Gibson Brands Forums

Name 10 influential guitarists...

The_Sentry

Les Paul

Chet Atkins

Buddy Holly

Chuck Berry

B.B. King (Freddy and Albert' date=' too)

Duane Eddy

Carl Wilson

George Harrison

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

But, there are SO many others...

CB[/quote']

Whew! Another old fart in the group. Even my guys are younger than yours.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andres Segovia

Christopher Parkening

Paco De Lucia

David Gilmoure

Eric Clapton

Neil Schon (listen to the 3 albums BEFORE Steve Perry and his Santana work)

Gary Moore

Joe Pass

Chet Atkins

Roy Buchanan

I would have to include the following as guitarists who influenced my listening but, unfortunately, not my playing.

Andres Segovia

Chistopher Parkening

John Williams

Nacisco Yepes

Alirio Diaz

Charlie Byrd

Oscar Ghiglia

Nobody has said Robert Johnson. Strange.

Don't you all know the following songs?

Crossroads

Sweet home Chicago

Love in Vain

Traveling Riverside Blues

Kind hearted woman

Come on in my kitchen

Anyways. Besides RJ, I think mine would be:

1. SRV - Hard to believe you passed away 18 years ago this month. You inspired me to pick up the guitar and learn from others. You took the three kings, Jimi, and your brother Jimmy to new levels

I am not going to name anymore, as this month should be a national holiday for all out of respect.

#-o

I was going to stay out of this one as I not sure whether these guys influenced my electric playing or listening more but I would like to think my playing (wouldn't we all?)

Eric Clapton

Duane Allman

Dave Mason

Steve Gaines

Allen Collins

Buddy Guy

Lowell George

Paul Barrare

Johhny Winter

Steve Miller (early)

Most of my acoustic influences have come from Country and Bluegrass but a few others.....

Leo Kottke

John Fahey

Nick Drake

Chet Atkins

Andres Segovia

Jose Feliciano

As stated, in no particular order:

Carlos Santana

Terry Kath

Jimmy Page

Joe Walsh

Carl Wilson

Los Romeros (especially Celedonio and Pepe)

Jim Hall

Jeff Beck

Jimi Hendrix

Luiz Bonfa

Do I have to stop at 10?

Joe Pass

Bruce Foreman

Ron Eschete

Bucky Pizzarelli

Martin Barre

Brian May

Kenny Burrell

Lonnie Mack

Robert Johnson

Johnny Winter (especially when playing the National)

Chet Atkins

Les Paul

Eric Clapton

Randy Bachman

Django

Albert King

I'm sure I'll think of a dozen more as soon as I hit the "Send" button

Notes

All of the above are indeed worthy. But, unless i have missed, there is no mention of the late great Rory Gallagher. I was lucky enough to the the man four times in his heyday. I have never seen a better performer on stage.

To pick ten is a dificult task indeed, but Rory would always be up there for me.

PS. His rhythm section are still playing with 'Nine Below Zero' I believe

Maybe I won't fit in between others... but for me the most influential is Noel Gallagher. I luv rock'n'roll more than anything else and the way he feels music is just one top class. Myself i'm not something amazinglly fast, can't copy hendrix or other previously mentioned folks (and to be honest, don't even want to). Nick McCabe is more than worth to mention too by the way.

The question was about "current" influences. For that I would have to say mostly bluesrockers such as Billy Gibbons, Johnny Winter, Warren Haynes. In the past it was more Page, Angus, Rhoades, Nugent.

But my overall greatest influence was my younger brother (1 1/2 years).

He bought me my first guitar, a Washburn acoustic that I still have and love to play. He found it at a yard sale, with case and got it because he saw me always playing around on his guitars and thought I might like having one of my own. I was about 28 years old when he did this, and only concerned myself with playing drums for the most part. I never really even thought about taking up the guitar until the day my brother presented me with his gift.

If he hadn't bought it for me, I wouldn't be enjoying this passion that I love so dearly. I would never have become a songwriter. I also learned bits and pieces of stuff about the guitar from my brother when we were kids jamming together. He was always willing to teach me anything I wanted to know.

When it comes to the guitar, he will always be my main influence.

Absolutely! And while we're on Steely Dan connections' date='

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter[/quote']

Oh man you had to open the Dan Can O Worms LOL

Larry Carlton

Skunk

Elliot Randall

Denny Dias

Hugh McCracken

Rick Derringer

Drew Zingg

Jon Herington

Dean Parks

George Wadenious....**** that's 10 already...ok Lee Ritenour...and on and on

1a. Jimmi Hendrix- The man simply that: The Man. If you listen to his music from purple haze to the wind cries mary to voodoo child to ever popular national anthem you'll see riffs and solos that were so far past his time that we're all still just tryin to keep up.

1b. Jimmy Page - Possibly one of my favorite guitarists ever. Page is a living icon. As someone already said, he could play anything.

Had to put those two both at number 1 because I can't decide who was better

3. Billy Gibbons- Gotta throw him there because he's got just killer riffs and solos. First time I heard la grange I wan't to pick up an ax and join in.

