Gibson Brands Forums

Horrible E-bay experience. First time that this has happened.

rpach10115

Just to follow up: I PAID FOR THE INSURANCE! He just didn't insure it. Man' date=' you gotta be pretty desperate to want to pocket the extra $ 2.50 that it cost me for this insurance.

I have bought MANY items, including many EPI's on e-bay, with 100% satisfaction, until now. Over 300 flawless transactions without one problem.[/quote']

Check your inbox. I just you a private message.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much better stooge!

I think it was Iggy Pop and the Stooges. So I don't know if he was officially a stooge or not.

But I like your thinking anyway.

Iggy would be more like "Schemp". But I think the true reality is, Iggy is no more a Stooge than Gladys Knight is a Pip.

Man' date=' what did you expect?[/quote']

True Very true! :-

I wanted a guitar for a project and it was perfect. Suppose when i heard in playable condition just needs strings i thought all was ok!!

Bit of an impulse buy too!

Like it now tho. Sounds awsome through my epi amp. Doesnt seem able to achieve a warm tone at low volumes for blues type stuff (prob Ply wood!) but crank it and it gives a great 80's rock tone prob better than my epi. The epi gives a warmer crunch which is good for other music.The pic in my avatar is of my Kramer and Epi LP.

Thinking of respraying again as i wanted a 5150 EVH lookalike guitar origanally and i messed up the paint so just painted one colour in a huff!

Sorry about your fiasco with the Ebay seller, Rpac.

Ebay is not the only place you can get burned, though. Slightly off topic, but relevant, I heard a guy relate a story about ordering a special

order guitar from one of the big online retail sellers. Since it is second hand, I won't mention the name, but the seller got the shipping tags mixed up and instead of getting his $1600 special order guitar, he got a UPS box with a guitar case in it. When he called the customer service line, he was told that his guitar went to the guy who ordered the case. After a few days and a lot of debate with customer service, they told him that the guy who received his guitar wouldn't release it and send it back to them. Apparently he decided to keep it. They told him that they couldn't send the guitar until they received it from the guy who now had it. Since it wasn't a stock item, they couldn't send him another one while they resolved the gispute with the guy who had it. They issued a store credit for his $1600 and told him that all he could do is order $1600 worth pf merchandise...no refunds. After an extended time, he ordered a bunch of stuff he didn't need to get his money's worth and never got the special order guitar.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience on Ebay. Anytime a deal goes sour like that it sucks! Having been on the other end of UPS's handywork a couple of times....I can say it's a 2 way street and UPS doesn't like to pay out on damages. What really stinks is that even with insurance if you pack an item and they decide it was insufficiently packed you're screwed.....and it's not like a third party inspects the packages to make a reasonable judgement....UPS does...so guess which way the call goes 99.9% of the time. I got stuck with a broken neck (thanks to UPS) and I was out the $900 I refunded for the guitar! I'm an honest seller and those are the risks you take..but the paypal protection and UPS insurance is really a joke for anything worth more than a couple hundred bucks!

BTW all of the sellers who claim they are not liable for damages once their package is in the carrier's hands.....that's Bullshit if they packed it. The fight isn't worth it for many and they know that.

I guess that i'm in the minority here. I have never had a bad experience with ebay or UPS. I have kept my ebay purchases to a minimum as I have always been leary of buying a guitar i couldn't play first but i have gotten a few over the years and have never had a single issue.

A friend of mine just ordered an amp recently and never got it after about a month but the seller also didn't take the money, so, while he was dissappointed, he wasn't out any cash.

Really sorry bro that you have to experience this. The anonimity of the internet makes alot of people more confident and unfortunately morew difficult to deal with IMHO.

he the update: Paypal has decided the claim in my favor. I have to send it back to the seller for a full refund. Keep in mind that I have to pay to ship it back from NY to Calif.

BTW, UPS did not damage this guitar, the seller sold me a broken guitar. The guitar was packed in a hardshell case, with towels inside the cas. The box had no visible damage to it.

This was just a case of fraud by this seller. I wish I could blame UPS for this, but this time, it's not their fault.

All this seller wants to do is string me along until the claim expires.. I don't think so.

It is going back to him today.

Here's the breakdown: I bought a epi custom shop metaloic blue SG for $ 225.00 (great price), the shipping was $ 85.00 (Way too much), so I'm into this guitar for $ 315.00. He is getting $ 100.00 back from the UPS claim. I asked him for a rebate of $ 180.00 total for the repair. That means that he would only be out $ 80.00 out of his pocket. Now he owes paypal the full amount of $ 315.00, and he has a broken guitar that he will not get anywhere near what I paid for it. He kept lying to me saying I will send it blah blah blah. That was last week. Now I'm pissed because he knowingly sold me a broker guitar, lied to me on 2 occasions.

Here's the pathetic part: All it would have cost this seller was $ 80.00.

I cannot explain the intellegence of some people.

Bottom line: I'm getting back my money in full thanks to paypal's buyer protection policy, but it's going to cost me $ 40.00 to send it back. I guess this was a $ 4o.oo lesson to be learned.

he the update: Paypal has decided the claim in my favor. I have to send it back to the seller for a full refund. Keep in mind that I have to pay to ship it back from NY to Calif.

