Gibson Brands Forums

Another one

Recycled Rocker

I printed off the graph and substituted some signal amplitude values on the left side (Y axis).

If we are talking about the effects of a 1 meg tone pot vs a 500k or 250K.....

a) assuming 6 db signal amplitude (pickup is the signal source' date=' so this may not be the right value) per graduation..

its roughly about 2 -3 db or so difference between the 1 meg and 500k tone pot.

:- if it's only 3db per graduation, then it's roughly about 1-2 db of signal amplitude difference at the same frequency band.

According to my recollection power doubles every 3 db and signal voltage every 6 db, but this is based on the dbm (db milliwatt) way of measuring, which the telecommunication companies use as there has to be a reference.

So from what I can figure out, as you decrease the resistive load (pot) from 500k to 1 meg, the resistive loading effect on the volume control is lessened, but the tone cap is still in the circuit and you will still get attenuation of the signal depending on where the volume and tone controls are set, but not as much as before.

comments?

[/quote']

I have no disagreements with this assessment whatsoever. Particularly when it comes to discourse in regards to the tone cap.

The only other additional comment? From a financial perspective, a 10 dollar experiment against cheap Epiphone pickups may be worth the effort if the alternative is spending hundreds of dollars on replacement pickups, particularly the P-90's which emphasize a brighter, punchier sound in terms of presence.

(And, at the end of the day, there are no scientific measurements for individual taste....)

Archived