Gibson Brands Forums

335 dot, LP Custom midnight or LP plain top?

Ligeress

I know these things are very subjective' date=' but I bought an ESP LTD EC-500C a year or two ago with EMG active pickups and sold it within a month. I hated those active pickups within a couple of hours of opening the box. I don't know why, it was just one of those things.

It's the only guitar I've ever sold and not had a moment's regret (although I wish I kept the case!).

[/quote']

Hahah....Those are ESP's. Slightly different beast. I also used to be sort of biased about those EMG's until I ran into this blues guitar player in Virginia who had a Washburn Les Paul copy with 'em installed. Granted, this was a guy whose primary playing consisted of classic rock and blues covers....and I can't deny the nice, creamy crunch he got when he plugged into a Fender Deluxe amp and went to town.

You are right Charlie brown. I am sure we will buy him mroe guitars and amps etc down the line. This is just so he can join a band pretty quick and start playing.

Ok, I need to get the LP custom ordered asap. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, sheesh. I hope he likes it! I feel weary after reading all these guitar reviews. I never knew there was so much lingo and technical stuff involved.....humbucker, EMG, 81, 585734, wah wah, cry baby, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

.... a guy whose primary playing consisted of classic rock and blues covers....and I can't deny the nice' date=' creamy crunch he got when he plugged into a Fender Deluxe amp and went to town. [/quote']

That's interesting because as you can tell from sig, the blues are where it's at. band.gif

Now I'm a firm believer that the blues can be played on any guitar that produces notes by a player whose emotions transmit to his fingers. However, the EMGs just felt so 'non-blues' for me. As I said, I can't explain why I felt that way and what you've posted shows I'm wrong.

Anyway, the sale of the ESP gave me part of the money for an Art & Lutherie Canadian-built acoustic and my Super Dot and I'm waaaay happier with them.

You are right Charlie brown. I am sure we will buy him mroe guitars and amps etc down the line. This is just so he can join a band pretty quick and start playing.

Ok' date=' I need to get the LP custom ordered asap. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, sheesh. I hope he likes it! I feel weary after reading all these guitar reviews. I never knew there was so much lingo and technical stuff involved.....humbucker, EMG, 81, 585734, wah wah, cry baby, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah![/quote']

Hmmm.....So it's the custom then, and not the Midnight?

Be forewarned...the pickups aren't quite the same. (But anyways, if he's only going to start with one guitar, can't go wrong with a Les Paul model.)

That's interesting because as you can tell from sig' date=' the blues are where it's at. [img']http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/band.gif[/img]

Now I'm a firm believer that the blues can be played on any guitar that produces notes by a player whose emotions transmit to his fingers. However, the EMGs just felt so 'non-blues' for me. As I said, I can't explain why I felt that way and what you've posted shows I'm wrong.

Anyway, the sale of the ESP gave me part of the money for an Art & Lutherie Canadian-built acoustic and my Super Dot and I'm waaaay happier with them.

When I was moving out to California, I had a chance to work on an in-laws ESP. It was another one of those Les Paul-ish guitars but it had a really weird finish on it. (Like someone had coated it with rubber or something.) THAT guitar was probably made more for hard rock/metal.

But as far as this guy went, (and as someone who plays at a blues club once a week for kicks) his style wasn't per se traditional....he was more into getting a Duane Allman/Billy Gibbons/60's Clapton feel. The action on his guitar was also a bit higher because he spent a lot of time playing slide. But I'm pretty sure that the Washburn wouldn't have delivered without those EMG's. I know they're not for everyone, but if it's the case of a smokin' hot guitar, those aren't bad pickups to consider at all...

Yep, I'm sorry The_Sentry, but I am too scared to get the midnight. It could be one we add to the collection as time goes by, along with a dot and a fender for me :)

The Alpine White LP custom is seriously smokin hot. I love it. And I think my man will too! I'll keep you updated, although his birthday isn't for another 7 weeks. I just wanted to make sure I got it ordered in time etc.

Thanks Dalron for clarifying GAS, cos I was totally lost on that one. I think my husband has GAS (in all its many forms), but especially related to guitars. I just like the pink ones. ha.

