Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else have this happen to 'em?

metalhed717

I've seen hundreds of concerts and never have I seen a guitar player get through an entire show without making at least a couple of mistakes. The best I've ever seen with respect to making the 'fewest' mistakes is Joe Satriani, but even he hits a couple of clunkers before the night is over.

So what? It's gone in a second & you just move on. No big deal.

I've seen hundreds of concerts and never have I seen a guitar player get through an entire show without making at least a couple of mistakes. The best I've ever seen with respect to making the 'fewest' mistakes is Joe Satriani' date=' but even he hits a couple of clunkers before the night is over.

So what? It's gone in a second & you just move on. No big deal.[/quote']

True but I think the point was it's not that simple for a lot of people to just move on. There's an instinct to correct yourself. You can also "lose your place" in the song. This is especially true when you're playing by yourself, as you're the only one keeping the song moving. It's a skill to be able to play through it, though probably an easy skill for some.

I've seen hundreds of concerts and never have I seen a guitar player get through an entire show without making at least a couple of mistakes. The best I've ever seen with respect to making the 'fewest' mistakes is Joe Satriani' date=' but even he hits a couple of clunkers before the night is over.

So what? It's gone in a second & you just move on. No big deal.[/quote']

Yep, I totally agree again. It is hard to get past the 'no... wait' response to making mistakes, but it has to be done, and sure enough "it's gone in a second and you just move on."

Notice how TV advertisers might pick a popular song to go with their ad, but of course they can't fit a whole song into a 30-second TV commercial, so they chop and splice bits of the song? It's grating on the ear, but just for a second usually, and then the next part of the song becomes the focus of your attention. If someone in an audience catches a flubbed note, they're sure to forget it almost immediately, if the rest of the song rides on and carries them with it.

+10. It's pretty hard to do this when you just play by yourself. Have you ever seen someone (or been the guy) playing casually and every time he makes a mistake he says "No' date=' wait" and starts over or back at the beginning of the section? I found it pretty hard to get past that (I still do it sometimes). I also play by myself 99% of the time. I find it useful to play along with the song or chord progression, standing far away from the pause button. I'm to the point where now when I make a mistake I'll just swear and slam the current chord, then keep going. =P~ [/quote']

I generally make a mistake, or three, or more ever time I play. People that know music will pick it up. Others won't even notice, unless it's really obvious.

One of my bass playing buddies says, "If you make a mistake, do it again and call it a jazz lick if anybody asks." After all, you meant to do it that way, didn't you? It's called reaching out into new terrritory. That's why I love listening to live CDs. If you listen closely, you can pick out many flubbed licks.

Archived