Gibson Brands Forums

Best amp for playing the blues.

JefferySmith

Here again, one person’s BEST is another person’s BS.

Electric blues was born on low watt valve amps, so if you dig ‘classic’ blues tones nothing else will do. Think simple, think valve. Label me a heretic, but BB’s tone (or anyone else’s on SS amps) doesn’t captivate me – at least not all of the time – my ears tire of hearing the sharp or harsh edges produced.

If you seek Page - AC/DC type raucous blues tone, you’re going to need a stack of 4x12s and likely a Marshall valve head for the sheer power aspect. Obviously, it’s impossible to play blues on this at home b/c at low volumes it will sound like…, absolutely nothing you want to hear.

Club gigs – Peavey, Fender 20-50 watt valve amps reign supreme

Home/studio – Epiphone’s VJr. (& there are high hopes for Sr. w/reverb at $299 head) and Crate’s Blackheart and the lower watt Fender, Peavey, Vox.

In several ways Epiphone’s VJr. is a throwback – a reinvented dinosaur – to the golden days of electric blues. Budget players (blues is born in poverty) can relate to a $130 head. Add a $60-150 speaker(s) that will accentuate lows and mids (the heart that drives the blues) and you’re on the blues trail out-of-the-box. With a little technique, if you're not playing really good blues on a $130 VJr., then an $800 brand xxx won’t help.

And, just like back in the day, the VJr. output tube has to be overdriven to give the breakup needed for blues. Mine is always run HOT (1 o-clock to max). db level is tamed with guitar/pedal/POD used as master volume controllers.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to have an old ('58 or '59?) Fender Bassman. If you wanted to play blues that amp had just what you needed.

Oh man. From a handful of 'holy grail' blues tone amps the '59 Bassman truly had IT. Marshall's '65 JTM45 may have been the only one better IMO.

Lucky us -- a POD 2.0 models both of these as well as two other legendary blues amps: '60 Fender Champ and the '64 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Even at "REISSUE" prices that's $5' date='000 packed into a $300 unit. And if setup right through a VJr., Leo Fender and Jim Marshall themselves might have been fooled in a blindfolded 'taste-test'.

BEST blues amp? -- [b']maybe VJr. and a Pod 2.0[/b]. Arguably the best bang-for-the-buck.

Oh man. From a handful of 'holy grail' blues tone amps the '59 Bassman truly had IT. Marshall's '65 JTM45 may have been the only one better IMO.

Lucky us -- a POD 2.0 models both of these as well as two other legendary blues amps: '60 Fender Champ and the '64 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Even at "REISSUE" prices that's $5' date='000 packed into a $300 unit. And if setup right through a VJr., Leo Fender and Jim Marshall themselves might have been fooled in a blindfolded 'taste-test'.

BEST blues amp? -- [b']maybe VJr. and a Pod 2.0[/b]. Arguably the best bang-for-the-buck.

Yeah, I got a POD 2.0 for $100 bucks at a pawn shop a few months ago. Once you read the manual, and figure out how to do all of the tweaking, you can get just about any sound out of it. It was well worth the 100 bucks I spent.

Guest alanhindle

I've just bought a Peavey Royal 8 Valve King which has separate controls for gain, tone and master with the added benefit of high and low gain input sockets. I've managed to get a variety of great warm bluesy or jazzy tones with my Epi Les Paul Standard plus. The stock pick ups don't like too much gain though (say past 1 O'Clock) after which they begin to get muddy (especially the neck pick up), so the combination works less well for metal type sounds beyond AC/DC's tone. However, for the first time, I've started to get in to using the neck pick up. I love the tones I'm getting. Incidentally, my Gibson SG faded handles higher gain settings much much better with its hotter pick ups.

Check this link for a demo by Peavey showing its versatility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEu0NzSZ7RE

And another blues style demo with a strat:

PS. Even though it's only 5W it can still get very loud when cranked.

Cheers

Alan

..."Marshall themselves might have been fooled in a blindfolded 'taste-test'."

I appreciate your enthusiasm...but NFW....a pod just doesn't "bloom" the way a vintage tube amp does...it just can't...to the novice ear it sounds close....close. I'm really not trying to pick a fight but I just can't agree with that one. I do think the modelers are good ,fast close enough kinda plug ins for some...but thats where it ends. There is a tube warmth that's just not there....actually SE amps like the valve jr don't have the complex overtones and harmonics either to be perfectly honest...you need a PP tube amp for that.

now for me, I think most of tone is in the hand, you take a good player ( stieve, jimmi,eric) give him crap on a stick,and in jimmi hendrix's case some of the time that's not far off , they will sound like them, but for my money, if I had any, an old black or silver face, I had a 72ish silver face proverb cool blues amp, I have a blues deluxe now and it is a very good lite--vs a twin-- amp and for me I like the overdrive. I've played strats all my life and that is just a cool combo, however my new dot studio just screems through it, love to have my proverb back the dot would be like"yea that's the way I like it, baby, just like that!"

I was thinking of checking one myself.....like I need another amp. Although at that price hard to pass on.

Heard, or read, MF is having a close out, or blow out, sale on quite a few Crate amps...or Crate gear. I'm not a big Crate fan, but I did end up with a couple of good deals on some Crate stuff last year when they had a similar sale.

Depends where you plan to use it but for my 2p's worth, for jamming and small/medium gigs, the Epi BC 30 takes some beating both on sound and bangs for bucks basis. Looks good and sounds fantastic (sounds even better of you swap out the Sovtek 6L6's for some decent power tubes - mines got a pair of early manufacture RCA Blackplates :(/ )

My only complaint is that they don't do a 50w version with a 50w head/Cab option too

I was thinking of checking one myself.....like I need another amp. Although at that price hard to pass on.

