Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone sighting

I'm not sure if there are even any other punk rockers here but I went and saw Rancid tonight and Lars, their lead guitar player was playing a G-400 (completely modified, but still.)

It's always cool to see someone that could easily afford a multi-thousand dollar guitar playing a $300 Epiphone onstage with Gibsons on the rack as his spares!

and as a side note, he takes part of the M and the HALL off of his marshalls so they spell out his name. i thought that was genius.

Yes, Lars also has an Epi Les Paul. I saw a close-up pic of it once, and it was plastered with stickers. I remember it had a Danish flag on it.

Many folks, whether they admit it or not, think that the name on the headstock adds a certain coolness to a guitar. Normally this refers to expensive guitars, but I think it's much cooler to see someone doing great things with a cheap brand name on the headstock, or better, a no-name. I realize that is just as superficial as someone who wants to look at their axe and see 'Gibson', but hey... that is how I feel this fine morning.

I think Lars said something similar in an interview, indicating that he didn't care what the brand was, as long as it played well.

Another guy that sticks by his Epi (even has his own model, or used to) is that cat from Guitar Wolf.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Epiphone/PR/Guitar-Wolf-G-310.html

http://www.guitarwolf.net/

yeah, he played that one and a different epi LP for a while, but apparently he only plays sg's now due to back problems (since they're lighter).

saw them again tonight :D. i don't know if anyone here is from new england, but lupo's heartbreak hotel in Providence is one of my favorite clubs to see any band in.

Archived