Gibson Brands Forums

NEWBIE NEED ADVICE FROM GRAND MASTERS... les paul custom or standard plus, china or korea???

elleon ricardo

hi.. im new with this product and i need assist or more info about what im looking for

im a les paul fan but GIBSON JUST WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! so i chose epi instead... i found epi les paul custom alphine white and she's deadly gorgeous, made from KOREA! that's the good news and the bad news is she got rust in her "SO CALLED" gold hardware! and i think is because the weather ( i live in tropical country, that's gotta be something ) and also the reseller isnt quite good take caring the product..

in the same store, i also found epiphone les paul standard plus MADE in china with no rust in the hardware

i want to buy an epi but with that conditions, i must say, its hard to me to choose, is there anyone could help me with it? and im little bit considering to buy ultra II ( made in korea ) but sadly her sound not that good ( or it just me )

thank you so much for your help

An Ultra II does not sound like a typical LP, which is why I have one, but it's not for everyone.

Most guitars* use a crappy fake brass finish and it will tarnish quickly. I know you want to buy a new guitar that's perfect, but it will tarnish soon anyway.

*Some high end unaffordable guitars may not tarnish that quickly.

hi.. im new with this product and i need assist or more info about what im looking for

im a les paul fan but GIBSON JUST WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! so i chose epi instead... i found epi les paul custom alphine white and she's deadly gorgeous' date=' made from KOREA! that's the good news and the bad news is she got rust in her "SO CALLED" gold hardware! and i think is because the weather ( i live in tropical country, that's gotta be something ) and also the reseller isnt quite good take caring the product..

in the same store, i also found epiphone les paul standard plus MADE in china with no rust in the hardware

i want to buy an epi but with that conditions, i must say, its hard to me to choose, is there anyone could help me with it? and im little bit considering to buy ultra II ( made in korea ) but sadly her sound not that good ( or it just me )

thank you so much for your help[/quote']

hmm, another people from my country....

hei, how much is the price for custom and how much for standard?

and how about the ultra II, is it new/2nd?

maybe I also want to buy one of those three 8-[ , hehe...

Sadly, I've never seen a guitar with 'gold hardware' where the gold didn't start coming off damn near immediately. I don't care if it's Gibson, Epi, PRS, or anybody else. It just happens.

Also, it's getting pretty hard to find a Korean-made Epi anymore but I wouldn't be afraid of the Chinese-made LPs, either. I've got one of each & they are both quite good.

If you can come up with a few hundred more, consider the Epi Elitists. Pretty much the same quality as the Gibson but for about half the price. Outstanding guitars.

I have A LOT of experience with epiphones... I have bought low quality guitars (ebay) from both Korea and China... and I have bought some nice ones from both countries....

The only exceptions would be my Epi riviera and ES-295.... Both are made in Korea and they have the quaility of a Japanese or American instrument (after replacing the pickups of course)....

The Les pauls and dots are said to be more of a crap shoot.... But if you have a chance to inspect and play one that you like.... By all means buy it....

Sadly' date=' I've never seen a guitar with 'gold hardware' where the gold didn't start coming off damn near immediately. I don't care if it's Gibson, Epi, PRS, or anybody else. It just happens.

quote']

Well Gibson did use real gold in the 60s, on their Johnny Smith L5 and other top of the

line archtops. Of course gold back in those days was pegged at $35 an ounce. With gold

these days at around $800 a troy ounce, I doubt if we will ever see real gold used

again.

The "gold" they use these days is basically a type of very thin brass plate that wears off and

tarnishes. If real 18K gold was used, it wouldn't tarnish and would stay on a lot longer.

My Korean made Epi Custom has the cheap "gold" finish which is tarnished along

with most of the screws. Better off with chrome, at least that's a few microns thick.

Salt air/sweat and gold hardware...not a good combination..switch to chrome where

possible..like tuners, p_ups, bridges and stop pieces..what does that leave that's still

gold...the strap buttons.

