Gibson Brands Forums

So I've had my Elitist LP for coming up on 2 years and just realized...

thunderstruck507

I've never actually set it up myself...

I bought it used on ebay, opened it, played it, turned the bridge about half a turn in the lowering motion, and that's been that...

I've never actually adjusted the truss rod or anything, just changed the strings and swapped the neck pickup for a zebra

Kinda makes me wonder if I should leave well enough alone since it plays like a dream or actually mess around with it and see if maybe, just maybe, it might have an even sweeter spot

I know I need to do that with my SG

But anyway just my little observation, either the previous owner was a setup genius or these guitars might be even better than I realized haha #-o/

I am still very curious who it might have been. The guitar has a couple dings, some minor belt scratches, but overall is very clean...but the case is actually worn out enough the guitar shakes inside and has a bit of wear, kinda makes me think someone toured or at least gigged heavily with this thing.

I just think it would be awesome to know who it belonged to and what they did with it. I was just crossing my fingers hoping it wouldn't be a dog, but it has ended up being one of the best playing LPs I've touched.

The guy who taught me to play (has 2 Gibsons and 2 PRS, has owned many other fine guitars) wanted to buy it after only playing it 5 minutes or so. Straight up offered to either give me my money back for it or even trade for one of the PRS he has. I was pretty flattered.

Well, that should tell you a lot, about what to do with it...set up wise.

There may come a time, when it Needs it, but if it plays as well as you've

stated, why risk it? I know...some people just Have to "tinker," to get it

to "their" feel...but, it sound like it's already there, for you. Leave it alone,

until something happens, and you really have to!

CB

I am still very curious who it might have been. The guitar has a couple dings' date=' some minor belt scratches, but overall is very clean...but the case is actually worn out enough the guitar shakes inside and has a bit of wear, kinda makes me think someone toured or at least gigged heavily with this thing.

I just think it would be awesome to know who it belonged to and what they did with it. I was just crossing my fingers hoping it wouldn't be a dog, but it has ended up being one of the best playing LPs I've touched.

The guy who taught me to play (has 2 Gibsons and 2 PRS, has owned many other fine guitars) wanted to buy it after only playing it 5 minutes or so. Straight up offered to either give me my money back for it or even trade for one of the PRS he has. I was pretty flattered.[/quote']

What kind of PRS? I think I might have taken that trade!=D> If you make minor adjustments and keep track of what you are doing you can always go back to where it's at right now....I wouldn't be too worried about tweaking it a bit. But if it plays that well already....why bother?

I had an LP I didn't have to touch for almost 10 years. If you're happy with the way it feels don't touch it. I've got two elitists like that. My tech keeps trying to talk me into doing the Buzz Feiten thing (which is great) but the setup on those guitars are so perfect I don't want anybody touching them.

Unless you can make it better...

that's not technically a fix...

anyway, sight down the fretboard, if it's bowed then and only then, adjust the truss rod. then you'll need to adjust the action and intonation, and you'll be set.

if it's not bowed, has good action and good intonation, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Archived