Gibson Brands Forums

Guess it's time to introduce myself..,

rgb7

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bien le bonjour, d'un vieux grincheux de Montreal... ( hi, from an old fart from Montreal,lollll )

I'm in the average age overhere, 55 and playing since the age of 13. Still playing in a rock band, gigging about 15 times a year.

I probably don't have to say I'm the oldest of the band, but the youngest in attitude...lolll

Welcome to that nice forum...in fact, this forum is nice because of the peoples who are posting in it...it's the most friendly I ever seen.

Welcome and congrats on the G400. I too have been playing on and off since my teens. My biggest off-lapse was almost 10 years. I'm 42 now. I have given up on becoming the best guitarist in the world, having lost most of my pretentiousness with the realisation I lack the talent, and actually enjoy playing more than ever. Biggest drawback of getting older is the GAS seems to increase.

Hey, we're all living proof that just because we're getting older doesn't mean we have to grow up!

Seriously, playing music is the best cure for the "grumpies" I've found yet --- it quite literally keeps you young! A friend of mine told me of going to see the great classical pianist Vladimir Horowitz perform near the end of his life. Horowitz was quite frail and feeble, and had to be assisted onstage and led to the piano bench. As soon as he started playing, his posture straightened, his eyes cleared, and his hands were full of fire, passion, and precision, as he played with his usual brilliance. When the concert was over, he again had to be helped offstage, but while he was playing, he was ageless.

I witnessed something very similar a couple of years ago seeing Robin Trower perform at a small club in northern California. A very thin and crinkly grandfatherly-looking bloke with wispy gray hair (in black leather pants, no less!) walked onto the stage, plugged his strat into a Marshall half-stack, and proceeded to blow the doors off the room, grinning as though he was having the best time! While he was playing, all anyone saw was the luminosity of the spirit, not the mileage on the man. A fair number of young fellers (teens, early 20's) with various metal-fan accoutrements were in attendance, and had obviously never seen or heard anything like it --- their jaws were on the floor!

RGB' date=' I think there are a lot of us old farts that have pretty much the same story. We started playing in our teens thinking it would make us irresistable to the opposite sex and fun besides. If it did, they sure kept it a secret!!!

(Edited)

But we kept at it. And here we are 3 1/2 years later and still having a ball. We have moved from ultra sucky to sucky to horrible to bad and with a little more practice we might make mediocre! We call ourselves the Grateful Dads and play where we can. Our grandkids are our biggest fans. At one gig, my 8 year old grand son told my wife, "Grandma, you're lucky. You're married to a rock star!" So she told him that he had a rock star for a grandpa and that made his day. Kinda made mine too!

Pretty much the same story here. We started a 9:00am contemporary service and put together a band comprised of members who had various backgrounds. Some were musicians who had played in bands around town and others had no clue, but had talent. The preacher wanted us to start in the "old social hall" which had a small stage and enough room for about 80-100 chairs. We bought a new PA with a 24 channel board and an LCD projector, repainted the walls and built a sound booth. We practiced for weeks and set the date for the first service.

The first contemporary service day came and we served coffee and donuts. All chairs were filled and there were people standing in the aisles and outside the double doors looking in. We started the service, played our first song (an upbeat rock style number) and ended it to a roar of clapping, whistling, and hoot calls! These people were fired up about contemporary rock! After a couple of weeks, so many people went to the pastor and complained about not having a place to sit that he agreed to let us move to the main sanctuary.

It wasn't long before the contemporary service had grown to over 200 attendees which resulted in a total growth in attendance of 100 new people coming to church. The new service was attracting more people than the 11:00 traditional service and added over 100 to the total church attendance. We haven't looked back since.

I personally think that it was my Epiphone LP Custom Flametop that they just enjoyed looking at. week after week. (grin)

Hello all,

I'm kind of quiet but couldn't pass up this opportunity to say "HI". I'll be 66 this new year's eve. Still working in a country/southern rock band and in a jazz/swing group. Around 50 gigs a year I would guess. Still loving the music but I find it is a lot more work keeping things moving up to par.

Great forum, great members.

Thanks.

Nice to meet everyone. I'm 48 and been playing guitar since i was 13. I really started playing in serious working bands in my twenties (clubs and bars etc.) but in my thirties the wife, kids and job swallowed up all my time. Playing with other musicians rarely happened but it gave me a chance to teach the kids how to play. Now i'm a new grandpa and hope i'm around long enough to teach another generation.

Hi there!

It is also time to say hello. I am about to receive my first guitar and begin my road to learn how to play it. Tomorrow it should arrive from MF. I am really excited. With the help of this forum I selected a G400 Alpine white and a Microcube.

I have been looking at freebie online lessons and trying to excercise my fingers HA!

Yes I know my Avatar is not a guitar but it is one of my toys that I really enjoy.

Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to mention is that I just hit the 65 year mark. I hope I have enough years left to get somewhat proficient on the guitar!

thanks again for a great forum !

rbc

Welcome rbc. I'm surprised that this forum helped you pick the microcube since there has been nothing but tons of glowing things said about the Vjr. lol. Good luck learning the guitar - I picked it up at 45. Yes, you can still teach old dogs new tricks.

Wow.., thanks for the replies all.

Fun to hear how similar many things are for each of us, no matter where we may live.

Sure, there are many differences also, but a common thread to all remain the music and the guitars.

I may not post a lot, but I'll be reading and enjoying.

Thanks Again,

What a great place! :(

rgb

Archived