Gibson Brands Forums

No tone pot made a difference...

Mr. E

i was playing around with my guitar and i noticed the tone pot had a weird noise and i changed it. the other tone pot didnt make the noise, but i didnt like it. i removed it and it sounds awesome. i'm thinking of keeping like that, but the only problem is that i cant remove the tone which is the main thing the tone pot is for.

i was playing around with my guitar and i noticed the tone pot had a weird noise and i changed it. the other tone pot didnt make the noise' date=' but i didnt like it. i removed it and it sounds awesome. i'm thinking of keeping like that, but the only problem is that i cant remove the tone which is the main thing the tone pot is for.[/quote']

Yeah, tone pots do open up a wide variety of options for your guitar. (on one of my guitars I can roll the tone pot and imitate a wah pedal.) A lot of electrics that were made in the 1980's didn't have tone pots at all (EVH craze)...but the criticism I've heard is that the overall sound is sort of "glassy" and it's not that warm...

(But, it does depend on the pickups. And, I suppose I could google some charts to show the effects of not having a tone pot affects the circuit, but at the end of the day it's all about what's pleasing to the ear....)

Yeah' date=' tone pots do open up a wide variety of options for your guitar. (on one of my guitars I can roll the tone pot and imitate a wah pedal.) A lot of electrics that were made in the 1980's didn't have tone pots at all (EVH craze)...but the criticism I've heard is that the overall sound is sort of "glassy" and it's not that warm...

(But, it does depend on the pickups. And, I suppose I could google some charts to show the effects of not having a tone pot affects the circuit, but at the end of the day it's all about what's pleasing to the ear....)[/quote']

i'm really like the way it sounds, but no tone pot means no tone tweaking... i know its sad. i do like the sound, but in other situations i will need a tone pot. right now i'm into it that i think i might add a kill switch, maybe, but i still dont know whether to leave it or take it off...

If you like it, leave it as it is. You can leave the tone pot where it is (just not wired up) so you don't have an empty hole.

I don't use my tone pots very much, maybe on 2 or 3 songs when I want that 'woman tone'.

I have a Squier '51 which doesn't have a tone pot. I don't miss it that much, but the bridge humbucker was a little shrill to my ears. I put a chrome cover over the pup to cut some of the highs, which worked well.

i was playing around with my guitar and i noticed the tone pot had a weird noise and i changed it. the other tone pot didnt make the noise' date=' but i didnt like it. i removed it and it sounds awesome. i'm thinking of keeping like that, but the only problem is that i cant remove the tone which is the main thing the tone pot is for.[/quote']

What... does... he... mean? (insert Wilhelm scream here) Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

The tone pot affects your sound even if it is set to zero. It is always in the circuit. Disconnecting it will make your sound much brighter. I tried this on my Tele and it became a killer.

You can have the best of both worlds by installing a pot with a push/pull switch. I may try this myself on my LP.

I use the tone pot a lot as I play in a jazz quintet. With the highs rolled off all of my Epis work just fine.

Archived