[ If you can come up with a few hundred more, consider the Epi Elitists. Pretty much the same quality as the Gibson but for about half the price. Outstanding guitars. ]

i already search that guitar but they really hard to find *sad ~ did anyone know where to buy it..? i dont go with ebay or any buying online ( got really bad memories with it )

about the "gold hardware" issue so you saying i better go with epiphone les paul standard plus? what the different with those 2 ( LP CUSTOM AND LP STANDARD PLUS ).. i checked and it just different in the hardware material and finishing colors

[ If you can come up with a few hundred more' date= consider the Epi Elitists. Pretty much the same quality as the Gibson but for about half the price. Outstanding guitars. ]

i already search that guitar but they really hard to find *sad ~ did anyone know where to buy it..? i dont go with ebay or any buying online ( got really bad memories with it )

about the "gold hardware" issue so you saying i better go with epiphone les paul standard plus? what the different with those 2 ( LP CUSTOM AND LP STANDARD PLUS ).. i checked and it just different in the hardware material and finishing colors

hei, maybe a week before, I found some people selling the Elitist.

Ponki from Jikustik sell a LP Custom for 8000k rupiah. other people sell LP Standard for 7200k. and another people sell another LP Standard, I forgot the price. if I had the money I would be take one of those guitar.

I don't know whether they're already sold out or not, check this out

http://musisi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230

you also can find some people selling 2nd hand Epi China/Indonesia/Korea from 2000k until 3500k rupiah.

The gold hardware on my '92 Gibson LP studio looks as good as the day it was made. After a year of playing my EE Epi LP custom, the gold hardware is not showing any signs of corrosion. There may be a skin PH factor or a salt contamination issue here.

Wipe them suckers down after playing!

The gold hardware on my '92 Gibson LP studio looks as good as the day it was made. After a year of playing my EE Epi LP custom' date=' the gold hardware is not showing any signs of corrosion. There may be a skin PH factor or a salt contamination issue here.

[/quote']

I have a Schaller bridge on which was my no.1 guitar for almost 20 years. It shows relatively little wear. And I never wiped off unless some ƒ-hole spillt a beer over it...

A couple of months ago I bought a new guitar with a 'gold' wilkinson roller bridge. The gold was wearing off in a matter of days!

Different gold-plating methods I guess.

IA couple of months ago I bought a new guitar with a 'gold' wilkinson roller bridge. The gold was wearing off in a matter of days!

Different gold-plating methods I guess.

The stuff coming out of Asia today is a "faux gold" flash. A couple of molecules thick of

whatever they use as"gold' vaporized over the chrome plate to give it a gold appearance.

Don't polish it too hard or touch it with sweaty hands, because it starts to rub off in a matter of days.

At $800 an ounce these days, they now have gold substitutes (copper/brass alloys) that can be colour corrected

to look somewhat like gold..but this alloy is not going to be even 10karat (41.7% gold and 58 % other metals)

Gold hardware allways looks nice when you first buy the guitar though.

i agree with carverman that epiphone might be not using real gold for their hardware since i saw lot's of epiphone product in most of the store (that using faux gold) seem to be easily get corrosion..

is there anything to get rid of it ( the corrotion ) ?????

and about pongky or whatever his name is..i love his guitar collection, especially when he are epiphone endorsmen

i saw his guitar but still dont want to buy it, honestly guys, i just want the new one

but thanks anyway [-X

Frankly, I'd be more worried about why there's "rust" there?! Might be,

as you say "humidity" related, then again it could have had something spilled

on/in it, and there might be more trouble than you'd first realize. Play them

both, for an extended period of time, in the store...try out all the pickup positions,

the pots (for noise issues), turners, etc. I'd even go so far as to ask the store

manager, if you get that far, to open the back plates, and check for water damage.

The safest thing to do, would be to avoid that particular guitar, but...if you "love" it,

in all other regards, and they'll let you really inspect it, and all is well...go for it! The

new Standard without the "rust," seems a bit safer bet, though.

CB

i have a std plus from korea and a custom from (i dont know)...but the standard had a tuning key screw put in a spot that made the ket just barely cleared the headstock...i had to remove it fill the hole with a round toothpick and glue then redrill the hole over some...so i guess i am saying,,,korea or china didnt make much diff for me...get the one that feels the best in your hands..and sounds the best in your ears,,,besides,,you can always replace hardware later...my custom has a bone nut and all gibson electronics and pickups(490/498) and it is just awesome...the standard i put a bone nut in it and filed the string slots lower to about 15-18 thousanths clearance between the strings and the first fret..wow..plays so nice now....maybe later do the gibson pickup/electronics change to it also..

.but again get what you like,,if it feels good to you ,you will be happier playing it..play more get better quicker etc etc....rust could be from salt from body sweat or just never waxed ..like you said looks like it was never taken care of if polishing doesnt remove it ..replace it..

Archived