Gibson Brands Forums

New gauge strings

adamsville2k

I currently play on a DOT ES-335 with .010/.049 Ernie Ball string gauge. A music store saler proposed me to replace strings with a large gauge. D'addario EXL 115W .011/0.49 saying it better suites for blues. It added that the neck might need to be fixed because of the larger gauge. Is anybody here ever tried that before? Is it worth going with that gauge? I play CCR, Blues, John Cougar, George Thorogood, old rock. What the "fix" part means?

Thanks in advance.

Adamsville2k

A .011-set has more string-tension(pulling more weight)then a .010-set. This will cause the neck to bend slightly, which can possibly produce fret-buzz. This bend( or relief in guitar-terms) needs to be fixed by adjusting the truss-rod.

I find string gauge a matter of personal preference. Some will claim a heavier string-gauge will sound better. However according to the latest reports Billy Gibbons is using .007s. And his sound has more balls than Chuck Norris.

Adamsville2k,

Welcome to the forum.

I and many others here do our own truss rod adjustments.

It is not for the faint of heart!! If you are not sure you may want to take it to an expert the first time and watch him.

It is possible to crack a neck if done wrong. Most experts say not to turn the rod more than 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn on any given day.

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

I have had good luck with 10g strings and .010 relief on most of my guitars. A lot of players prefer 11's.

I hope the link works...I seem to be having some problems on my computer. Time for me to rebuild.

First of all, if you're happy with 10's don't let some music store asshole tell you what string gauge to use. Second, yep, Billy G uses 7's or 8's and has the best blues tone on the planet, and third, unless your action is too high for your tastes, there is absolutely no reason on earth to mess with the truss rod.

I've got 5 dots and use 9-42 on all of them.

If blues tone is what you want, I would suggest using pure nickel strings (instead of steel or steel/nickel blends) for more of a 'warm' tone.

And remember that 90% of tone comes from the fingers, not the strings.

Thank you tulsaslim. Your post is really appreciated. By having different opinions, form expert players, it gives me a second thought about all that and probably not doing the move. Yes I do like the sound I got now and we'll looking for better strings in the same gauge instead of switching.

Adamsville2k

Thank you tulsaslim. Your post is really appreciated. By having different opinions' date=' form expert players, it gives me a second thought about all that and probably not doing the move. Yes I do like the sound I got now and we'll looking for better strings in the same gauge instead of switching.

Adamsville2k[/quote']

Strings are cheap just keep trying different ones until you see what you like. Plus if you own more than one guitar you may find some strings open up a certain guitar and some make it sound like a POS.

I have been playing long enough to know what strings I like on certain guitars, but am still surprised now and then.

A .011-set has more string-tension(pulling more weight)then a .010-set. This will cause the neck to bend slightly' date=' which can possibly produce fret-buzz. This bend( or relief in guitar-terms) needs to be [i']fixed[/i] by adjusting the truss-rod.

I find string gauge a matter of personal preference. Some will claim a heavier string-gauge will sound better. However according to the latest reports Billy Gibbons is using .007s. And his sound has more balls than Chuck Norris.

Tony iommi used .008s. His sound is heavier than anything.

You could try a slightly higher action for a better sound.

Most articles i've read on ''blues'' players state they like a medium to high action.

Heavier strings will stay in tune better then light strings.

I like D'Addario nickel wound EXL110 (.010-.046) on all my (electric) guitars.

I've tryed .011's but find string bending hard work with my small hands.

Peter

However according to the latest reports Billy Gibbons is using .007s. And his sound has more balls than Chuck Norris.

.007's???????!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez, I use 10's on all of my electric's except one which came from the factory with .009's (not my Dot). When I changed strings on it, it felt like I was handling 3 foot long hairs they were so thin!!! My eyes probably aren't good enough to even see .007's at this stage, let alone use them LOL. Currently in love with Cleartone 10's for my Dot, Gibby LP and...uhhh...other makes of guitars I own.

I currently play on a DOT ES-335 with .010/.049 Ernie Ball string gauge. A music store saler proposed me to replace strings with a large gauge. D'addario EXL 115W .011/0.49 saying it better suites for blues. It added that the neck might need to be fixed because of the larger gauge. Is anybody here ever tried that before? Is it worth going with that gauge? I play CCR' date=' Blues, John Cougar, George Thorogood, old rock. What the "fix" part means?

Thanks in advance.

Adamsville2k[/quote']

I have to admit that over the years...I'm kind of "set" with 10-46 gauge strings on an electric. I have used .011 to .048 and other gauges that are heavier, but only if it's when I was tuning down a half step or more. (or a .052 was used for Drop D tunings)

I dunno....it's tone vs. comfort. I tend to snap .009 strings within a few days....and if the G and B strings are too heavy, (where I do a lot of string bending) then it just doesn't feel right....tone be damned....

Typically, with MF, you get 'free shipping' when your order exceeds $100. So anytime I order something less than that I get a few sets of strings to bring the order up to $100. Man, I've got lots of strings now.

I notice that GHS makes a 9-42 set 'reinforced' for guys using trems. This might be your solution if you're breaking 9's.

That is surprising that a pro would use 8's (or 7's). I didn't even know you could get 7's.

I didn't know either. I seem to recall it's some obscure Mexican brand he(BG) buys just across the border.

Wondering about your avatar. Is that a young Scorpions-era Michael Schenker?

Typically' date=' with MF, you get 'free shipping' when your order exceeds $100. So anytime I order something less than that I get a few sets of strings to bring the order up to $100. Man, I've got lots of strings now.

I notice that GHS makes a 9-42 set 'reinforced' for guys using trems. This might be your solution if you're breaking 9's.[/quote']

Thats what I did when I bought my LP case from them. Added a stand, and some strings for the price of freight. :D

Granted they messed up the case, and I STILL have not gotten the right one yet. :( NOT a good start!!!!!

adamsville2k -- WELCOME to the forum!

I'm a Epi Les Paul blues player but I do some classic rock type material. I had used Ernie Ball slinky strings (9's & 10's) for several years. However, something was off a tick with my CCR, ZZ Top, and SRV type tones. So, about 6 months ago (after some research coupled with my long time admiration of Hubert Sumlin's tone) I switched to DR Pure Blues 11's and 12's (I also stay tuned down 1 step and then capo if needed). I am thrilled with the result. They may be worth your tryout also.

You could try a slightly higher action for a better sound.

:D Say what? I have never heard of this.

Some blues players use a 'heavy-righthanded' technique to obtain deeper thump-like blues tones -- John Lee Hooker made it an art form. Medium to high action may be required to eliminate fret buzzing that would otherwise result.

Some rules of thumb = the heavier the string guage the

...fuller the tone (more nuance is heard from each note)

...harder it is to bend the string (more finger strength is required)

...better the guitar will stay in tune

...longer the string will last

One other thing about classic blues tones-- for my ears' date=' valve amplification and low watt speakers (better lows/mids) are a must.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Tony iommi used .008s. His sound is heavier than anything.

There was a reason for that. He cut off the ends of two of his fretboard fingers on a machine in a Birmingham, England steel mill. Even after they healed, he used bandaids and other end covers on his fingers to ease the pain. And, he detuned the guitar for lower string tension.

Archived