Gibson Brands Forums

noob speaker ohm question

tele63

I didn't read the article but forgive me if this was emphasized ...... tube amps you MUST use the correct ohmage for long output transformer life and maximum power transfer. solid state amps are way more adaptable to various ohms.

... my question is how would a 4 or 8ohm replacement speaker affect the amps efficiency?

Amp efficiency and end-product (speaker tone) --- are they equal? Maybe so.

Amp/speaker tone is what we're all really trying to maximize' date=' right?

It seems counter intuitive but low watt tube amps sound better running higher ohm speakers..., and more so when you are playing at higher db levels --- every rock guitarist's nirvana level.

Result = at 5 watts VJr. performs best, sonically, running a 16 ohm speaker(s) load. My experiments with 4, 8 & 16 ohm loads matched to VJr. outputs (using same speakers wired differently) have confirmed this to my ears (and a few friends). Web articles discuss why. Here is one of interest: http://www.zeroimpedance.com/faq.html#2) [i']Ignore the product sales pitch and look at #16 - 17.[/i] So maybe, just maybe, ol' Epiphone did know a thing or two after all and that why EPI used a 16 ohm speaker in the matching VJr. cab.

...tele63 --- WELCOME to the forum!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived