Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
custer

Dot Pickups

Gibson '57 Classic, Mean P90 (but I think I might get another Classic soon).

New pickups are a massive improvement, as stated above.

I put GFS 59s in mine, and there was a huge difference. I also put them in my Sheraton and one of my G-400s.

I was gonna do the Gibson '57 Classics in my Dot but thought I'd try the GFS out, and glad I did. I'm sure the Gibsons have a little more bottom end than the GFS, but I got both of mine for about $80, less than the price of one '57 Classic. (I noticed that the '57s have gone up recently.) If I played professionally I might think about the '57 Classics, but that ain't gonna happen. I am very happy with them.

I had a set of humbuckers from a 1978 Gibson SG in there for a while; then I snagged a 490R/498T pair for practically peanuts and put them in. These were pretty good actually. Then I sold the thing.

dot490498.jpg

Any of the P-94, Phatcats, or P-90 in a humbucker case will be a direct swap with fantastic results. Cleans up the neck, gives you some real treble and has a better mid-bass without that ugly bass bloat that many humbuckers seem to have.

I have a set of gibson burstbuckers (1 & 2) in my sheraton and they are amazing!! this guitar is a tone KING!! I bought the guitar with them in so I do not know how they compare to stock. I do also play a gibson SG standard 490/498's in that and the tone of the sheraton is so much smoother and full.

Also' date=' what are the stock pickups? A review says Gibson Classic 57s?!

http://epiphone.com/reviews.asp?ProductID=4[/quote']

'the pickups definitely lack the detail, dimension, and vibe of early Gibson humbuckers'

That's because they're not. They are somewhat modeled after the Classic 57 albeit with economy parts. They may have the Alnico magnet and the resistance value may be in the 57 ballpark, it's not a Classic 57.

Has anyone put a '57 Classic at the neck and a '57 Classic Plus at the bridge as Gibson's website suggests?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/_57%20Classic%20Humbuckers/

- Shaun

That's what I am kicking around. I'm not sure if you saw my post from a few days ago, but the guys give some other suggestions too.

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5971

This was covered in another Dot thread somewhere, but I'm lousy at searches. I just put Seymour Duncan PhatCats in my Dot (and changed everything else electonic as well) and couldn't be happier. This thing just rocks.

I bought a pair of Mean 90's and Vintage 59's to try out in my Dot Studio.

Put the Mean 90's in first and they're still in there - 59's never even made it out of the box!