Gibson Brands Forums

Neck position pickup for bridge and some other questions...

Mr. E

i been thinking of getting a pickup for my epi special 2 project and i thought of the fat paf from guitarfetish, but i really dont want something like 14k. i've been thinking of getting the neck pickup and use it as the bridge and later switch it to the bridge when i buy another one or buy a vintage 59 neck and use it with the fat paf neck(at the bridge). i'm pretty sure i could do this about 98%, but that's not that 100% so help me out.

another thing, i've heard steve morse uses a higher output pickup at the neck rather than the bridge. i really dont know so take it easy on me. well anyway, i've been thinking of doing that cause i like the way the neck pickup sounds, but it just needs a little more punch and the bridge pickup sounds alright, but its to treblely on the bridge position. i'm thinking of switching them, has anybody done that?

thnx.

Polepiece spacing on neck and bridge pu's is different.

The bridge pu is the wide....

Someone beat me to this.........

Lower the bridge pu for a warmer sound and less output.

Heighten the neck pu for more punch and output.

If you find the bridge pu too trebly use your tone pot, that's why the're on the geetar.

Peter

The spacing should not really be a big issue. Excellent idea.

Even Gibson makes only one type of PAF pickups ('57s, Burstbuckers), that all come with identical pole spacing.

Humbuckers are not hifi anyway, just old technology from the fifties :-

i been thinking of getting a pickup for my epi special 2 project and i thought of the fat paf from guitarfetish' date=' but i really dont want something like 14k. i've been thinking of getting the neck pickup and use it as the bridge and later switch it to the bridge when i buy another one or buy a vintage 59 neck and use it with the fat paf neck(at the bridge). i'm pretty sure i could do this about 98%, but that's not that 100% so help me out.

[/quote']

I'm using a fat pat/paf at the bridge on one of my custom made LP types....the 3 inch semi-acoustic.

The bridge position measures 13.51K. If you split the coils, thats approx 6.75K ohms per coil, since these

come 4 wire. The neck one will be a lot less (somewhere around 9K) , as the bridge position is

overwound. It has a nice fat sound, but I'm still using a Vintage 59 in the neck on mine,

although with GFS, you can use a neck on the bridge if that's what you want.

The spacing of the pole pieces is different for the two positions.

Not by much on GFS, Ron. I measure 2.0 on the neck (Vintage 59) high e to low e

pole pieces on center of the adjuster screw. The ( fat paf) bridge measures 2 1/8

center to center on the outside adjustment screws. Not a significant lot of difference,

unless you are definitely interested in the estetics of the look.

On my Epi Elistist Broadway, both the neck (50SR) and the bridge (50ST) are exactly

the same adjuster screw spacing 2.0 inches and exactly the same dc resistance 8.39k,

so go figure, why they would give these "USA humbuckers" a separate code?

I'm using a fat pat/paf at the bridge on one of my custom made LP types....the 3 inch semi-acoustic.

The bridge position measures 13.51K. If you split the coils' date=' thats approx 6.75K ohms per coil, since these

come 4 wire. The neck one will be a lot less (somewhere around 9K) , as the bridge position is

overwound. It has a nice fat sound, but I'm still using a Vintage 59 in the neck on mine,

although with GFS, you can use a neck on the bridge if that's what you want.

[/quote']

is the fat paf good for cleans? if yes, maybe i'll keep the bridge instead of the neck.

is the fat paf good for cleans? if yes' date=' maybe i'll keep the bridge instead of the neck.[/quote']

Ok here's what I'm doing. On my custom made LP semi-acoustic with Dean Markley mid guage

set ; I'm playing through a Peavey Valveking 112, Amp vol/ tone controls set to mid point (no reverb)and

Class AB or A Texture control set fully to (Class A =25watts) The Footswitch on Lead Clean.

The volume/tone controls open on the guitar. The Vintage 59 neck is a smoother bassier sound than the

Fat Paf (bridge) which has a clean full sound on the pick sweeps for barre chords and is great for

rythmn chops as well as solos. Each string rings clearly and individually.

For my particular guitar, the vintage 59 neck and the Fat paf bridge is the ideal combination individually.

Combined, (3 way in mid position) the fat paf breaks through with it's fat mid range and you have

the good combined tone response of both at your disposal.

These are vintage Alnico V ( 5) p_ups, not ceramic, so don't expect overdrive distortion with these. If that's

the sound you are looking for then you need an amp with a overdrive channel/boost whatever to

get you that sound.

Archived