Gibson Brands Forums

Is this guitar ugly?

JefferySmith

I started reading comments about this D'Angelico solid-body singlecut. Many of the responders seemed to think it was butt-ugly.

NY-SD.jpg

The head is' date=' as usual, a bit garish, but I didn't think the Venetian cutaway was hideous. What say you?[/quote']

Other than the pickguard, I think it's a pretty nice looking guitar.

The guitar is far from ugly.

So far from ugly that it's absolutely beautiful.

As correctly pointed out it is Art Decco and although popular a long time ago Art Decco never went out of style and has enjoyed many revival movements over the decades. In a guitar it implies sophistication and style and to the modern guitar eye that throwback cosmopolitan uptown look may seem gaudy or archaic and that's understandable but personally I really like that look.

Apart from the gold hardware' date=' it's not a bad looking guitar. [/quote']

Yeah....I gotta agree. Chrome hardware would look awesome, especially in light of the fret markers....(I'm still not liking that pickguard much. Oh well, can't please everyone...)

That guitar is a textbook example of art-deco design popularized in the 1930's ( think of the Chrysler bldg. in NYC ). D'Angelico has been producing high-end jazz boxes for many years and for good reason' date=' their craftsmanship is impeccable. Yes, it may seem a little garish but I think we should be open-minded enough to appreciate the work that went into it. just my 2cents.[/quote']

Well said. Art Deco design is not to everyone's taste. The headstock takes a bit of

getting used to with the "chipendale-ish" notch and brass peg, but it is distinct

nonetheless. As far as the position markers on the solid body pictured in the above

post(s), Gibson uses the same on some of their models and I happen to like that

diagnally split design. It is very distinct, similar to Gibsons "flame cup" on the L5

or the traditional "thistle' design used on many of their models...and let's not

forget the traditional"morning glory vine" used on the the headstock of pretty much

most of the high end EPIs like the Emperor II/Sheraton/Broadway..etc..some

people might think they are a bit too garish, but most of us Epi lovers wouldn't have

it any other way.

I've never had the opportunity to play a D'Angelico jazz box or LP equivalent, but

I would say they are comparable to Gibson/Epiphone in many respects.

I definitely prefer the stair step brass tailpiece of their jazz boxes (New Yorker)

over the Epi frequensator. Not only does it provide the tp mass that is needed for good tone,

but the compensation for intonation of each individual string is accomplished

in that unique design, and it looks "balanced" mounted on the guitar.

I was actually ready to order one (at $200 for my Broadway) except for the

D'Angelico script engraved on it..which would seem out of place on a Elitist.

So I ended up making my own art deco tp thanks to some dimensions from

Parbar's L5 tp.

Archived