Gibson Brands Forums

What's the wattage of the main amp you use?

Funkwire

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly AD30VT, but also Valve Jr Combo.

The other night I ran my guitar to the RP350 and then ran the RP350 to both amps. Bypassed the effects on the RP350 and just used the AD30VT for some effects, combined with some Vjr. Ended up getting some nice sound out of combining them.

Yes sir I have seen it before, but didn't remember from where or what it said though.

Use to be a Mothers fan in my yonger days myself. Altough haven't played any of Franks music in a long long while. They're LPs and in storage...heck been there for so long don't remember what I got anymore to tell the truth. I do know I got a Flo and Eddie LP amongst them. One of these days I'll get around to getting me a turntable again.

My main amp is my Marshall AVT50 50-watt head and a 4x12 (I have another identical for backup...well, not technically identical since the backup's a newer AVT "X" series setup), and I have never had to turn it up past 12:30 or 1 o'clock at the most. People can say what they want about hybrid amps (or import Epiphones, for that matter), but with a little tweaking I can make both sound as good as any tube amp on a live stage or in the studio. Sure, it takes a while to coax it out, but when you've found your sweet spot, it'll never fail to put out. Actually I'm looking into a decent 2x12 cab though, for smaller stages.

Coincidentally, my smaller rig right now is a mid 70's Marshall Master Lead Combo, which is an open back 2x12 and I believe only about 30 watts...of all-SOLID STATE power! And it sounds almost exactly like my buddy's JMP when gained-out, or can sound like a JCM800 with the trusty BOSS Blues Driver.

I never got the warmth and satisfaction out of my old 100+ watt Fenders like I do from half that amount in Marshall watts. Unless you're playing arenas and can actually push a 100watt setup to the max it doesn't really do you any good to have all that extra power. And my FAVORITE tone I ever got, oddly enough came from the JTM30 2x10 30watt Marshall (which I STILL kick myself for getting rid of) through a cosmetically-matching (yet mismatched impedence wise) Marshall 4x10 cab. Oh if I could turn back time and just rewire that 4x10 to 8 ohms, I'd have been a superstar by now. :D

H-Bomb

My favorite amp is my Weber 6M45 (45 watts) into a 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30s. It is a JTM45 clone. It is a very warm sounding amp, and louder than I will ever need.

A close second would be my Weber 6M18TMB (18 Watts), also into a 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30s, another Marshall clone. This one is a little darker sounding, but very warm.

Third would be my Marshall DSL 100 into 1960 A & B cabs. The 1960 cabs give it a little brighter sound than top two, but some days I prefer it.

After that would be my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe loaded with a Vintage 30. I'm not really a Fender guy when it comes to amps, but the Vintage 30 sold me on this one. I will have to say that I do prefer a closed back cab though.

Then would be my Vox AD30VT. It has some decent sounds that can be tweaked out of it. If I was gonna do a gig somewhere and didn't want to lug a lot of equipment, this would be the one.

I also have an old Peavey Renown that I bought new back in the early '80s. It really has descent dirty and clean channels, but it weighs a ton. I've thought about selling it a few times, but I wouldn't get squat out of it.

At home / for recording: Vox AD30 VT

Out & about: Laney VC30 1x12 (followed by the Vox when the Laney blows a tube / breaks down / starts making horrible noises)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with Laney problems. Right now the distortion on my VC30 does not distort. It just makes a faint clean sound. The clean channel is still fine, but I don't know if I want to put any more money into it or just get rid of it.

Problem is when it works right sounds better than most of my amps and is almost 1/3 as loud = usable for home.

...of course I still have the old Peavey Renown kicking around in the attic... 160 watts RMS into a pair of Scorpion 12" speakers. What?

Looks a lot like this:

img1274646613f31bfcdb.jpg

...except mine's in way better condition.

Ha! I used to own one of those!

It ate Marshall stacks for breakfast....

...of course I still have the old Peavey Renown kicking around in the attic... 160 watts RMS into a pair of Scorpion 12" speakers. What?

Looks a lot like this:

img1274646613f31bfcdb.jpg

...except mine's in way better condition.

Mine is too' date=' and yeah, it is really loud!

[img']http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jcwillow777/Warrior/Renownfornet.jpg[/img]

Mine is too' date=' and yeah, it is really loud!

[/quote']

I've had loud amps and I've have really good sounding amps, but I've never had a really good sounding loud amp. The loud amps got played at 2 or 3 because everyone kept telling me to turn down. The best ones were those that I could play in the 12:00 position without blowing the ears off the audience. I've found that a good 50 watt amp pushed to the mid point is much more satisfying to my ears. If I need more volume, I get out the SM57 and pipe it into the PA.

Fender Deluxe or Peavey Transtube Bandit w/ Sheffield - 80 watts.

Unknown brand 30 watt acoustic amp for acoustics. Best sounding acoustic amp I've ever had.

