Gibson Brands Forums

Could you help me dating this Sheraton ?

uriah666

Hi friends, sorry for my poor English.

I´m trying to find some information about an Epiphone Sheraton II guitar I bought used like 3 years ago. The previous owner told me the guitar may be between 7-10 years old but he was not sure at all because he already bought it from another guy.

I´m very interested in finding the year it was made, where it was and as many details as can be found out.

The guitar has a sticker (nearly broken at the end for the pass of the years) with a serial number on it ( 0231644 xx ?, the sticker is broken at the end so there could be some numbers missing at the end) but this serial number doesn´t fit any of the Epiphone Serial Number patterns I have found over the Internet.

These are the pictures :

12451311129887.gif e8ff1711129890.gif 63b1f611129894.gif 9df39611129897.gif 062acf11129900.gif

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

It´s clear that the bridge may not be original, and of course neither the Bigsby it´s.

It has no sticker inside the "F" holes. Could you help me to get any information ?

Best Regards from Spain.

pd: btw I have already contacted gibson´s support email with the same information but thought they were very kind they weren´t very helpfull at all.

Hi friends' date=' sorry for my poor English.

I´m trying to find some information about an Epiphone Sheraton II guitar I bought used like 3 years ago. The previous owner told me the guitar may be between 7-10 years old but he was not sure at all because he already bought it from another guy.

I´m very interested in finding the year it was made, where it was and as many details as can be found out.

The guitar has a sticker (nearly broken at the end for the pass of the years) with a serial number on it ( 0231644 xx ?, the sticker is broken at the end so there could be some numbers missing at the end) but this serial number doesn´t fit any of the Epiphone Serial Number patterns I have found over the Internet.

It´s clear that the bridge may not be original, and of course neither the Bigsby it´s.

It has no sticker inside the "F" holes. Could you help me to get any information ?

Best Regards from Spain.

pd: btw I have already contacted gibson´s support email with the same information but thought they were very kind they weren´t very helpfull at all.[/quote']

Late '80s / early 90s. 1989 - 1992 approximately. Made by Samick in Korea. The bridge is original.

Wow thanks !!' date=' could you tell me how did you manage to get this info ?[/quote']

The stickers were used on the first Korean Sheratons made by Samick starting in 1986. Around 1992, Epiphone switched to the current serial number system (eg. S94021234) that's stamped on the back of the headstock. So since yours had a sticker, we know it was made 1986 - 1992 (approximately). However, the first couple of years (1986 - 1988) the Sheraton headstocks said Epiphone by Gibson like this:

epi%20sheraton%20neck.jpg

Since yours just says Epiphone, we can safely conclude it was manufactured after 1988.

The bridge is a standard Samick style that was used back then, the spacing is a little different than your standard bridge.

BTW, those are very nice guitars.

The bridge is a standard Samick style that was used back then' date=' the spacing is a little different than your standard bridge.

BTW, those are very nice guitars.[/quote']

Thank you so much JerryMac, this sheraton it´s a great axe and I´m looking to upgrade it as much as my wallet could afford.

I have read several posts with information about the bridge but could anyone recommend me a Roller bridge that fits in ?

Best Regards.

Archived