Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Wood Used -- What is the TRUTH !!

CajunBlues

No' date=' it is softer than alder. Grained on the surface like mahogany, but soft enough to shave with a knife, rather than splinter. It looks like any old white punk wood, but it is not brittle like the firs or spruces can be, i.e., it doesn't chunk under a blade like a lot of stuff. I think it is scrap wood of the same asian "mahogany" stuff the top and back were made out of. The outside 2 pieces and the center piece are definitely red mahogany, and even though glued together from 6 pieces of wood (not all of which are the same wood) any lawyer could say "solid mahogany body" with a straight face because there is no plywood (or MDF), and it is definitely solid and it definitely has mahogany in it![/quote']

Basswood maybe?

Agathis?

Gibson only states on certain models(i.e. custom shop) that they use hunduran there.

If you ask me' date=' I think they've largely switched to african mahogany at this point in time, if not actually resorting to asian suppliers.[/quote']

Correct. Gibson is part of the Rainforest Alliance which protects harvesting (at least legal)

of any Honduras Mahogany still out there. They might still have a bit of it for necks

as it is the most stable wood for necks and some for backs/sides of their custom

flattops. If you see ribbon striped mahogany on solid bodies, that's the African

variety. Gibson still use korina (limba) AFAIK. For a while a few years ago, they

used all sorts of interesting woods (Smartwoods), such as Chetchen (alternative to

rosewood),

They even had a LP Smartwood Standard in '98. Mind you, there is no way any

smartwood can compare to flamed maple cap...and some exotic wood LPs made

of Mahogany backs, curapay fingerboards and tops made from rare and beautiful

exotic wods such as ambay, banara, caricharana, guasa, peroba or tapervya, each

harvested from a sustainable forest in Paraguay with some of the proceeds going

to the Rainforest Alliance.

Stew-Mac is still advertising " traditional South American " for dreadnought back/sides

so obviously it is still available at a premium price.

Just for perspective...how many of us eat hot dogs, bologna or salami...or even better...scrapple? Do you like them? Can you really say you know what the hell's in them? But you eat them anyway, right?

One certainly has the option of buying the "premium" bologna for $7.00 a lb and the butcher will even tell you the name of the dachshund he ran through the slicer to get those delectible slices of meaty goodness, but most of us (especially those of us on budgets) buy the $2.99 "God-Only-Knows-What's-In-There" brand. Slap a little mustard on there and you & your "modded" sammich are good to go.

Same goes for your guitars...if you're on a budget and "good" will have to do instead of "best," you buy an Epi. You may not know what it's made of, but it'll sound pretty good. You want it to sound a little better? Drop some new pickups in there.

If you want to be sure exactly what's in your guitar, and/or you just can't live with anything less than the best, buy the "premium" Gibson. But you know you'll be paying a "premium" price for it.

We've debated/questioned/*****ed about what Epi builds their guitars out of at least as long as I've been around this forum and Epi's still not tellin' or changing the practice. Don't expect them to anytime soon either.

No' date=' it is softer than alder. Grained on the surface like mahogany, but soft enough to shave with a knife, rather than splinter. It looks like any old white punk wood, but it is not brittle like the firs or spruces can be, i.e., it doesn't chunk under a blade like a lot of stuff. I think it is scrap wood of the same asian "mahogany" stuff the top and back were made out of. The outside 2 pieces and the center piece are definitely red mahogany, and even though glued together from 6 pieces of wood (not all of which are the same wood) any lawyer could say "solid mahogany body" with a straight face because there is no plywood (or MDF), and it is definitely solid and it definitely has mahogany in it![/quote']

I thought we discussed this a few weeks (months?) ago. It could be Agathis (kauri), which is a waxy wood similar

to white pine as it's a conifer. My Epi LP Custom has that wood, softer than alder but certainly not the mahoganies

that I'm familiar with like Luan which has a reddish tinge to it.

