Gibson Brands Forums

335 dot, LP Custom midnight or LP plain top?

Ligeress

Hi

I am buying a guitar for my boy and I am not sure which one to get. It needs to be versatile - to play rock, blues, and also melodic clean tunes. I am choosign between the 335 dot, the LP custom midnight edition or the LP plain top...

Which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

L. :-

I'll second the recommendation on the Dot with one caveat. It's a big guitar & not sure how old/big your boy is. May want to test drive for fit first. I've got a lot of guitars (including a Gibby LP Standard) and my Dot is up to the task for versatility, tone, playability, etc. No regrets here.

+1 on the "Dot!"

If he's just learning, the stock pickups will be fine, for now...

You can always upgrade, later. Sheratons and Rivieras (if you can find them)

are good choices, too. Les Paul's are great guitars, but the "Dot" is

probably more versatile. Can go from LP like distortion, to jazz clean, and has

the "warmth" of a semi-hollow body, that you don't get with a solid body.

Sheratons are a fancier version (some current ones, have full size humbucker pickups, but the USA

and Japanese "Elitist" versions had/have "minis" like the Rivieras. Riviera's (traditionally) have

"mini" humbuckers. But even some of those, have "full sized" humbuckers, too.) So...

Mini's have the "humbucker tone," but have bit more "bite," similar to a single coil P-90.

Just depends, on what you're after, as to which is "better."

CB

Agreed with that. I don't know how old he is but as one of the younger people around here I can tell you that visual appeal is just as much a big deal than sound to start with. Might be worth showing him pictures and asking him which one he likes better.

Agreed with that. I don't know how old he is but as one of the younger people around here I can tell you that visual appeal is just as much a big deal than sound to start with. Might be worth showing him pictures and asking him which one he likes better.

I agree, too. I thought, since you had mentioned 3 specific models, you and your son had already

done the "visual" decision, and had picked those 3 out. But, if not...definitely let him see which he

prefers. Doesn't matter how versatile it is, if he won't play it...

CB

I agree' date=' too. I thought, since you had mentioned 3 specific models, you and your son had already

done the "visual" decision, and had picked those 3 out. But, if not...definitely let him see which he

prefers. Doesn't matter how versatile it is, if he won't play it...

CB[/quote']

thats the truth!

Hehe, I just ducked out to lunch and came back to read the replies and realize everyone thought I had a son! eeek. I am 25 and I am buying the guitar for my husband, who is 26. Sorry for the confusion :) He's been playing for 10 years and is very good. He prefers the Gibsons/Epiphones, whereas I prefer the smaller necks of Fenders (am I allowed to say that on here?).

I am really looking to get him a versatile guitar that he can play in a band. I was leaning towards the LP custom Midnight edition and have already ordered one, but now am worried I should have got the dot. He actually looked at a dot a little while back, but I thought he only wanted it cos it was a bit cheaper than the LP.

Hey Dalron, (yay NSW!), I was thinking of buying it from Allans Music in the city - you know it? Cos they do a 3 payment option, which is perfect for me.

Oh I am really confused now. I am not sure whether to change my order or just give him teh LP custom midnight and if he doesn't like it, we can swap it. We have 10 days to swap it if we want.

Can the LP custom midnight be played clean? It's just that out of all teh reviews I read, the Epiphone dot got the worst write up and teh LP custom got the best. Help!

Hehe' date=' I just ducked out to lunch and came back to read the replies and realize everyone thought I had a son! eeek. I am 25 and I am buying the guitar for my husband, who is 26. Sorry for the confusion :) He's been playing for 10 years and is very good. He prefers the Gibsons/Epiphones, whereas I prefer the smaller necks of Fenders (am I allowed to say that on here?).

I am really looking to get him a versatile guitar that he can play in a band. I was leaning towards the LP custom Midnight edition and have already ordered one, but now am worried I should have got the dot. He actually looked at a dot a little while back, but I thought he only wanted it cos it was a bit cheaper than the LP.

Hey Dalron, (yay NSW!), I was thinking of buying it from Allans Music in the city - you know it? Cos they do a 3 payment option, which is perfect for me.

Oh I am really confused now. I am not sure whether to change my order or just give him teh LP custom midnight and if he doesn't like it, we can swap it. We have 10 days to swap it if we want.

Can the LP custom midnight be played clean? It's just that out of all teh reviews I read, the Epiphone dot got the worst write up and teh LP custom got the best. Help![/quote']

Eh, I'm going to buck the trend.....yes, the Custom Midnight can be played clean. And those EMG's are very responsive. In fact, I think the EMG's get a bad rap, although in terms of tone for those folks who typically play with light to moderate crunch, yes, the classic pickups tend to be more in line.

The Dot is probably the best value for your money...but as far as the Midnight goes? That guitar offers the least amount of incentive for any major aftermarket modifications.

It also depends on what your husband already has. If he has another solidbody guitar with humbuckers and no archtop....yet another argument for the Dot. If he doesn't, then the Midnight is a must-have. If it's a case of having solid body guitar he wants to customize, then the LP Standard is the way to go. (although I would recommend the plus model if it's a case of going that route...very nice.)

Decisions, decisions....

EDIT: Let's give this post some GAS....

LPMidnight.gif

Ooh thank you for writing back The_Sentry. Now, i did look at the LP Standard Plus. So it is a 3 way between that one, the midnight and the 335 dot.

My hubby doesn't have any other decent electric. We have about 8 acoustics in the house, my new pink bass (yay!) and now I want to complete the set by getting him a smokin hot electric. But I know he isn't into metal, and probably won't play metal. He likes stuff like the pixies, sebadoh, silversun pickups, beatles, led zeppelin, white stripes....

