Gibson Brands Forums

locking nut for ?epi strat? nut

Mr. E

my friend has an epi, not epiphone, strat copy. he his thinking of getting a locking nut and fix his tremolo to work like a pseudo floyd rose. he is afraid of screwing up his guitar mainly because of two things: 1. has a tight budget. 2. thinks it will be really hard to find a replacement neck for an epi strat style guitar. do you guys know of a locking nut for the guitar and where i could get it? (please no really expensive nuts that cost about triple more than the guitar... remember, tight budget)

well that is his question... now here is mine.

Why does the headstock have only epi? its like a hockey stick looking headstock.

Edit: well, the headstock looks more like an ibanez, but not really. i dont remember wel... the last time i saw it was about a month ago.

The Epi name on the headstock is just one of the many variations Epiphone does from time to time. My Epi strat said "Epiphone by Gibson" on it. (think Ibanez or Carvin shape headstock) All of the "Epi" logo headstocks I've ever seen were the "hockey stick" or "Kramer" style.

I personally wouldnt suggest putting a lock nut system on a guitar without the locking trem to match. How would he fine tune the strings once the nut was locked? Locking the nut does not mean that the strings dont EVER go out of tune. Once you initially lock the nut, you immediately have to fine tune the strings because the tension from the lock nut pulls them slightly out of tune. That is why Floyds and Kahlers (etc.) have fine tuners on them.

Also, you would have to mount the lock nut on the bridge (like a string tree) because there is probably not enough room to fit it at the end of the first fret.

The Epi name on the headstock is just one of the many variations Epiphone does from time to time. My Epi strat said "Epiphone by Gibson" on it. (think Ibanez or Carvin shape headstock) All of the "Epi" logo headstocks I've ever seen were the "hockey stick" or "Kramer" style.

I personally wouldnt suggest putting a lock nut system on a guitar without the locking trem to match. How would he fine tune the strings once the nut was locked? Locking the nut does not mean that the strings dont EVER go out of tune. Once you initially lock the nut' date=' you immediately have to fine tune the strings because the tension from the lock nut pulls them slightly out of tune. That is why Floyds and Kahlers (etc.) have fine tuners on them.

Also, you would have to mount the lock nut on the bridge (like a string tree) because there is probably not enough room to fit it at the end of the first fret.

[/quote'] i just talked to him and i mentioned locking tuners... but i dont know if that will work.

Archived