Gibson Brands Forums

Is this guitar ugly?

JefferySmith

I've always though D'Angelico's where some classy looking guitas, including the headstock. Maybe no accounting for taste on my part, but I like it allot.....I know my wallet probalby wouldn't though.

Anyhow I'm with you and Just Strum on this.

We tend to get used to certain standards and unfortunately the immediate reaction to this guitar is to compare it to the Gibson Les Paul. While it is true that the Les Paul has managed to capture arguably one of the most esthetically pleasing body contours of all time, the d'Angelico is also very striking and obviously made from top quality materials and a masterpiece of the luthier's art. It's a very stylish and attractive guitar in its own right. While I also tend to be more attracted to simple design elements and would judge various elements of the d'Angelico as 'over the top', as for example the complex pickguard design, I can see that everything on the d'Angelico fits within the whole while reflecting its respectable pedigree.

I've seen Peerless, Korea use that headstock on several guitars, and while I like the cut, it always seemed to me it pulled the headstock out to long, like somebody put a 12 string headstock on a 6 string neck. Out of proportion -- sorry to say, a lot of Epi headstocks leave me the same though it never stopped me from buying one. I've always been a fan of venetian cutaways, but gotta agree with Spud. That pickguard belongs with winged radiators and stuff like that. They could certainly do better even if they wanted a standout design.

To me, the guitar has a familiar shape, like a Byrdland or a Gretsch Tennessean, only smaller and a solid body. D'Angelico does go over the top a bit with the pickguards and the headstock. But the guitar and neck look good to me. I'd probably just remove the pickguard.

I think the thing with the pickguard is that it is a traditional d'Angelico shape, just like the finial in the headstock. The market for which that guitar was made would most likely reject it if it didn't come with these traditional d'Angelico appointments; it's similar to the way we attach ourselves to the traditional Gibson 'moustache' headstock design.

We tend to get used to certain standards and unfortunately the immediate reaction to this guitar is to compare it to the Gibson Les Paul. While it is true that the Les Paul has managed to capture arguably one of the most esthetically pleasing body contours of all time' date=' the d'Angelico is also very striking and obviously made from top quality materials and a masterpiece of the luthier's art. It's a very stylish and attractive guitar in its own right. While I also tend to be more attracted to simple design elements and would judge various elements of the d'Angelico as 'over the top', as for example the complex pickguard design, I can see that everything on the d'Angelico fits within the whole while reflecting its respectable pedigree.[/quote']

Couldn't have said it better. =D>

That guitar is a textbook example of art-deco design popularized in the 1930's ( think of the Chrysler bldg. in NYC ). D'Angelico has been producing high-end jazz boxes for many years and for good reason, their craftsmanship is impeccable. Yes, it may seem a little garish but I think we should be open-minded enough to appreciate the work that went into it. just my 2cents.

That guitar is a textbook example of art-deco design popularized in the 1930's ( think of the Chrysler bldg. in NYC ). D'Angelico has been producing high-end jazz boxes for many years and for good reason' date=' their craftsmanship is impeccable. Yes, it may seem a little garish but I think we should be open-minded enough to appreciate the work that went into it. just my 2cents.[/quote']

Good point. I like the art-deco look. We have an old stretch of highway down here (Airline Highway) that was the only highway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Much of the architecture of drive-in restaurants and hotels was vintage art-deco. Alas, much of it is gone now, but the remnants still bring nice memories. D'Angelico does like the 1930's Empire State building look. Not surprisingly, the model of that guitar is one of the "New Yorkers".

Archived