Gibson Brands Forums

How powerfull is the head?

Hello guys. I've been looking at getting myself a brand new jr head to take the chassis out and put in a handbuilt speaker cab. I play harp so I'll probably change the preamp tube to a quality 12au7 or 12at7 depending on what sounds best. The problem is, how many speakers can this little amp move. I was looking at building a 2x10 but would build a 4x8 if you lot think it could push enough air. Also, in the new head, should I change r1 to a 1m as I know you had to on the older versions. Thanking you in advance. Luke

it can run a 4x12 easy enough.

that being said. the ZVex Nano 1/2 watt tube amp also can run a 4x12 and the Jr is a 5w amp.

There is always lots of talk about cone break up and such, each speaker sounds a bit different. If you notice that Epiphone packages an 80w speaker with the Jr.

Will it sound different with a V30 or a lead speaker, yes each has their own voice both are near 100db and rated at 60w and 80w. If you put a 25w green basketed what ever the VJ will sound different again.

The tone from the speaker changes, that's your choice. Just remember that you probably won't put a 5w speaker with a 5w amp, you'll blow the speaker and that might do something nasty to the amp.

And the way the speaker cab is rated in watts is the sum of all the speakers in the box in series or parallel (lowest rated; just in case you've mixed wattages in the same cab, so a 4x12 @ 60each is 240w cab and a 2x10 with one a 30w and the other at 45w makes it a 60w cab not 75)

So, if you haven't figured it out a speaker or a stack of speakers rated more the 15w will work with the Jr. whether its 1x6, 2x8, 4x10, 8x12.

Cheers. I've e-mailed Ted Weber about speakers and this is his reply

'I would use two 10's. One, a 30 watt 10A125 with H dustcap and one a 10A125-O, 20 watt, with H dustcap, both lightly doped and well broken in by us.'

So I think I'll go for a 2x10 cab (40 watt?)

Does any1 know some simple mods to voice the vjr head for harp

I would wait to hear how it sounds with the speakers before modifying the Vjr. Then decide what you'd like to hear different. Making mods -just because others have - before even hearing how it sounds just doesn't make much sense to me.

Cheers. I've e-mailed Ted Weber about speakers and this is his reply

'I would use two 10's. One' date=' a 30 watt 10A125 with H dustcap and one a 10A125-O, 20 watt, with H dustcap, both lightly doped and well broken in by us.'

So I think I'll go for a 2x10 cab (40 watt?)

[/quote']

Go to sewatt.com and ask...there are some harp players that have done just what you are thinking about.

I tried my Valve Junior plugged into a Marshall 1960 4 X 12 cab... all I can say is that little sucker will drive four twelves without a problem' date=' and the sound is pretty amazing.[/quote']

I know the 1960's a stereo cab, ever tried plugging TWO VJR heads into it too see how the difference in volume and tone is?

Also, could be a pretty cool stereo rig.

I've been watching this hurricanewannabe for days. I don't think it's quite sure where it wants to go yet. Could hit any one of us head on, or just sit and spin up, or crawl back and forth hammering us like a rat looking for a way in. I remember some of those. Man, I hate these wishy washy kinds of storms.

Oh yeah, meanwhile, back on topic... I've got a Nano, but it can't keep up with a VJr. No way, no how! But the VJr's perfect for my converted 2-car garage. Actually, three of 'em in a wet/dry setup is even more perfect and about as loud as my 18watt cranked up. Sometimes I'll get a 50 or 100 watter passing through for a bias job, and I really enjoy getting to crank those all the way up just to feel my pants flappin' in the breeze. Hey, I gotta check for crossover distortion, right? But mostly I just enjoy tormenting the geezers in the big 6-story condo some @$$#%!e built right next door to my house. >:)

Gil...

It's been 25+ years since I got to CRANK UP a 100-watt Marshall Super Lead. I'll never forget it. I have an old Roland 60-watter from the 80's but SS just ain't the same as an old Marshall TUBER on 10! It sounded like a whole orchestra and I just hit an open E... :)

I tormented everyone and the Cops came on a regular basis... we all got to know each other by first names!

There's a Vintage/Modern 50w that's been sitting on my dining table all weekend just waiting for a quad of KT66's to come in. Maybe tomorrow. Can't wait to fire that puppy up. The amazing thing is that I can actually play like crap and still get paid to crank 'em! But some of the local guys dropping by are really good, you know, so there's always that perk. Gotta love this this job! =D>

Gil...

Archived