag.

I think the top would look cleaner. and those pesky accidental cord pulls wouldn't be so worrisome.

I've taken to leaving the last hole on the strap open. thread the cord through then up to the jack, so it pulls on the strap first.

And where's the jack??? Here's what it should look like:

z03.jpg

The thing that got my attention are the funky "f" holes. Now that I look at your photo, the F holes look about the same. Thanks for showing your photo.

The tree in the headstock looks a little out of whack also, but that could be the way they were manufactured in the '80's. Do you possibly have a shot of your headstock so that I can compare the 2? Thanks

I'm still curious as to the location of the jack. I'll send a question to the seller.

Ok one more question about this guitar. The seller says he replaced the tuners with Carvin. Are Carvin tuners good? and would that change affect the price. I was thinking of putting a bid of 500 bucks on this guitar. :-k

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Epiphone-Sheraton-II-ES335-Archtop-Guitar-w-Case_W0QQitemZ350085738358QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350085738358&_trkparms=72%3A1072%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Archived