Ok' date=' I need to get the LP custom ordered asap. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, sheesh. I hope he likes it! I feel weary after reading all these guitar reviews. I never knew there was so much lingo and technical stuff involved.....humbucker, EMG, 81, 585734, wah wah, cry baby, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah![/quote']

Oh, I'm sorry...Ligeress...I thought you said you'd already ordered that guitar, earlier.

Well, Any of the ones you discussed, will work! It's really the "player and not the guitar!"

So...breath deep, relax....it will be alright. ;>) I'm sure, if it's a gift from you, he'll love it!

CB

Yep' date=' I'm sorry The_Sentry, but I am too scared to get the midnight. It could be one we add to the collection as time goes by, along with a dot and a fender for me :)

The Alpine White LP custom is seriously smokin hot. I love it. And I think my man will too! I'll keep you updated, although his birthday isn't for another 7 weeks. I just wanted to make sure I got it ordered in time etc.

Thanks Dalron for clarifying GAS, cos I was totally lost on that one. I think my husband has GAS (in all its many forms), but especially related to guitars. I just like the pink ones. ha.[/quote']

One thing about the Customs.....the pickups (mine were, and I've read this in a lot of reviews)...tend to sound a bit darker than in the standard models. I ended up replacing those. But looks wise? Yeah...those guitars definitely turn heads.

Sigh...I suppose I can't blame you for this....(I knew I was sure taken by that tuxedo look when I laid eyes on the Custom...)

Honestly, how could you blame me? The custom is beautiful, especially in Alpine White. Sigh. I can't wait to pick it up!

I do thank you all for your help, it kinda helped me filter out which ones I didn't really want.

I'm just buying the guitar, and hubby can do all the fancy modification stuff. I'm not majorly into that. I like plodding along, playing my acoustic and my new pink bass!

Honestly' date=' how could you blame me? The custom is beautiful, especially in Alpine White. Sigh. I can't wait to pick it up!

I do thank you all for your help, it kinda helped me filter out which ones I didn't really want.

I'm just buying the guitar, and hubby can do all the fancy modification stuff. I'm not majorly into that. I like plodding along, playing my acoustic and my new pink bass! [/quote']

Jah....(although you'd be hard pressed to convince me the white looks better than the black tuxedos! Ha!)

Allright...GAS for YOU!

epiphone-les-paul-custom-alpine-white.jpg

Oh my god the Alpine White is seriously way hotter than the black! The black is boring and woudl get fingermarks all over it. I think the white is the sexiest thing I've ever seen, apart from the arctic white strat of course. mmm.

For real?

Damn' date=' why do people LIVE there?

Anyway, I guess disregard my post, or take him on a vacation to america and have the guit-fiddle waiting in your hotel room.

That'd be so awesome to do...[/quote']

It's the Vegemite and the meat pies mate!!

Bloody awesome!

Dig

Oh my god the Alpine White is seriously way hotter than the black! The black is boring and woudl get fingermarks all over it. I think the white is the sexiest thing I've ever seen' date=' apart from the arctic white strat of course. mmm.[/quote']

Ha!

(You're hurtin' my feelings, here, Ligress!!!)

Granted, mine's a bit of a mongrel, but that's how I roll...

group1.jpg

No no, yours is totally beautiful too. I do like the black. It is smart. I just prefer the white, it could be the girl in me! Plus I know hubby had a white epiphone when we lived in the UK, so I think it is a safer bet for me. They should make the custom in PINK!

No no' date=' yours is totally beautiful too. I do like the black. It is smart. I just prefer the white, it could be the girl in me! Plus I know hubby had a white epiphone when we lived in the UK, so I think it is a safer bet for me. They should make the custom in PINK![/quote']

Nah...the white is pretty sharp. I can't blame you for wanting it. Plus, shouldn't the guitar have a wee bit of a feminine touch anyway since this is a gift?

:)/

Yep, i think the white will be perfect, a bit of my feminine touch, and the rest is just totally sexy.

Ok, I am going home now! I have spent my entire day at work researching guitars eeep.

Thanks for your help everyone! I like people who play guitars :)

Archived