If you're going to buy an Asian guitar (of any brand) you're entering a lottery as far as wood quality goes. Quality is variable but value for money is generally good.

That's the problem with Epiphones in the standard line. I am lucky being in the Chicago area and being about 2 miles from both a SA and a GC. Epiphone makes consistant guitars using stock stuff but sometimes you get one that is better than the sum of the parts.

I have bought all my high end Gibson/Epiphone stuff from local guys but my G400s when I get them have to go to GC or SA to play all they have and find the best one. My local stores can only usually stock one model at time or maybe one or two in back.

I'm like RotcanX in that I have owned several G400s though the years and Gibson SGs. Every time I get a G400 I have to play a pile of them to find one I can deal with. The hollow body stuff doesn't seem to very as much as the solid body stuff.

I would feel safe ordering online a Gibson or Elitist if I had too, but not a standard Epiphone model.

it's an Indonesian variety of wood that is referred to as 'industrial mahogany' simply because the grain is reminiscent of genuine mahogany. The only 'real' mahogany on an Epi is the veneer of African mahogany that they apply to the back of the body. If you want a real mahogany guitar you need to get at least an Elitist which is solid African mahogany with a solid maple cap.

Indonesian or Philipino mahogany are as much a real mahogany as the African or Honduran. But generally speaking Honduran offers the better resonant qualities.

Gibson uses Honduras mahogany pretty much exclusively. They wouldn't be caught dead using the Indonesian stuff.

I understand there hasn't been a decent slab of Honduran since the 70s... IMO It's one of the reasons Gibson refrains from specifing what mahogany is used. Currently they will admit to using South-American mahogany at best.

So what the f*** is wrong with a solid alder body?

I paid good money for a solid alder strat body and got a great result with it. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a solid alder LP body.

Also' date=' you can great a great guitar with a 3 piece body (if the wood is good) and a crap guitar with a 1 piece...if that 1 piece is crap. None of this is an exact science.

[/quote']

Nothing wrong with alder, but I don't think it will work for a genuine LP-sound.

Good point. With 200 species of mahogany, about 60 species of maple IIRC. Different woodquality, woodselection, amount of slabs used, workmanship and construction per each factory... There's just too many factors weighing in to make statements of truth. General assumptions yes, truth definitely not.

If in fact that Dot I owned had an indonesian mahogany center block' date=' I really can't complain since I felt that wood had a lot to do with the great tone and sustain of that guitar.... [/quote']

Yeah, I had one of those too. Then I tried an Elitist, which has the 'correct' maple center block. So THAT's what great tone is; the Elitist rings like a bell. Needless to say I sold the dull-sounding Dot post haste.

FWIW It also comes in a white variety.

Right. but it's still Luan or Phillipine "mahogany", not the real traditional mahogany which is from the

South America of"sweitania" species.

Luan also spelt lauan can be any one of several species (~200) from

four different genera. They range in color from a very pale tan

(white mahogany) to dark cocoa and the grain can range from bold

like oak or pine to subtle grain and nearly uniform like mahogany.

It can be nearly as light as balsa or almost as dense as teak

and duarability varies as well.

So the "mystery wood" of our Epis is still remains as "asian variety", because only the factory that made it may know, and maybe only the wood procurer for that factory may even know the genera..or probably they don't care. Epiphone is not the only manufacturer of guitars to have this mystery wood situation..other brands that are made offshore probably are faced with the same dilema.

