Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio Pickups

shartom

I've been playing a Gibby LP Studio for the last month. Haven't played the Epi. version.

I've notcied that the first and second strings tend to be too bright almost piercing. I have to roll off the highs to get around it which results in a muddy bass.

I'm sure it is the pickups. Has anyone else had this problem. I did a big band concert yesterday and took the Studio to do chord riffs. My wife and musicial critic said the upper strings sounded metalic.

I'm playing through a Blues Junior that can get pretty bright. I generally have the treble and presence backed off to 1/2 or less.

Fender amps are really bright IMO. That may be the cause of the problem, but if you don't want to spend new money on a amp ( or pickups), you can lower the pole pieces under the E and B string. It's the screw on the pickup under the string. This will lower the output of the strings, making the sound less bright. Once you lowered them to your liking, you can put the tone control back to wear you like it.

I've got the same guitar as you, and I back off the tone to 7 on the bridge, just because I think my guitar and the rig it's with sounds best there. It doesn't make it muddy though, just rolls of the highs a bit.

I'll give that a try. When I first got it, it was strung with 10-46 strings. The first string was brighter than my Tele.

I upped the guage to 11-46 and that eased it somewhat.

My Epi fleet is sitting down in my music room and you can hear them saying "Ya should have bought another one of us". They all sound great.

I'll let you know how I make out.

I did both. I lowered the treble side of both pickups anlowered the screws beneath the first and second strings. Without touching the tone controls, I could hear the difference. Rolling back the tone controls also softened it up.

I think in time I may swap out the pickups. I have an old Dimarzio Super Distortion II, (that never distorted) that I may drop into the neck position to compare the sounds.

Archived