Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra

JefferySmith

I love cherry sunburst. And natural. I've never been a big fan of vs' date=' though.[/quote']

I go in cycles. When I was a teen, I wanted a cherry ES 335 but settled for the less expensive vintage sunburst. Recently, I've gotten mostly natural. Now that the sunburst and cherry dots have been discontinued, it has given me GAS for a sunburst. Fortunately, I get GAS for non-existent models.

Well, I had an Ultra once, not long after they came out...but I did not

keep it for many of the reasons lot's of people seem to like them, it

just wasn't LP-ish enough in tone and feel...not dissing them, just

wasn't for me.

Well' date=' I had an Ultra once, not long after they came out...but I did not

keep it for many of the reasons lot's of people seem to like them, it

just wasn't LP-ish enough in tone and feel...not dissing them, just

wasn't for me. [/quote']

You are totally right...I love it for the reasons you don't...and it's why there is so many models of guitars.

I don't really understand why you guys love the contour so much. I never even noticed the switch to the CC i've been playing more recently, although that could just be the way I hold the guitar or something.

Here's my opinion on it:

The Ultra is comfortable and feels like coming home when i play it. myabe because it was my main guitar for a while, but it just fits me. I don't notice the thick body or thick neck when I play it, so it's easy to concentrate on my playing. But therein lies it's fault. It's too normal and too plain. I didn't realize this until I got the CC. It just feels and sounds boring. Though you must also consider that I play AC/DC and I expect a bright sharp sound that the chambers take away from somewhat.

So I'd say it's a comfortable guitar for Jazz/Blues, or anything that doesn't require medium to heavy distortion.

I have had the Ultra for a couple of months. I was going to get a Standard until I picked up the Ultra and noticed the weight difference. Some say that you have to have the non chamerdd body to get the true LP sound. I've got five of them and they all sound different.

The workmanship is great. It has the wow factor when I play it on a gig. I'm doing a concert with a jazz group this afternoon in a small town...bandshell in the park thing. It has great bottom end when played through my Blues Deluxe.

Just a quick add: There is not a picture in the world that does justice to the Faded Cherry of the Ultra ... INCLUDING THE ONE ON EPIPHONES SITE. You really have to see it in person to appreciate the flame on this guitar. Plays like a top too!:D

I have a Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan 59s and an Ultra II. I love (not like in a man crush[-x ) both of them equally. I plan on moving the 59s to the Ultra II and getting a set of EMG Zakk Wylde 81 / 85 Pickup Set to go in the Standard. I think that he 59s mixed in with the nanomag will sound awesome. The nanomag, though not truely an acoustic sound, does add to the mix really good. I play through a Line 6 PODx3 and run the HBs through one chain and the nano mag through an acoustic chain in most of my banks. On some of the more dirty channels, I use a similar chain for the nanomag and HBs. The nanomag really compliments the overall tone. I don't see me selling either guitar. they both have their own great qualities.

Just a quick add: There is not a picture in the world that does justice to the Faded Cherry of the Ultra ... INCLUDING THE ONE ON EPIPHONES SITE. You really have to see it in person to appreciate the flame on this guitar. Plays like a top too!:-

Exactly what I think...+1

• 3 months later...
Yep; that was TedVanFrehley that had the man crush on his Ultra. I think old Ted mentioned it in every post he made. Never said another word about it after getting his Gibby. Seems like he got a Studio model. For all purposes the Ultra was probably the better playing of the two.

You are right on this one. I have just traded in my Gibson Studio Les Paul for a epi ultra. I just like the neck of the ultra way more. The pickups lack somewhat but they can be changed at a later date. I don't like gold hardware either but I can live with it. It is the neck of the ultra I find so playable.

Just a quick add: There is not a picture in the world that does justice to the Faded Cherry of the Ultra ... INCLUDING THE ONE ON EPIPHONES SITE. You really have to see it in person to appreciate the flame on this guitar. Plays like a top too![-o<

Oh yeah? I think I've caught it a few times...

guitar001.jpg

pickguardLP001medium.jpg

HPIM0055small.jpg

2007_0628Image0006.jpg

Archived