Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Custom : Hardware upgrade choices.

V-Type

Ive had my Les Paul Custom for 3 years now and never really felt the need to change any of its stock hardware.

I did however change out pickups and some electronics and the difference was Very Pleasant.

I now want to do a significant upgrade - bridge/tailpiece wise. But so many choices and variables.

What do you guys suggest or use yourselves.

Thanks.

you have a few choices... allparts.com is a good place to check, and wdmusic.com, too, has parts.

I have a sheraton, completely redone, which left me only ONE choice.. and they are no longer making the bridge tail for my model, so I squeaked under the wire on that.

gotoh and tonepros are probably the most common upgrades.

Tonepros has metric locking bridge tail..

gotoh is just higher quality metal..

either will be better than stock.

measurement of hole spacing is what to look out for.

on mine, there was a difference in hole size and I left one set of inserts in.. the other posts fit it and that way I didn't have to change the hole size.

on certain models, such as the firebirds, replacement bridges may not go low enough to get the best action.. I just modified one for a guy to make sure that wouldn't be the case when he put it on.

But I think that LPs just have to worry about post hole spacing.

you know as much as I admire beautiful wood and therefore transparent finishes.

I have to admit I always pause to look at the lp custom.. boy that's tasty!

that tp6 would be definately cool.

I don't find a need for locking tuners or for roller bridge.. but hey.. they are upgrades and certainly

good stuff.

roller bridge may at least help reduce string breaks.. and I have to say, locking grovers are my faves, whammy or not.

you could go as nuts as dbirchett and add the bigsby!

whooohooo!

+1 on the Bigsby, but then I have wanted a Black Custom LP with a B7 or B70 for quite a while. A roller bridge would definitely be nice with a Bigsby. I put a B70 and roller bridge on my Dot and I just love 'em.

If you are gonna keep the hardware gold, a set of gold Grover Vintage Green Keytone tuners would look sweet too. I like the shape of the keystone knobs over the kidney shaped ones.

I dunno. I think at this point the only casual upgrade I'm considering are locking tuners. But, it's not a necessity on that Custom that I own.

As for the bridge? I put All Parts saddles in mine, although I am interested in that new bridge that Epiphone introduced. (The Dr. Epiphone one featured on the main page.)

The Gotoh import bridge ($23) and a Gibson TP-6 ($59 chrome) are the best combo I've ever had.

I'm so sold on the Tp-6 that every stop piece guitar I have gets one.

any aggrivation from overtuning is eliminated. Makes using a tuner pedal that much easier because you're not constantly overshooting the greenline. (sorry for the horrid photos)

LP006.jpg

158400163.jpg

WhiskeyNewYear231.jpg

The Gotoh import bridge ($23) and a Gibson TP-6 ($59 chrome) are the best combo I've ever had.

I'm so sold on the Tp-6 that every stop piece guitar I have gets one.

any aggrivation from overtuning is eliminated. Makes using a tuner pedal that much easier because you're not constantly overshooting the greenline. (sorry for the horrid photos)

LP006.jpg

158400163.jpg

WhiskeyNewYear231.jpg

Hey Gas Jones. Im really liking the looks of the TP-6. Its not too big but yet more substantial looking than the Epi Stocker too me.

Do they drop right in or is drilling required?

:P

Ive had my Les Paul Custom for 3 years now and never really felt the need to change any of its stock hardware.

I did however change out pickups and some electronics and the difference was Very Pleasant.

I now want to do a significant upgrade - bridge/tailpiece wise. But so many choices and variables.

What do you guys suggest or use yourselves.

Thanks.

That is an epi les paul custom in your photo caption correct ?? Where did you get those knobs ? Are those the original pots ? I didn't know they sold cool knobs that would fit onto Epi/Chinese pots..

That is an epi les paul custom in your photo caption correct ?? Where did you get those knobs ? Are those the original pots ? I didn't know they sold cool knobs that would fit onto Epi/Chinese pots..

Yeah its an 2003 MIK Epiphone LP Custom. Surprisingly the pots were very good to begin with.

I swapped the anemic stock pups for a Duncan set(Custom Custom/AP II) and she roars with the best of em.

The Gold knobs were from GC and fit perfectly.

Archived