Correct. Gibson is part of the Rainforest Alliance which protects harvesting (at least legal)

of any Honduras Mahogany still out there. They might still have a bit of it for necks

as it is the most stable wood for necks and some for backs/sides of their custom

flattops. If you see ribbon striped mahogany on solid bodies' date=' that's the African

variety. Gibson still use korina (limba) AFAIK. For a while a few years ago, they

used all sorts of interesting woods (Smartwoods), such as Chetchen (alternative to

rosewood),

[/quote']

Actually, incorrect. Honduran mahogany is still widely available but, as part of International trade agreements, any such wood has to be proven to come from plantations as the natural wood growing in forests is protected. However there is a lot of this 'legal' Honduras mahogany available, although it is not considered to be as good as the old growth 'wild' stuff that Gibson used to use. I'm not seeing any African mahogany in Gibson guitars; the pattern would be hard to miss. You pretty much only see African mahogany on Elitists. Gibson uses Korina very seldom these days, as in very expensive limited edition Explorers and Flying Vs in the multi-thousand dollar price range. The standard Explorers and Vs are all mahogany now.

well if they're really cheap' date=' then they might as well use pine :- [/quote']

Pine would really look nice and be a lot lighter, but not as resonant. Wasn't there

a link to some guitars made from IKea tables on this forum not that long ago?

Hardwoods still seem to be the preferred choice for the bodies, but they do use sitka spruce for close grained

tops on acoustics..why not a glue a few spruce 2x2s together and slap on a maple cap

and see what comes out? :-

Indonesian or Philipino mahogany are as much a real mahogany as the African or Honduran. But generally speaking Honduran offers the better resonant qualities.

No, I'm afraid I can't agree with that. I've posted full information on this previously. In a nutshell, these woods are from completely unrelated species and they are only considered as 'mahoganies' from a trade definition point of view; as far as the lumber industry is concerned they're not even close. Anyone who has marginal experience with the genuine mahoganies can tell at a glance that these woods are not related and are similar to mahogany in only the barest superficial sense. The quarter grain, for example, is completely different and completely lacks the delicate figuring of genuine mahogany.

Actually' date=' incorrect. Honduran mahogany is still widely available but, as part of International trade agreements, any such wood has to be proven to come from plantations as the natural wood growing in forests is protected. However there is a lot of this 'legal' Honduras mahogany available, although it is not considered to be as good as the old growth 'wild' stuff that Gibson used to use. .[/quote']

Ok, I stand corrected, Spud.

I should have checked up on the plantation Honduras mahogany sources first, I guess.

From internet sources, they seem to have some in the Carribean and S.A.

Although now it probably takes many years for a genuine sweitenia mahogany tree to grow (30-50yrs?) to get any

sizable lumber from it, but with plantation tree management, at least the world's supply for guitars and

other uses will still be available for future generations, even if it's becoming more expensive.

well if they're really cheap' date=' then they might as well use pine :- [/quote']

Some violin makers have in recent years seen pine to be among the finest tonewood for upper midrange and high sounds, while yielding the least nasal tones.

So it wouldn't be the worst thing, really.

Just for perspective...how many of us eat hot dogs' date=' bologna or salami...or even better...scrapple? Do you like them? Can you really say you know what the hell's in them? But you eat them anyway, right?

One certainly has the option of buying the "premium" bologna for $7.00 a lb and the butcher will even tell you the name of the dachshund he ran through the slicer to get those delectible slices of meaty goodness, but most of us (especially those of us on budgets) buy the $2.99 "God-Only-Knows-What's-In-There" brand. Slap a little mustard on there and you & your "modded" sammich are good to go.

Same goes for your guitars...if you're on a budget and "good" will have to do instead of "best," you buy an Epi. You may not know what it's made of, but it'll sound pretty good. You want it to sound a little better? Drop some new pickups in there.

If you want to be sure exactly what's in your guitar, and/or you just can't live with anything less than the best, buy the "premium" Gibson. But you know you'll be paying a "premium" price for it.

We've debated/questioned/*****ed about what Epi builds their guitars out of at least as long as I've been around this forum and Epi's still not tellin' or changing the practice. Don't expect them to anytime soon either.

[/quote']

I'm liking this analogy....in the "guitar deli" epi is the bologna of guitars and gibson is the pastrami on rye....or something like that! How much is it for a side of cole slaw and a kosher pickle?:-