Gibson Brands Forums

Guess it's time to introduce myself..,

rgb7

Been lurking for a while now, so first off, thanks for all the insight, info, and humor.

Purchased a G-400 several weeks ago, and am taking lessons at the ripe old age of 56, after "trying" to play off and on since my teens.

Great place here, so I'm off to the SG solo thread.

rgb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGB, I think there are a lot of us old farts that have pretty much the same story. We started playing in our teens thinking it would make us irresistable to the opposite sex and fun besides. If it did, they sure kept it a secret!!!

Anyway, after college, beginning a career and raising kids, the guitars pretty much got sold and/or put away. Am I hitting a familiar chord here?

Then something happens to rekindle the flame.

In my case, some people at my Church decide that it would be a hoot to have a Valentine's dance with the music provided by Church members. Now we aren't a Church that uses a praise band or anything like that so we were really spitting in the dark. But we had a keyboard player who was an excellent musician and his sister had performed a lot too. I hadn't been on stage for about 35 years and our bass player was pretty much in the same situation. There was another guitar player that we knew but had never really played with. He was only in his mid 40s. The youngster! The drummer we wanted to use wasn't available so we got a college student that we knew and the keyboard player had one of his son's friends fill in on lead guitar. We practiced and practiced and put together a decent set list of songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Well, we sucked, or at least most of us did. The Keyboard player carried us through. But you know what, people loved us and we kept on. We lost the lead guitar and the drummer we wanted came back (He hadn't been on stage for 40 years but didn't miss a beat -- pun intended). We started to get a little better and then the keyboard player up and moved away. So we sucked even worse. And we had to find another keyboard.

But we kept at it. And here we are 3 1/2 years later and still having a ball. We have moved from ultra sucky to sucky to horrible to bad and with a little more practice we might make mediocre! We call ourselves the Grateful Dads and play where we can. Our grandkids are our biggest fans. At one gig, my 8 year old grand son told my wife, "Grandma, you're lucky. You're married to a rock star!" So she told him that he had a rock star for a grandpa and that made his day. Kinda made mine too!

Well, the other guitar player and I both play Sheratons, among other guitars and I have played a Del Rey with them too. (Have to keep some Epiphone content in here).

hi everyone, ive been lurking for a while aswell seemed like a good thread to introduce myself , i,m 33 and started playing a year ago and thought i was too old to start learning but your never too old. i think you get out what you put in.

Welcome guys.

Congrats on your SG rgb7...great choise BTW :- I'm with Randy...53 and picked up the guitar when I was very young and still cluless. Which is a good thing I'm thinking....if I knew to much I'd know how bad I really am #-o

Welcome

Good luck on the learning part..

I`m another youngester on here 53 been playing forty years now.

Nope ,an not sitting in the house either,to many clubs,places

Fisrt gig we did was a high school sock-hop..did a number of

proms, teen dances,sweet heart.ya been doin it for awhile now.

getting ready to put the band together again this fall..

Want to start doin some older rock fifties been asked.

should be fun to go an do the one hit wonder songs..

Hey rgb, first welcome from "Down under"

Second, gee there are a lot of us "MATURE" (not manure) gentleman (cough cough :)) here, I'm 49, 50 this year and only took up playing again after about 30 years. To all you younger "KIDS" ........................ bugger forgot what I was going to say................... LOL............ :- #-o

Seriously mate welcome here it's a great second home to a lot of us...............

OH,......... Ken is my name, hang on ............................Yet my name tag says so.................HAHAHAHAHA

I enjoyed reading these posts thismorning blokes, made me laugh lots.. =D> =D> =D>

Thanks

RR

Our grandkids are our biggest fans. At one gig' date=' my 8 year old grand son told my wife, "Grandma, you're lucky. You're married to a rock star!" So she told him that he had a rock star for a grandpa and that made his day. Kinda made mine too! [/quote']

Mate that's SOOOOO cool, =D>

Excellant, kids are great!!!

Rock on dude...........

RR

I'm 45, and not that great a guitar player, but I enjoy myself tremendously.

In the last couple of years I have got up at a local coffee house a couple of times, and really would like to get a band together for fun here in Toronto (so if any of you are here....)

It's interesting to notice that the majority of those who have posted here are over 40, with a couple of people being in their 30's.

Archived