Bluestringer, I thought. If you are interested in id'ing that amp, write down any patent numbers and see if US Govt will give you info

I've had loud amps and I've have really good sounding amps' date=' but I've never had a really good sounding loud amp. The loud amps got played at 2 or 3 because everyone kept telling me to turn down. The best ones were those that I could play in the 12:00 position without blowing the ears off the audience. I've found that a good 50 watt amp pushed to the mid point is much more satisfying to my ears. If I need more volume, I get out the SM57 and pipe it into the PA.[/quote']

Not sure I can totally agree. I have several amps that can get really loud, but my ears can't take it any more. And they are great sounding amps. I can't play any of my amps at 12 o'clock or more or I'll blow everyone away, including myself. That's why I use as many pedals as I do, so I can dial in the sound I want and not be too loud. I always mic my amp when I play, so it is more or less just a monitor for me. My favorite amp is a 45 watt tube amp, it sounds great, but I can't crank it to 12:00. That is just too loud for me. I've got an 18 watt tube amp that I use to practice with in my basement. I love the tones I get out of it, but I can't crank it past 1 1/2 - 2 or my wife starts turning the lights on and off on me.

As far as the Renown being loud, I wasn't saying it is a great amp because it is loud, I was just saying it is loud. In it's day it was a very good sounding amp, loud or soft. I bought it in the 80's mainly for the dirty channel, but the amp is in need of some work. I'm not sure I really want to stick any money into it. It is good enough for what I use it for, so I will use it as is until it dies. I was just surprised someone else here had one, besides me. So no, it isn't a great amp, just okay.

Red knob? Same here!!!

Mine's heavy too. I keep it upstairs 85% of the time' date=' contemplating taking the casters off... Every time I'm about to, a Jam opportunity comes up and I'm glad to have 'em.

And yep, LOVES pedals.

I have mine on "high", but i take the two middle 6L6's out for 50 watt setting, perfect balance for me.

Needs new speakers soon, getting some eminence texas heats.

You want one of my old one to build a 1x12 cab? That would be pretty economical, plus they're already broken in![/quote']

I think the red knob Twin's are a bit older. Mine has the black knobs. I just leave the casters on. It's a great amp, one of the best I've ever played. Got it at a killer price, too!

Hmm.. I should try that taking out the tubes thing. Do you notice a considerable drop in volume and tone by doing this? I have no issue playing it at low volumes for now, but if it sounds better pushing two 6L6's instead of four.. Definately worth trying. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the offer, but I have a pair of celestions laying about unused, so I just need an enclosure for 'em. Either a 2x12, or even two 1x12's.

Oh.. Lemme' know how those Texas Heats work out. I've heard good things about them.

I think the red knob Twin's are a bit older. Mine has the black knobs. I just leave the casters on. It's a great amp' date=' one of the best I've ever played. Got it at a killer price, too!

Hmm.. I should try that taking out the tubes thing. Do you notice a considerable drop in volume and tone by doing this? I have no issue playing it at low volumes for now, but if it sounds better pushing two 6L6's instead of four.. Definately worth trying. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the offer, but I have a pair of celestions laying about unused, so I just need an enclosure for 'em. Either a 2x12, or even two 1x12's.

Oh.. Lemme' know how those Texas Heats work out. I've heard good things about them.[/quote']

Well, mine's from between 1988 and 1994, taht's when they did red knobs.

I got a sweet deal on mine. 400 bucks with a new set of tubes thrown in.

Well, the volume DOES go down (5 is pretty much the new 3.) but the bggest difference is the gain sounds like it's pushing the power amps tubes instead of the preamps so much. More warm, sweet, and full, IMO.

The tone is improved at the same volumes.

I can turn the clean amp all the way up and get an SRV or allman brothers kind of sound.

I also prefer to run it in parallel(clean and drive channels at the same time) this way, setting the EQ to my tastes.

I've considered taking my casters off, but every time I wanna, another jam with a drummer or a bassist with a 4x12 comes up...

Well, I'll probably end up putting them in the HCEG's spam thread, then free stuff if that doesn't work out.

Or if I find a valve junior head for under 60 bucks I'll see about building a case with an amp in it like the old silvertones. #-o

I've heard they can be a bit too honky, I'm thinking of looking into webers, but I'm really not sure.

Hey Mr. IansMitchell..

Removed the two middle 6L6's from my Twin, set the switch to full power. Yeeow! Considerably more responsive! My clean channel has more presence.. more ballsy! Geez! I was doing this amp a disservice by keeping it at the 25 watt setting on four power tubes! Don't I feel duhhh..

Thanks for the tip, good sir!

I use a Paevy Bandit 80 watts.......I have another grandaughter that has me teaching her as I learn....I am getting her a

The Fender-designed G-DEC Junior Guitar Digital Entertainment Center features 15 watts, an 8" Special Design speaker, 16 amp types, 15 special effects presets, and 15 drum/bass/accompaniment loops, including metronome. A key selector knob allows 14 different keys; "Bass Off" may be selected to allow only the drum sounds to be activated, tempo knob allows settings from 30 to 240BPM, and separate controls for guitar volume and backing loop volume. A MIDI connector allows streaming files from a computer and future software upgrades. 1/8" aux in allows jam-along capability with external CD or MP3 player, and the headphone jack doubles as line output to recording gear for further amplification.

Archived