Gibson Brands Forums

Isaac Hayes - RIP

JefferySmith

Having grown up in the seventies, I will always remember the man.

"Theme from Shaft," is what comes to my memory of him. It was a huge hit and was on the radio all the time. It was almost an anthem of that era. I'm not black, but I sure wanted to be Shaft. I think EVERY boy (and man) did. And the music was one of the big reasons the movie was so cool.

In the 70's' date=' the voices of Isaak Hayes, together Barry White and Teddy Pendergrass, were probably responsible for more skinny little white dudes getting laid than any other phenomenon I can remember. [/quote']

Amen to that!

I have a theory that nobody buys a treadmill unless they have to (they aren't much fun). So my guess is that his cardiologist told him to use one. High blood pressure is the scourge of the African American community, and high BP leads to a lot of serious events. I'm guessing stroke or heart attack.

I have a theory that nobody buys a treadmill unless they have to (they aren't much fun). <...>. I'm guessing stroke or heart attack.

I may be the exception to your rule.

Both my parents died from being too fat. My father with a diabetes induced heart attack, and my mother from a stroke.

Seeing this as a possible future, I bought a NordicTrak Manual Treadmill and went on a Ketogenic diet. The proverbial ounce of prevention.

I lost 50 pounds at the turn of the century, and it hasn't come back.

I would also guess heart attack or stroke, but the silence about it leaves me wondering.

It's always sad when one of our community dies, but then, nobody gets out of here alive.

RIP Mr. Hayes.

Notes

An interesting fact about Isaac: He always played 'tough guys' when he was an actor (anybody remember 'Gandy' from the Rockford Files?) yet, in 'real life' he was a little guy (I once stood next to him on an elevator). I'm guessing he wasn't much over 5'7". So I'm sure the directors either had him standing a)on a box or b)next to other short actors in his movie/tv roles.

Archived