BTW' date=' UPS did not damage this guitar, the seller sold me a broken guitar. The guitar was packed in a hardshell case, with towels inside the cas. The box had no visible damage to it.

This was just a case of fraud by this seller. I wish I could blame UPS for this, but this time, it's not their fault.

All this seller wants to do is string me along until the claim expires.. I don't think so.

Here's the breakdown: I bought a epi custom shop metaloic blue SG for $ 225.00 (great price), the shipping was $ 85.00 (Way too much), so I'm into this guitar for $ 315.00. He is getting $ 100.00 back from the UPS claim. I asked him for a rebate of $ 180.00 total for the repair. That means that he would only be out $ 80.00 out of his pocket. Now he owes paypal the full amount of $ 315.00, and he has a broken guitar that he will not get anywhere near what I paid for it. He kept lying to me saying I will send it blah blah blah. That was last week. Now I'm pissed because he knowingly sold me a broker guitar, lied to me on 2 occasions.

Bottom line: I'm getting back my money in full thanks to paypal's buyer protection policy, but it's going to cost me $ 40.00 to send it back. I guess this was a $ 4o.oo lesson to be learned.[/quote']

Good you got lucky! I'm not defending that seller because he sounds like a scumbag,BUT UPS snapped the neck on my guitar in a hardshell case with tons of padding,de-tuned with no signs of damage to the box etc..etc... So it is possible that UPS broke the guitar. When you drop a box from 8' several times which they often due...anything can happen!

Glad it's worked out (mostly) for you. Make sure you have proof that you shipped back the guitar, in case he claims that you never did. I don't know much about shipping; maybe with UPS you don't need to worry. But you know, like how you send a certified letter. Hell I'd even take pictures of it going into the box but I'm probably paranoid (comes from getting screwed by a landlord).

I guess that i'm in the minority here. I have never had a bad experience with ebay or UPS. I have kept my ebay purchases to a minimum as I have always been leary of buying a guitar i couldn't play first but i have gotten a few over the years and have never had a single issue.

A friend of mine just ordered an amp recently and never got it after about a month but the seller also didn't take the money' date=' so, while he was dissappointed, he wasn't out any cash.

Really sorry bro that you have to experience this. The anonimity of the internet makes alot of people more confident and unfortunately morew difficult to deal with IMHO.[/quote']

No bad guitars here, but plenty bad cameras and lenses. It's pretty hard to hide a damaged guitar.

snip!...BUT UPS snapped the neck on my guitar in a hardshell case with tons of padding' date='de-tuned with no signs of damage to the box etc..etc... So it is possible that UPS broke the guitar. When you drop a box from 8' several times which they often due...anything can happen![/quote']

I've had 2 Epiphone guitars shipped by UPs and two by USPS/Canada Post. All were shipped in hardshell cases at

my insistence, and in one instance, I paid extra for the hardshell case.

These were done through PayPal and via my credit card, which is the only acct information, I'm willing to give them.

This way if there was any dispute such as I read in some of the posts above, I can also take it up with my credit card company and lock out Pay Pal from using my credit card number for any unauthorized charges through them.

IMO, If the guitar was detuned properly, all strings loosened considerably so there is no tension on the neck, and

packed with some styrofoam padding around the end of the headstock, so that the guitar can't move within the hardshell case, the only way it could be broken is from a "4-8 ft drop" is on it's headstock and even then, there would be signs of drop damage..either to the carton that the case/guitar came in, or to the headstock end of the case inside,

where the impact occurred.

"IMO, If the guitar was detuned properly, all strings loosened considerably so there is no tension on the neck, and

packed with some styrofoam padding around the end of the headstock, so that the guitar can't move within the hardshell case, the only way it could be broken is from a "4-8 ft drop" is on it's headstock and even then, there would be signs of drop damage..either to the carton that the case/guitar came in, or to the headstock end of the case inside,

where the impact occurred. "

Had it not happend to me carverman I would tend to agree with you.....BUT it did happen and the box was absolutely normal looking...I kid you not...believe me I wish I were kidding! I've packed and shipped alot of guitars and amps ...and truthfully in the scope of things(220ish transactions) we are talking about a 1-2% problem which isn't a bad statistic really. What I cant believe is some of those factory cardboard only shipping jobs! A bet their damage rate is somewhere between 10 and 20%+!

E-bayers please help. I just sold a guitar on e-bay for the first time. The auction ended last Friday evening. It is now Monday evening, and despite many attempts to contact this guy, I haven't heard anything from him. Am I panicking too early? How much time should I give him? He has a good record. There was only one bidder.

To make it worse, I had an offer from an old CL ad. I had to turn the guy down because the guitar was on e-bay.

E-bayers please help. I just sold a guitar on e-bay for the first time. The auction ended last Friday evening. It is now Monday evening' date=' and despite many attempts to contact this guy, I haven't heard anything from him. Am I panicking too early? How much time should I give him? He has a good record. There was only one bidder.