So going by your advice, if this is his only electric guitar - you think the midnight?? I don't think he'll mind about modifications. I just want it to sound nice and be versatile. If you say the midnight EMG pickups can play clean, that is good!

Ooh thank you for writing back The_Sentry. Now' date=' i did look at the LP Standard Plus. So it is a 3 way between that one, the midnight and the 335 dot.

My hubby doesn't have any other decent electric. We have about 8 acoustics in the house, my new pink bass (yay!) and now I want to complete the set by getting him a smokin hot electric. But I know he isn't into metal, and probably won't play metal. He likes stuff like the pixies, sebadoh, silversun pickups, beatles, led zeppelin, white stripes....

So going by your advice, if this is his only electric guitar - you think the midnight?? I don't think he'll mind about modifications. I just want it to sound nice and be versatile. If you say the midnight EMG pickups can play clean, that is good![/quote']

I own a LP Custom, which is the template for the Midnight. The neck is great on it (low, fast action, and the fingerboard feels a tad wider than on the LP Standards), and I've known enough folks that as far as a heavy Les Paul sound, there is this argument that the EMG's may be the closest to deliver that in light of how Epiphones are great guitars...but they're not quite Gibsons. There are some differences, but as long as he changes that 9 volt for the active pickups every few months (they last a long, long time) he'll probably love that guitar.

(Granted, you're talking to a guy who likes Les Pauls so much I own 3 different models. And, a couple of strats. The only thing that might need to be done post-online order is a setup on the action, but that shouldn't be too much of a chore. I think your husband will love the Midnight....it's a fine guitar for getting that heavy Les Paul sound that is a staple of classic rock, and it's versatile enough to go with a lighter crunch or a clean tone.)

Ooh thank you for writing back The_Sentry. Now' date=' i did look at the LP Standard Plus. So it is a 3 way between that one, the midnight and the 335 dot.

So going by your advice, if this is his only electric guitar - you think the midnight?? I don't think he'll mind about modifications. I just want it to sound nice and be versatile. If you say the midnight EMG pickups can play clean, that is good![/quote']

Not sure what you budget is, but a gibson BFG les paul or gibson LPVM is look-into-able.

The BFG is versatile, due to a unique pickup arrangement, for everything from country to punk to classic to metal.

The looks aren't very frilly or civilized. It has no inlays, the maple top is textured instead of smooth, and the knobs are wood. It looks fairly "industrial". Also, it's limited edition, gibson says there will only be 800 made.

460864.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-BFG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512579

The les paul vintage mahogany(LPVM) is more liek the classic les paul, but it lacks the maple cap. This makes it have a warmer tone, with less "snap" and high end. It's plain wood, the pickups aren't high-output or anything special. It does have inlays and chrome hardware.

274115.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

I think your hubby might just like the thrill of being suprised with a gibson, even more.

Also, they all come with hardshell cases, which is a $60-80 expense you have to deal with on epis, which don't.

Just a thought.

Iansmitchell' date='

L's looking to buy in Australia, mate. Gibsons are way overpriced down here: at least double the Musiciansfriend price for those two you have mentioned.[/quote']

For real?

Damn, why do people LIVE there?

Anyway, I guess disregard my post, or take him on a vacation to america and have the guit-fiddle waiting in your hotel room.

That'd be so awesome to do...

Hehe, if you give me the money iansmitchell, I will send my man and I over to the US! We want to live in Austin and do all the awesome music festivals there, but for now, it looks like Sydney is it.

Epiphones are definitely about my budget. It is not even a significant birthday, it is his 26th!

I think I am almost 99% decided on the Epiphone LP custom. i want to try and get it in Alpine White. I think it is beautiful.

The Midnight sounds a bit scary and metal orientated. I think a plain LP custom should do it??

For real?

Damn' date=' why do people LIVE there?

[/quote']

'Cause it's the greatest country in the world!! thumbsup4kk.gif

Except for guitar and amp prices. I bought a Super Dot a couple of months ago: AU$800 without a case! At Musiciansfriend US$399. As the AU$ and the US$ are almost on par at the moment, you can see we're kinda ripped off. m2hmad2.gif

The Midnight sounds a bit scary and metal orientated. I think a plain LP custom should do it??

I know these things are very subjective, but I bought an ESP LTD EC-500C a year or two ago with EMG active pickups and sold it within a month. I hated those active pickups within a couple of hours of opening the box. I don't know why, it was just one of those things.

It's the only guitar I've ever sold and not had a moment's regret (although I wish I kept the case!).

'Cause it's the greatest country in the world!! thumbsup4kk.gif

Except for guitar and amp prices. I bought a Super Dot a couple of months ago: AU$800 without a case! At Musiciansfriend US$399. As the AU$ and the US$ are almost on par at the moment' date=' you can see we're kinda ripped off. [img']http://img17.exs.cx/img17/4829/m2hmad2.gif[/img]

Yes...

Deserts....

It gets COLDER when you go SOUTH.

Nah man, auss's cool.

And if you can't buy a cheeseburger for a buck, you're not on par with the dollar.

I don't care what banks will tell you.

Hey, if you've already ordered the LP Custom...Great! It's a

great guitar! I'm sure, if he's as acomplished as you say, he'll

be able to do whatever he wants, on it. No problem! "Pickups"

are a matter of personal preference, anyway. And, they can be

changed out, if he decides they "aren't right." So...I'd say just

enjoy your purchase, and get a "Dot" or Sheraton, whatever...Later!

There's never just "One" guitar....you've already discovered that,

with all your acoustics, huh? LOL!

CB

Archived