Gibson Brands Forums

Carvin Tuners

rlajack1217

Is taht your burned strat in the avatar?

It what my strat looks like. It's called a Marble or Bowling ball strat. It was a proto type that Fender/CBS ran around 84. There were arounnd 150 of the red starts made and I have one that I bought new in 85. CBS soon after releasing this proto type sold Fender back to Fender managment and they drop the run. I need to get a picture of mine and post it.

So it that you eating that hamburger?? :D

I think Carvin tuners are Gotoh. I've owned a lot of Carvin gear over the years, and their quality is very good.

Among the gear I've owned a 1983 X amp, a 2000 LB20 bass, and several stereo power amps, both main and monitor speakers, and currently own a PA amp and a headphone amp. One stereo amp was in the rack from 1982 until 2003 and was in the shop exactly once, when a speaker wire came adrift.

Good stuff.

It what my strat looks like. It's called a Marble or Bowling ball strat. It was a proto type that Fender/CBS ran around 84. There were arounnd 150 of the red starts made and I have one that I bought new in 85. CBS soon after releasing this proto type sold Fender back to Fender managment and they drop the run. I need to get a picture of mine and post it.

So it that you eating that hamburger?? =D>

Nope. I look more liek kurt cobain or heath ledger than any other celebrities....

Except I'm not dead and rotting...

I noticed that Carvin sells a nice selection of reasonably priced hardware' date=' switches,

pickups, pots, accessories, etc.. Anybody familiar with their overall quality?[/quote']

I have a Carvin Bass and the quality and tone is excellent; comparable with any of the "Name" brands. As previously stated I think they are vastly under rated.

I noticed that Carvin sells a nice selection of reasonably priced hardware' date=' switches,

pickups, pots, accessories, etc.. Anybody familiar with their overall quality?[/quote']

Yeah, they're great...

carvin550_full.jpg

Not exactly cheap, but extremely reasonable for a handcrafted USA made instrument.

Yeah' date=' they're great...

[center']carvin550_full.jpg[/center]

Not exactly cheap, but extremely reasonable for a handcrafted USA made instrument.

Geez.....don't you guys read????? I was asking about hardware, etc., not their guitars. But

you did confirm what I was already thinking about the guitars. They are absolutely striking.

The semi's like Jerry's give me major gas.

OK, now what about pots, switches, etc.?

OK' date=' now what about pots, switches, etc.?[/quote']

Most of the hardware (bridges, tailpieces, tuners) looks like Gotoh. They also use Wilkinson, Floyd Rose, Sperzel, Hipshot & Graph tech, so they use quality manufacturers for their parts. Their pots are not knurled, so you need knobs with set screws. The pictures of the switches show box type rather than Switchcraft style, but they are good quality not the usual cheap ones you find on lower priced imports. Everything works great, smooth, quiet.

For the record, I can read. Just clearing that up.

Beyond pickups, Carvin doesn't make any of their own hardware that I'm aware of. I believe in their catalog they state the brand of any particular piece of hardware they offer. Observations by others here as to manufacturers is what I would say too.

As someone who generally praises Carvin products as a very viable alternative to the Big names in gear, I have to say that through the years I've considered their pots and switches to be a weak link. In the past 10 years I believe they've gotten better. In the 90's they were not good IMO.

IMO this is unfortunate since their wood and construction are top drawer. And to the point earlier that they aren't cheap, they are a SCREAMING deal compared to the USA counterparts at Gibson for similar products.

If I were looking to outfit my guitar with improved electronics, I probably wouldn't consider Carvin. But for other hardware: bridges, tuners, etc. they are an outstanding resource.

And for gear in general, I think people should check them out. Great value and quality over all. And ultimately, pickups and pots are easy to change out. Heck, even Gibson owners seem to change this stuff out frequently so holding that against Carvin seems to be a little picky, I'll admit.

Archived