To make it worse, I had an offer from an old CL ad. I had to turn the guy down because the guitar was on e-bay.[/quote']

Too early to panic, especially over the weekend when he/she might not have been around. Although if I bought a new guitar, I'd be paying immediately to get it shipped asap!

E-bayers please help. I just sold a guitar on e-bay for the first time. The auction ended last Friday evening. It is now Monday evening' date=' and despite many attempts to contact this guy, I haven't heard anything from him. Am I panicking too early? How much time should I give him? He has a good record. There was only one bidder.

To make it worse, I had an offer from an old CL ad. I had to turn the guy down because the guitar was on e-bay.[/quote']

From eBay help: "Usually the seller must wait 7 days after a listing closes to file an Unpaid Item dispute"

Too early to panic' date=' especially over the weekend when he/she might not have been around. Although if I bought a new guitar, I'd be paying immediately to get it shipped asap![/quote']

When I bought my Elitist Broadway through an E-Bay vendor, I paid the "buy it

now price with a new case" because I didn't want to mess around with the bidding.

For about 3 days after, I sent the vendor emails and even phoned LD once to

find out when it was or would be shipped, he mentioned that they have up to

4 days to ship it from time of purchase. Well after the 4th or 5th email, he lit a fire

under "his shipper" and about a day later I got the tracking number. In all it took

about 6-7 days before it got shipped after I paid for it via Pay-Pal..and another 10 days

by the time it arrived via USPS/Canada Post..I was sitting on my thumbs all the time!!

From eBay help: "Usually the seller must wait 7 days after a listing closes to file an Unpaid Item dispute"

For reasons such as I mentioned. 4 days before the seller has to ship it + possible

other delays such as holidays etc.

BTW.. Ron, I like your beret and mustache. Looks very classy with that Epi.

Did you grow it yurself? or is it a glue on? ;)

BTW.. Ron' date=' I like your beret and mustache. Looks very classy with that Epi.

Did you grow it yurself? or is it a glue on? ;) [/quote']

I grew the beret myself

BTW: If you're making fun of The Skunk, you'll have me and Layboomo to answer to,

and possibly.......

achmed.png

rpach10115,

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience.

I had a very bad experience a few years ago buying an mp3 player on ebay from the U.K..

The seller claimed that he had mailed it, although his story smelled very fishy for various reasons. It never arrived, then the seller stopped answering my emails.

I was just about to post a negative comment, about this seller, because he had previously (i.e. before things began to go wrong) sent me an electronic invitation to rate my experience with him, but then - wham - he closed down the accessibility to post comments about him (not sure if this is still in people's power when selling on ebay, but it was at that point. The only disadvantage to him was that closing down the accessibility for me to post comments was a global thing - nobody could post comments. And nobody could view them. All people could see was a star rating).

Ebay was crap in terms of their response. They took no responsibility whatsoever for reimbursing me.

Paypal, however, were brilliant, and that's how I got almost all of my money back. I think that they threatened to withdraw Paypal for his future transactions or something.

Now, I never do anything on ebay without going through Paypal. No matter how good the deal looks. Even paid the rental deposit on an apartment through Paypal when going on vacation last year.

rpach10115' date=' I may be wrong about this, but I think if your credit card (hopefully not your debit card) was tied to the paypal account, then you should be able to also dispute this with your credit card company and get some satisfaction. It may be worth checking into.[/quote']

That's how I got reimbursed.

And I also had all of my emails that I had exchanged with the seller, and his replies, and evasive, non-replies. So, I sent those to Paypal, too.

rpach10115' date='

Ebay was crap in terms of their response. They took no responsibility whatsoever for reimbursing me.

Paypal, however, were brilliant, and that's how I got almost all of my money back.

Now, I never do anything on ebay without going through Paypal. No matter how good the deal looks. [/quote']

Ebay owns Pay Pal. It's the same company.

I grew the beret myself

BTW: If you're making fun of The Skunk' date=' you'll have me and Layboomo to answer to,

and possibly.......

[img']http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk54/ronnjee/Guitar/achmed.png[/img]

You got that right bud! How many guitar players do you know that you can say" well it's not rocket science" to and then...have to retract it because they are also involved in rocket science.......Skunk is!!!

BTW' date=' UPS did not damage this guitar, the seller sold me a broken guitar. The guitar was packed in a hardshell case, with towels inside the cas. The box had no visible damage to it.

Bottom line: I'm getting back my money in full thanks to paypal's buyer protection policy, but it's going to cost me $ 40.00 to send it back. I guess this was a $ 4o.oo lesson to be learned.[/quote']

Glad that Paypal did the right thing by you, as it did by me (see the other post). I was out almost exactly the same amount in my 'deal' (about $40.00) once I got my money back, but I was very glad to have only 'paid' $40.00 for this kind of education. As someone else here said, only ever link your credit card (not debit card) to your Paypal account, because there are certain protections built in to credit card transactions.

You got that right bud! How many guitar players do you know that you can say" well it's not rocket science" to and then...have to retract it because they are also involved in rocket science.......Skunk is!!!

Rocket science? Computer science? Political science? Voodoo...

Repeat 10 (I'm not afraid!) -> just_givver_char_string "Ron, bad things are gonna happen to you!"

Archived