Gibson Brands Forums

Jazz Strings

L1Picker

For those of you that like the feel/tone of flatwounds, what are your preferences? I run Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing 13's on my hollowbody archtop, and I'm trying to find something new that I can run on my Dot. I put on some D'Addario Half Round 12's today and am not warming up to them too quickly. They seem OK, but not as nice as the TI's. I'd like to find something that doesn't run the better part of a $20 bill to change out.

Any good recommendations?

The only guitar I have flatwounds on is the Elitist Broadway. I tried the D'Adarrio

Half Rounds, (.013 - .056) but didn't find them that great at $13. I'm currently

using Fend*r stainless flats on it (.013-.054) and these are fine, but you will lose

some definition on the bass strings because they are flats. If most of your solo

work in on the first 4, they may be ok.

I'm currently using Dean Markleys (medium guage 11-46 on some of my others and like them a lot) They are

bright, stay in tune and are reasonably inexpensive at 6.95 a set..and they

give you a choice of a wound or plain G in the package at no extra cost.

Actually as flat wounds go the Chromes aren't too bad. Forget the half rounds, they just plain suck. The only flatwire guitar string that I would ever use is D'Angellica Electric Gold. They are not made any more and I don't know why. They sounded great wore like iron and sounded almost as alive as round wounds. These days I use Dean Markley Jazz Set mainly because I can't afford Pyrimid Strings.

The only guitar I have flatwounds on is the Elitist Broadway. I tried the D'Adarrio

Half Rounds' date=' (.013 - .056) but didn't find them that great at $13. [/quote']

I just ordered a couple of sets of D'Adarrio Half Rounds because they were the only thing I could find that are long enough for the Frequensator tailpiece. The D string needs to be almost 40" long.

I'm currently using Fend*r stainless flats on it (.013-.054) and these are fine' date=' [/quote']

I happened to have a spare set of Fender strings lying around, but the D string wasn't long enough. Maybe Dean Markleys is the way to go?

I happened to have a spare set of Fender strings lying around' date=' but the D string wasn't long enough. Maybe Dean Markleys is the way to go?[/quote']

Sorry BillyBob, but I forgot to mention that I removed (and stored the frequensator).

I have my own custom designed art deco tp that is straight across, and now I'm free

to experiment with any make of strings, not to mention that the massive 1/8 thick

copper/brass tp provides a lot of nice damping that (apparently) was not as

pronounced with the frequensator.

Nothing like that L5 tailpiece for that distinct L5 sound on a Broadway..and so far no

fake ones on the market offered.

I have my own custom designed art deco tp that is straight across

Got pics? That sounds like something I'd like to do to my Broadway. That Frequensator is such a pain when changing strings. You need three hands! So I developed this technique:

Remove the old top E, B & G strings first. Take the old top E string, cut off the ball end, cut off the twisty bit from the tuning peg end and feed it through the ball ends of the new E, B & G strings. "Load" the Frequensator tailpiece and tie the old E string to the tailpiece so the strings don't fall out. Now you can use both hands to feed the strings into the tuners, and you won't have 28 wraps around the tuning peg because the ball end fell out of the Frequensator... again!

Anyway, I put the D'Addario Half Rounds on last night and... what a difference! Once I tuned all the strings to proper pitch, I stretched everything, re-tuned, and it's stayed in tune ever since! It feels great and the tone is great. I'm guessing the larger gauge (12-52 instead of my regular 10-46) is mostly responsible rather than the fact that they're half round? And that buzz on the G string on the second fret has gone.

Archived