4. Slash- I've been listening to his music since I was grammer school and his playing was the reason I bought my first squier and he book was the reason I really took it up and am now a guitar playing addict. He and izzy wrote some awesome riffs and he's just had some amazing stuff out in the past whether it was with GNR, Snake Pit, Micheal Jackson, Daughtry, or VR. He's my favorite guitarist.

5a. Zakk Wylde- I really didn't listen to him too much before I started playing but its been alittle while and I got to say is wow.

5b. Randy Rhodes- Crazy train, need I say more?

6. Joe Perry- Very Bluesy riffs and solos. Listen to toys in the attic, pump, and get a grip and you'll hear some great music, not to mention guitar parts.

7. Angus and Malcolm Young- Angus does give us killer leads and solos like in night prowler and thunderstruck but malcolm gives us those killer rhythem guitar parts like from back in black, hells bells, for those about to rock, and my personal favorite acdc song "if you want blood".

8a. John Fogerty- Saw someone else mentioned him and considering credence is one of my favorite bands it just seems wrong not to. Susie Q, Born on the Bayou, Fortunate Son, etc. Totally awesome songs with pretty cool guitar licks to em.

9. Eric Clapton- I love his acoustic stuff and some of his electric stuff is pretty cool. My parents used to listen to him alot , but I guess like em or hate em there is no denying that he is on of the greats

10. B.B. King- I don't really listen to him that much, alittle too old me, but the stuff that I have heard is awesome so I gotta give him some props

More Noteables out side of the top 10ish-Basically these are the guys that come to mind when I think of great guitarists but I just happen to like the previously mentioned players more or think they're just better than these guys.

Pete Townsend- If Eric and B.B. didn't command their spots on the list this guy would take one of them. Listen to the who and then go see them in concert and I guarantee you that you'll understand why he is one of the greats

Yngie Malmsteen- Now I don't like this ****** at all but he can play flatout. Thats why he's a noteable

Tom Morrello- He's awesome and does stuff that even hendrix would think is impressive. He probably should be on my list but hey everyone leaves someone out.

Hammet and hetfeild- Metallica (I know I didn't spell their names right but I'm giving em props)

Van Morrison

Jimmi Buffet

keith urban

Thats about it for names but if I find out the names of some of the other guitarists that I have in mind I'll list them with their bands

Jet

Pearl Jam

Steele Dan

Korn

Marylin Manson

Nine Inch Nails

The list goes on and on but one thing remains- Kurt Cobain is now where to be found.

Oh man you had to open the Dan Can O Worms LOL

Larry Carlton

Skunk

Elliot Randall

Denny Dias

Hugh McCracken

Rick Derringer

Drew Zingg

Jon Herington

Dean Parks

George Wadenious....**** that's 10 already...ok Lee Ritenour...and on and on

LB, I knew you'd chime in right after me. I agree with all of those except McCracken.

I never understood why he got so much session work. He seemed like a lightweight,

IMHO.

Oh, and one more (non-Dan) for the list - Brad Paisley, blows me away

LB' date=' I knew you'd chime in right after me. I agree with all of those except McCracken.

I never understood why he got so much session work. He seemed like a lightweight,

IMHO.

Oh, and one more (non-Dan) for the list - Brad Paisley, blows me away[/quote']Yup the boy's a Mofo! About McCracken...

Well maybey so...but he seemed to just come up with grooves that nobody else did....think Hey 19...not complicated but a cool groove none the less.!

I just checked and he also played on "Bad Sneakers"....thats pretty OK in my book! He has also played on alot of tracks that might surprise you ...stuff like Roberta Flack etc....the boy can hang trust me!

Don't you all know the following songs?

Crossroads

Sweet home Chicago

Love in Vain

Traveling Riverside Blues

Kind hearted woman

Come on in my kitchen

Anyways. Besides RJ' date=' I think mine would be:

1. SRV - Hard to believe you passed away 18 years ago this month. You inspired me to pick up the guitar and learn from others. You took the three kings, Jimi, and your brother Jimmy to new levels

I am not going to name anymore, as this month should be a national holiday for all out of respect.

default_eusa_wall.gif

Son House thought that Robert Johnson was such a bad guitarist, he tried to convince him to play only the harmonica. In the '60's, House said that people in the audience would tell Johnson to stop making "all that racket" with his guitar. I have to admit that I haven't found his playing offensive (in the small recorded legacy), but his voice is the central focus of his music, IMO.

Anyways. Besides RJ' date=' I think mine would be:

[-o<[/quote']

that pretty much sums it up for me too..

The ones that have influenced me the most over the years:

Nokie Edwards, Bob Bogle and Gerry McGee of the Ventures

Chuck Berry

Scottie Moore

Duane Eddy

James Burton

John Fogerty

Randy Bachman

Eric Clapton

Tom Johnston

Steve Cropper

Some of these guys are not the best or the showiest players around but they are all very tasteful and have shown me things that can be done in an intro or a 4, 8 or 16 bar break that literally makes the song.

Archived