Gibson Brands Forums

Heresy - removing the pickguard "e"

JefferySmith

Okay, I tried searching the forums for this topic but came up empty. At the risk of sounding like a schmuck, is there an easy way to remove the glued-on "e" from the Epiphone pickguard? It's not nearly as obnoxious as the branded "G" on the Chet Atkins Gretsch...

gretsch_jim_1152x864.jpg

but it does look a bit like something that a teenager might glue on his pickguard to make a statement (you know, like a peace sign back in the 1960's).

Also, where can one get aftermarket pickguards that will fit Epiphone? Guitar Fetish comes up short here. It might be easier and less dangerous to simply swap out the pickguard. I would just remove it, but my pinkie finger is used to sitting on it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got the PM from the previous owner' date=' I'll let him tell you:

Just fell off. They usually do... it's just a raised foil sticker.

I would have thumbnailed it anyway as I hate stickers.

I'll try the hairdryer anyway. I don't trust putting any kind of solvent on it for fear to digesting the pickguard.

I'll try the hairdryer anyway. I don't trust putting any kind of solvent on it for fear to digesting the pickguard.

A word of caution, be careful not to heat up the pick guard (I'm assuming it is 3 or 5 ply). If you concentrate the heat on the E I would think you will be ok.

A use to take the "W" off my Washburn acoustics however they were painted on. I would use finger nail polish remover to get rid of it. That left the pick guard dull, so I would get cigarette ash and a cotton cloth. Wrap one finger with the cloth and dab ash on the end and just rub the area that is dulled. The reason I bring this up is because of the glue residue you may have on the pick guard.

Egad. I may try to find aftermarket pickguards on the 'net just as a backup in case I screw the original up.

If the "e" were painted on, I think it would look better. But as a stick-on, it seems like something the user pasted on. I always cringe when I see someone with a nice guitar who has glued crap like small bumper stickers all over it.

Just peel the E off and use goo-gone to remove the residue, it's EASY and won't mar the guard at all. Naptha (lighter fluid) is also safe on 99.9% of plastics (I use to repair consumer electronics in the 80's).

Just peel the E off and use goo-gone to remove the residue' date=' it's EASY and won't mar the guard at all. Naptha (lighter fluid) is also safe on 99.9% of plastics (I use to repair consumer electronics in the 80's).[/quote']

Is there such a thing as lighter fluid in this millenium? I was thinking that baby oil might mix with the cement and get gummy rather than sticky. I'll look for lighter fluid, but I have to tell you that I haven't seen a Zippo in 2 decades.

195.jpg

Egad. I may try to find aftermarket pickguards on the 'net just as a backup in case I screw the original up.

If the "e" were painted on' date=' I think it would look better. But as a stick-on, it seems like something the user pasted on. I always cringe when I see someone with a nice guitar who has glued crap like small bumper stickers all over it.[/quote']

I don't like things glued or painted on the pick guard unless it's something like an outline of the pick guard. I think that's why I have a problem with some of the Gibson and Epi acoustics.

It's just personal preference.

Also' date=' where can one get aftermarket pickguards that will fit Epiphone?[/quote']

Heretic, indeed! Actually I have the alternative problem...I'm going to treat myself to a new (natural finish) Sheraton in the next few weeks. I actually don't like the reddish brown coloured pickguard that comes with the guitar - instead I want a white pearl coloured one.

So I'll be after a replacement from here: http://pickguards.us/priceothergibson.html The only problem then will be placing the Epiphone "E" on the new pickguard...I'll try transferring the one off the original 'guard, or may just have to buy a new one from Epiphone.

Heretic' date=' indeed! Actually I have the alternative problem...I'm going to treat myself to a new (natural finish) Sheraton in the next few weeks. I actually don't like the reddish brown coloured pickguard that comes with the guitar - instead I want a white pearl coloured one.

So I'll be after a replacement from here: http://pickguards.us/priceothergibson.html The only problem then will be placing the Epiphone "E" on the new pickguard...I'll try transferring the one off the original 'guard, or may just have to buy a new one from Epiphone.

[/quote']

I just gave one away a couple of weeks ago to one of the members here (the one that fell off mine).

I would think Epiphone would be nice enough to just mail you one. You could also check eBay, I recall seeing a bunch of them on there, probably because so many people remove them.

Alas, the http://pickguards.us/priceothergibson.html site has infinite choices but none for an Elitist Sheraton. They do mention the "Epiphone Professional USA" (which might be mine...sticker inside with serial number, assembled in USA), but they want 100 to 160 clams for it. They assume that people with GAS have deep pockets instead of empty pockets.

If you have my experience: wait long enough and they fall off on their own.

Some I have stuck back on, but my Supernova that came new in the box was off right away floating around in the wrap so I just put it in the case and never reattached it.

I'll give that a try. I'm concerned about the mini-NY Humbuckers on my Sheratons. The MIK Sheratons have regular humbuckers.

Don't be. Send him your original and he will custom make one that will fit. That is what he did for my Dot. It wasn't the cheapest, I think it was about $35, but I am totally happy with it.

Don't be. Send him your original and he will custom make one that will fit. That is what he did for my Dot. It wasn't the cheapest' date=' I think it was about $35, but I am totally happy with it.[/quote']

I think that a laminated black ES 335 pickguard would look best on it. Do I remove my existing pickguard and trace it on paper?

I've seen them in guitar history books' date=' but never knew someone who owned one. How does it play and sound?[/quote']

there's one in the post I made about GAS money. Contact the guy tell him you want to take it for a test drive. I never saw that guitar until it was posted here. Interesting looking. It either has a lot of tone options or it's actually the control panel for the space shuttle.

Archived