Gibson Brands Forums

Roller Bridge, Hole Diameter on Epi Dot Studio??

mushy

Hi there im wanting to fit a roller bridge to my guitar, does anyone know the hole diameter for an Epiphone dot studio?? I cant get access to my guitar just now to measure and could do with ordering it today. The roller bridge options are B24 or B27.

Any help much appreciated!!

Hi there im wanting to fit a roller bridge to my guitar' date=' does anyone know the hole diameter for an Epiphone dot studio?? I cant get access to my guitar just now to measure and could do with ordering it today. The roller bridge options are B24 or B27.

Any help much appreciated!![/quote']

B24/B27..Which roller bridge are you referring to? Does your Dot have the nashville style (M5 x .8 threads) or the ABR-1 style (M4 x.75) ? The hole diameter bushing could be different for those, but typically they should be 8mm.

The schaller roller bridge has M5 coarse studs and 0.278 (7-8mm) bushing diameter.

Some roller bridges such as the Stew-Mac/GFS locking roller bridge is M8 x 1.25 threads require a new bushing and actual diameter of the bushings themselves should be around 10mm-11mm. I used a 12mm forestner bit to drill out the holes on my homemade LP which uses the GFS locking roller bridge.

Mushy. Tell me why you're putting a roller bridge on it if you don't have a trem. I thought about doing it myself but didn't see any advantage if I didn't have a trem.

On mine, it's better sustain (IMO) due to the massive 12mm bushings, better intonation adjustments,

and the strings tune a bit easier. I use the GFS/Stew-Mac locking roller bridge on mine.

Well now you've piqued my interest again. Does StewMac have a roller bridge that would fit on Epi LPs? Anybody know?

I put the Stewmac roller bridge on my Dot. I did try it on my G-400 with Maestro, but I couldn't get it on. Worst case senario, you could always send it back. They are good a taking returns, you just have to pay shipping both ways - bummer.

From the picture, these roller bridges come with the large bushings (Tone Pro style)

which are probably similar to the ones that mentioned Stew-Mac/GFS. Those are large bushings (10-11mm)

and probably won't fit on your Dot without enlarging the (8mm, I think, standar t-o-m)

holes. I'm not sure if this is something you want to undertake yourself, as the hole enlargement

for these larger bushings can be very tricky.

Schaller also makes a roller bridge that comes with M5 threads and the 8mm bushings..

a bit more expensive, but maybe less retrofit work.

However, if it's string breakage reduction that you are interested in, why not try

a set of Graph Tech string savers...these are replacement teflon impregnated individual

saddles that will work for your Epiphone at far less cost probably than trying to

retrofit a Wilkinson style roller bridge?

here's the link to these..

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/saddles_graphtechgibson.htm

Those don't look like roller bridges to me.

Sounds like you have a burr on one or more of your saddles. Just file them down. Easy and cheaper.

EDIT: Whoops..wrong pic included..I was referring to the original posters pic.

JC, if you look closely, they do have small rollers, but the style is more like the t-o-m/nashville bridge rather

than the allen set screw adjusting "wilkenson style" that GFS/Stew-Mac sell. I happen to have one of the

GFS large stud roller bridges on mine, which is identical to the Stew-Mac, as these are asian manufactured

and therefore relatively inexpensive.

Yes, it's possible it might be a burr, and the angle/notch can be adjusted fairly easily as well. But based

on my Epi OEM t-o-m, these are not what I would call quality bridges..even a Stew-Mac..standard or

Nashville style t-om would still be better...however, it's worth trying to adjust the notch on whatever string

keeps breaking on him.

The break angle is better, in addition to sustain improvement, tuning stability, friction reduction, strings don't break at the bridge, and the tone (IMO) feels a bit rounder, if you will. On a stop tail, it works really nicely in addition to stringing OVER the stop piece.

Nice sustain, tone, feel and function upgrade if you ask me.

And a graphite or bone nut is a fine complement on the other end of the string.

Archived