Heard' date=' or read, MF is having a close out, or blow out, sale on quite a few Crate amps...or Crate gear. I'm not a big Crate fan, but I did end up with a couple of good deals on some Crate stuff last year when they had a similar sale.[/quote']

MF is sold out and has a 32 day wait (don't hold your breath). GC has the same price and showed they had stock. I didn't bother since I have an acoustic arriving tomorrow and a wife that is starting to grow impatient with my antics.

MF is sold out and has a 32 day wait (don't hold your breath). GC has the same price and showed they had stock. I didn't bother since I have an acoustic arriving tomorrow and a wife that is starting to grow impatient with my antics.

Thanks for the heads up.

BTW...you're a lucky man if your wife is STARTING to grow impatient with your antics.......after almost 30 years mine has heard all of my scams a few times, I need to recruite the help of my grandkids now a days.

The fender princeton reissue is a 15 watt/10" speaker amp for $800(new) ????

I own a blues junior which is also a 15 watt tube amp with a 12" speaker... I paid $400 for mine new (music123 blem).... But they usually go for about $500 new...

I can't imagine the 10 inch speaker princeton is that much better than the 12 inch speaker blues junior

My blues junior is a very nice (and loud) amp...

I own a blues junior which is also a 15 watt tube amp with a 12" speaker... I paid $400 for mine new (music123 blem).... But they usually go for about $500 new...

I can't imagine the 10 inch speaker princeton is that much better than the 12 inch speaker blues junior

Haven't seen one yet to demo, but have read allot of raving on it. You have to keep in mind that you're most likely also being charged for the name, being a RI of a collector, made in USA and a few more things that really don't have anything to do with how it performs....of course just my opinion

I do however have '65 non reverb princeton that to ME sound way better than the BJ. Not that the BJ is bad sounding, just different strokes for different folks. To me the BJ is just way to boxy sounding out of the box. At any rate different amps really.

The question for me would be is the Princeton RI worth 100 dollars less than the Deluxe.

Haven't seen one yet to demo' date=' but have read allot of raving on it. You have to keep in mind that you're most likely also being charged for the name, being a RI of a collector, made in USA and a few more things that really don't have anything to do with how it performs....of course just my opinion

I do however have '65 non reverb princeton that to ME sound way better than the BJ. Not that the BJ is bad sounding, just different strokes for different folks. To me the BJ is just way to boxy sounding out of the box. At any rate different amps really.

The question for me would be is the Princeton RI worth 100 dollars less than the Deluxe.[/quote']

I agree the BJ is slightly boxy.... But I only use it as a home amp... I perform with my 40 watt Blues Deluxe.... But still the blues deluxe is a great sounding amp and powerful too... And it generates a lot less heat than the twin reverb I used to own... Living in Phoenix, that really does mean something...

I could switch to a deluxe reverb and sell my blues deluxe... But the difference really is not that much... But I do agree the deluxe reverb is better sounding...

You could be right, but one of the problems with GAS is that I can get really stupid about something and just really want it. The good thing is that once I try it, I loose interest. This is starting to sound like chasing girls when I was in high school.

You could be right' date=' but one of the problems with GAS is that I can get really stupid about something and just really want it. The good thing is that once I try it, I loose interest. This is starting to sound like chasing girls when I was in high school.[/quote']

Oh, no! There was a reason you chased girls in high school. When you run into GAS at the Master's level, there's nothing you can do but hand over your wallet and hope you have enough. Come to think of it, there IS a lot in common between the two processes, isn't there?

I'm using a Blues jr. to gig. Mic it and there is nothing better. A few pedals and that's it. You don't have to touch it for the whole gig.

It's loud enough for quite large venues. Of course, i did'nt try all the amps mentionned in this thread...it might be very good ones, but I'm totally satisfied with Junior.

Fender Deluxe Reverb is my choice. 22 watts' date=' single 12". Perfect for sweaty, late night club gigs.

Sounds heavenly with the Epi LP Custom (ain't too bad with a strat either!!)

Had it for 15 years; reissue.

Sound = pickups > wood > tube > air = BEAUTIFUL

[img']http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk149/jgmedanth/0217400000.jpg[/img]

I agree bro, the Deluxe is hard to beat ! There are alot of imitators in design, wiring, etc. but IMHO, the Deluxe is still the way to go. As i said earlier in this thread, I play both my Sheraton and Strats through it and over all the years many other guitar/amp combinations and nothing really comes that close for me.

I've had just about every Fender tube model through the years from the 60's till now, I had never had a hot rod deluxe until about a year ago and got rid of it pretty quickly, really didn't like it, and as much as I like vibroverbs and blackface twins, I still go to Deluxe for that sweet blues tone !

..."Marshall themselves might have been fooled in a blindfolded 'taste-test'."

I appreciate your enthusiasm...but NFW....a pod just doesn't "bloom" the way a vintage tube amp does...it just can't...to the novice ear it sounds close....close. ...actually SE amps like the valve jr don't have the complex overtones and harmonics either to be perfectly honest...you need a PP tube amp for that.

Fair enough observation layboomo. Sorry all. I did not intend to mislead anyone with my 'taste-test' reference. It was merely my tongue-in-cheek shorthand way of saying: IT'S REAL GOOD...' date=' TRY IT OUT if you're searching.

Here's the deal: If I had a spare $3,000 for a vintage Bassman or Deluxe Reverb (or other fav) I would own one/all...

[i']...and I would still own and play through a VJr. when the mood/situation called for it![/i]

Archived