Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Special P-90 on Craigslist

RobinTheHood

Those LP juniors are:

A. Plywoood, most of the time (some sunburst and cherry red aren't).

B. Fitted with a P-100, a P-90 with a dummy coil, technically a humbucker, and generally not well liked by P-90 lovers.

C. Fitted with the worst tuning machines known to man.

If you REALLY liek the look and style or feel of this guitfiddle, then you CAN take the dummy coil out and get a true P-90.

Guide: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/blue_gtr/gtr/paul_jr.pdf

You'd be better to find an LP junior for about 100 shipped on ebay, and buy a HB sized P-90 in it.

They did a limited run of those about a year ago' date=' but they were only $100, so that one isn't a very good price.

Iansmitchell, it probably does have bad tuners and probably is made of plywood, but they aren't p-100's. They came with real p-90's, and people around here seem to like those.

[/quote']

Are you sure?

I knew EVERY one from before 1999 had a P-90 shaped P-100 humbucker, before they switched to the humbuckers they use now.

Another perspective on the cheap-y P-90 Juniors:

I bought one a few years back at a pawn shop. I forget the details now, but a check on the serial number said it was already several years old at the time. It is cherry-red (I guess) with a black dog-ear P-90.

At the time I had no idea what sort of pick-up this was. I asked a friend who owned a local music store. He plugged in (after doing my set-up) and told me "It's a P-90 and they only came with this model for a while." (By this time the LP Juniors apparently had the HBs or P-100s.)

Then he asked if he could borrow it to record with. The sound of this guitar is SO different from my other Epi Junior (G-310)... in an awesome way! And this music-store-cat wasn't the last person who asked to borrow this guitar. I've raved about this LP Junior before.

Tuners: they look cheap, certainly they are cheap, but funny- I have never had a problem with them. Damp jam-hall, changes of weather, accidental storage in a wet basement in a cardboard box.... moving, packing, unpacking... these tuners don't seem to be affected. I might replace them just to upgrade the guitar in general, but then I think "Why"?

So, there ARE some pawn shop gems out there, for sure. This LP Junior is one of them, for sure.

Those LP juniors are:

A. Plywoood' date=' most of the time (some sunburst and cherry red aren't).

B. Fitted with a P-100, a P-90 with a dummy coil, technically a humbucker, and generally not well liked by P-90 lovers.

C. Fitted with the worst tuning machines known to man.

If you REALLY liek the look and style or feel of this guitfiddle, then you CAN take the dummy coil out and get a true P-90.

Guide: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/blue_gtr/gtr/paul_jr.pdf

You'd be better to find an LP junior for about 100 shipped on ebay, and buy a HB sized P-90 in it.[/quote']

A & C I pretty much figured upon. I dont really care for LPs in general, but I'm curious about the P-90s after hearing so much about them here.

A & C I pretty much figured upon. I dont really care for LPs in general, but I'm curious about the P-90s after hearing so much about them here.[/quote

Well, for 39 bucks(GFS' dogear P-90 price; shipped) or some labor, wiring and a 3-way switch, you can change that out for or into a real P-90.

Unless it's actually stocked with one, if it is, jump on that sucka.

The cherry red LP juniors were the only ones that were actually mahogany... (according to dr. gregory spud)

Finding one of those WITH a real deal P-90' date=' is a chance of lifetime.

Good job...[/quote']

I'm assuming mine is "cherry" red. It's a darker red, with subtle veins of darker red-to-black. Looks like what you see on some of the better looking SGs, rather than a solid colour red.

When I play it, I find myself looking down at the back of the neck and admiring it (I could say the same thing about a girl I met recently).

The neck is the same colour as the rest of the guitar. I have seen others (newer) in the local shop and the neck is not always matched to the body.

Sorry, no pics handy.

Archived