Gibson Brands Forums

dot studio

hippiedave

Luan(indonesian maple) body' date=' of 5 laminated layers, with a solid maple center block.[/quote']

Actually lauan is indonesian mahohany; and the center block will be made of the same stuff. The outer plies are probably African i.e. genuine mahogany over the lauan core wood. Only the Elitists have a maple center block. The Regular Dot is maple ply (maple/lauan/lauan/lauan/maple) which is probably what's causing all the confusion.

I've thought some of those worn finishes looked like some kind of manufactured veneer - like that plasticized stuff from sawdust, I think, and dyed in sheets. I think it can be worked like wood, or molded like plastic. If the sawdust were a mixture of all the wood used in the shop, you could pretty much call it either a mahogany or a maple cap and be correct. Anyway, I swear the grain pattern of at least two of them I've seen are identical.

I've thought some of those worn finishes looked like some kind of manufactured veneer - like that plasticized stuff from sawdust' date=' I think, and dyed in sheets. I think it can be worked like wood, or molded like plastic. If the sawdust were a mixture of all the wood used in the shop, you could pretty much call it either a mahogany or a maple cap and be correct. Anyway, I swear the grain pattern of at least two of them I've seen are identical.

[/quote']

The last time someone suggested that Epiphone used "manufactured" woods, we were told in no uncertain terms that the wood was really, really wood. I think that was for the Prophecy line. The Dot Studios look like dark-stained mahogany to me.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONCE i've look up the # and this one is made in china "ee"

there seems to be alot of contrvercy on what wood is used the low end stuff I can understand " what the hell is this " wood, but the more you spend the more epi ( or any maker ) should be up front about what you are getting!

EPIPHONE THIS MEANS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived