Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Woko

Epiphone vs Gibson

Hello folks as I have said in the past on this forum I love my Epiphone 335 I have not played any other of my guitars since I bought the thing 3 weeks ago. Today I found for sale 1x1988 Gibson es335dot I have spent the last 4 hours playing the two guitar. (not at the same time) I think the Fenders days are numbered.

please see avatar for new 335 yes I know it's a horrible colour.

Congratulations, on your new (to you) Gibby "Dot!" Glad you're enjoying it.

Classic guitars, for sure. I won't bother with any "comparisons" as it's been

done to death. But, enjoy your guitar!

CB

Well.......I own 4 Gibsons-a les paul studio plus,a firebrid,an SG and a spirt 2. I also own 4 Epiphones- a les paul std, a sheraton,an SG custom and a 58 V. And I'm here to tell ya I play and enjoy playing my epis more then I do the Gibsons. Now this doesn't mean the epis are better built, there not, but it is what it is, I like the epis better. Sorry to add gas to the dead horse bonfire but I've been thinking about this for a while and had to say my piece. Stan.

it is what it is' date=' I like the epis better. Sorry to add gas to the dead horse bonfire but I've been thinking about this for a while and had to say my piece. Stan.[/quote']

Kewl. One thing's for sure, that has to be an honest opinion. Fair enough.

Hello folks as I have said in the past on this forum I love my Epiphone 335 I have not played any other of my guitars since I bought the thing 3 weeks ago. Today I found for sale 1x1988 Gibson es335dot I have spent the last 4 hours playing the two guitar. (not at the same time) I think the Fenders days are numbered.

please see avatar for new 335 yes I know it's a horrible colour.

Hey, I like the tobacco burst colour...

Hey' date=' I like the tobacco burst colour...[/quote']

Same here. My 1984 Washburn HB-35 is a tobacco sunburst. I don't know why that finish gets a bum rap.

Oh Gawd! Not again!..the thread title.

Will someone post the cartoon "kicking the dead horse" before it goes too much further?

I swear to gawd this is the end, I can't believe we have ANOTHER thread with the same freakin title.

I give up.

Same here. My 1984 Washburn HB-35 is a tobacco sunburst. I don't know why that finish gets a bum rap.

Probably just a result of all the anti-tobacco legislation over the last couple of decades.

I swear to gawd this is the end' date=' I can't believe we have ANOTHER thread with the same freakin title.

I give up.[/quote']

Don't give up! This has been a sane and reasonable chat so far, despite the title of the thread.

Epiphones are easier to play, without worrying.

Bulletproof poly finish, don't have to worry about knocking it around...

Gibsons are hit and miss, I played a custom shop gibson les paul(weight relieved, first relieved paul I played), long neck tennon, can't remember the model but the pups were '57 classics. It was a dream to play, yes. Later I played a epiphone les paul ultra. I'd rank them at the same level, probably. Guess I have cheap taste. But an epi G-400 sure as hell plays better than a gibson faded SG special, as far as I've tried.

Thing is, some epis are so far below gibson price (like the dot, seeing as gibson's first 335 is 2000 bucks), it doesn't make sense to go gibson.

But some gibson models, epi doesn't have, and are within reach(Like the BFG les paul, melody makers).

Sorry about the title folks but remember I am only new to this sort of thing.

Anyway the colour is stating to grow on me now.

One of the things that is real easy to see when comparing Epis to Gibs is the quality of the rosewood used for the fretboards. It's very obvious that Epi uses a much cheaper grade than Gibson. Some things are hard to see with the naked eye but not that. Compare the fretboards of just about any Gibson to any Epi & you'll see what I mean.

Theres no question Gibson is a better built guitar, and I am a Gibson man at heart. But the fact remains I really like my Epis. Maybe I'm a cheap so and so, and like a bargain, which is true, but I really, really like my Epis. Now, I also have a 2000 Dean caddy, korean built, that I like alot, so maybe I have a korean guitar fetish. Won't be the first fetish I have, is that TMI? Sorry. Stan.

Gibson is overpriced IMO.

I know that wood quality for G. is superior to E. but unless we are playing acoustic, the electrification aspect is going to trump any aging bennies superior wood will bring to the tone; high quality PU's and a good amp effect tone for an electric much more I think. I did a taste test of my Sheraton w/ my buddy's '60 Gibson ES Dot, a 10,000.00 axe. We played them through the same amp, and I tell you my friend was a little ticced that my Sheraton had balls just as big. I have about 1000.00 sunk into the Sherri, including initial purchase and case, and well, it also LOOKS way nicer than that dot, despite it's historic wood and high value. 10,000.00 vs 1000.00 Ego tied up in sound rather than logos....it's a no brainer that Epi's are a better value over all, if you are not somebody who is thinking of eventually selling, which I generally don't. Of course Gib resell value is better. I want more guitars, not less and to cannibalize any of the herd is unthinkable these days...if I had all the axes I used to, I couldn't be happier...well, except all the damn Strats! I don't care for them any more. If it's Fender, it's gotta be a Tele, and really there, I prefer G&L.

A name is a name is a name. I love my 3 Gibsons dearly, but I love my Sheraton as much, and even if my Wildkat (coming monday) needs investment to bring it up to par, it will still be a bargain, and it will be able to stand up well to any comparison. I really plan for that to be my main axe, over a Gib Les Paul Classic, Gib SG Classic (rocks!!), Gib L6s and a Fender Tele and G&L ASAT and my Sheraton ....my least expensive guitar is a Jay Turser Jazzbox, that really gets played more than any of them, 'cos I can plunk acoustic anywhere, and it's one HELL of an axe. Neck is very close to the Les Paul neck...in between that and my Sherri...plays so smooth...all wood mahogony...decent mini bucker...it might get a bone nut and tuning head upgrade too, but still! Those "cheap" guitars can really be a great value is what I'm saying, and be every bit as satisfying to play as an expensive axe. Especially with a bit more investment. You still save money big time.