Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Digger

Wall Hangers

I would be grateful for the advice of those of you that have mounted wall hangers in the past please.

Is mounting such a device with toggle bolts into plaster board strong enough to hold one of our beloved guitars?

Or do you have to go searching for a stud (hard to find)?

My little study is about to receive another occupant and I have no choice but to go up with my storage.

Thanks

Dig

I recently bought a wall hangar and paid about 25 bucks for it. It lasted for about 2 weeks after i put a cheap acoustic on it. it fell out of the wall and smashed the acoustics headstock. If your guitar means a lot to you i recomend getting one that supports yours on the ground not a cheap wall hangar.

I recently bought a wall hangar and paid about 25 bucks for it. It lasted for about 2 weeks after i put a cheap acoustic on it. it fell out of the wall and smashed the acoustics headstock. If your guitar means a lot to you i recomend getting one that supports yours on the ground not a cheap wall hangar.

Or don't buy junk. I use them and have never, ever had a bad experience. They work very well.

Or don't buy junk. I use them and have never' date=' ever had a bad experience. They work very well.[/quote']

Wow! were'd you get yours.

I don't mean to be a jerk...but with an average pull out rating of 70lbs for 2 anchors....you installed them wrong my friend. They should support any guitar without a problem when installed correctly IMHO.

When I say plasic wall anchors I mean the large white corse screw in type...if yours came with those little 1/4 inch red plastic jobbies thats the problem. Anyhow toggles will support up to 100lbs in 1/2 " sheetrock with 2 anchors.

I haven't put up the wall hangers yet' date=' but I am going to drive them into studs. The toggle might work, but the stud is a real comfort factor[/quote']

Certainly the best option...if you can hit studs on your layout design...thats always best!

Thanks to all of you, I will take your advice on board and be careful with what I buy. Absolutely no room for any more tripod stands in this room so I really have no choice. I envisage having 6 guitars in total so 2 have to be stored off the ground one way or another, unless I win lotto and then it will be a custom built music room with LOTS of guitars ~

Have a good'n

Dig

I bought a 10$ wall hanger from Long/McQuade over a year ago. Since it was intended for my acoustic, I bought the kind with the wooden mounting plaque. Looks a lot like this (random Google image search):

http://www.promusicaustralia.com/other/On-Stage/OS-Products/gtr/GS7730_Mini_Guitar_Wall_Hanger.jpg

I mounted it to a wooden book case. The weight of all the large, hardcover books on three shelves balances any minor 'pull' that my acoustic guitar might have towards the floor. I've never had a wiggle, even. Solid as can be.

However, putting the same hanger into a plaster wall (using plastic inserts), and hanging an electric guitar on it would seem like madness to me. Maybe if a wall-stud were in a convenient place, and you screwed the hanger into the stud...? (edit: I see that folks posting above have already thought of this)

The acoustic guitar hanging on the wooden book case looks pretty classy though.

I highly recommend mounting into the studs, being that the hanger will

be jiggled, stressed, etc. every time you hang/unhang a guitar. In a previous

thread, someone showed a picture of how he secured a length of 1 x 4 lumber

horizontally on the wall, then mounted the hangers to it.

Mount the hanger to the stud. If you can't find the studs you can buy an inexpensive stud finder at any home improvement center. It's worth the investment.

Dig' date='

I have two stands (a 3 and a 7) similar to these:

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=1081

They take up little room compared to the number of guitars they hold.[/quote']

Thanks Ron,

I was wondering where those stands came from and will save that link as grist for the mill. Only problem is it takes 5 "electric" guitars and I will only have 3 ?? Damn! I'd need to buy 2 more....not another divorce ~

From the comments here I am convinced to try to pick up a stud for the mounting and will give that a go.

Thanks again, Oh by the way Mr Moderator the wall hanger is for Epiphone guitars only ~

Dig

I've got 16 hangin and some are in studs and some arn't, never had a problem no matter what I hang where. There all electrics so there not light. Stan.

I would also say either put up a wall ground or find all the studs.

Sorry I just don't trust drywall. I trust it to be fire resistant for the rated hours, and hang some photos, but I would not hang guitars on it alone.

You also have some of the older homes where they nailed rather than screwed it. If you live in one of these older homes, unless they glued it during install, that it how you end up with the humpy celings sometimes.

Something I've seen suggested before (I don't know if it was here or at the Fender forum) is to mount a long board to the wall (on the studs) and mount the hangers on it.

Something I've seen suggested before (I don't know if it was here or at the Fender forum) is to mount a long board to the wall (on the studs) and mount the hangers on it.

LOL It was here, about 6 posts above