Gibson Brands Forums

I think my GAS just got corked

neptune2000

I've been wanting to get the G-400 '66 reissue that seems special to Music123, GC, and musiciansfriend. I just don't have the money yet, and probably won't for a month or month and a half. Music123 had it for $399 and GC for $299, and I was going to price match if I couldn't get it instore at GC (dunno why, I like music123 better I guess). Now, neither music123 nor GC has it, but musiciansfriend does for $399.

My dilemma/question: I have no experience with "limited edition" guitars. I don't know if I should wait for GC to get it back in, or if I need to buy it now before musiciansfriend is out of stock too if I really want that model. As I'm typing this I realize that I of course need to call all 3 places, but do any of you guys know how the LE production runs work? How long do they usually go? Are these '66s still in the early part of their run, or have they been around for a while?

I'd be okay with a small pickguard if I could afford a better guitar, like one of those ebay Japanese Epis, but that money could buy a G-400 and a better amp than the one I have now, with some left over to buy diapers for my soon-to-be-born son.

EDIT: Beep! music123 has them. Don't know how I missed it, but it's $399 anyway so my dilemma stands I guess.

Thanks!

Thanks. I won't panic yet :) I'll call GC and see if they expect them in stock. I think they are all sorta the same, but GC had them for $100 less (25%). I hope I didn't miss out on that.

The vintage G-400s are pretty much the same guitar other than the pickguard and the color, right? I still want the 66 for those 2 things (haven't seen the '66 in person, but the few here that have them say the color is the "good" red, not that cherry red that the others have).

Neptune,

I thought the vintage and faded were just that...flat finish...very attractive. The other SGs have the gloss finish.

Don't know if there is any difference in the pickups.

Keep an eye on Sweetwater if you think of buying online. They have a guitar gallery. It has execellant pics. If you see one you like you can call their 800# and request that particular guitar.

I think GC' date=' Musicians Friend and Music 123 are all the same company, not sure, but that's what I heard.[/quote']

Can't say for sure about Music 123, but CG and Musician's Friend are definitely owned by the same company...for now, anyway. When I bought my EJ-160E at my local GC, the salesman I worked with and I got into a conversation, during which he told me that MF would soon be sold off because there were so many complaints about it.

I think GC' date=' Musicians Friend and Music 123 are all the same company, not sure, but that's what I heard.[/quote']

Yes they are... I asked a customer service rep and he said (after an akward pause) "they are our sister company"

Archived