Gibson Brands Forums

Stock Pickups on the Epiphone Lucille

JefferySmith

At some point, I'll probably cave in and get a Lucille. Do the stock pickups on the Lucille differ from factory to factory? One of my concerns regarding all of the Asian factories making the Epis is that the electronics may be different from factory to factory. I do admit a bit of bias against the Chinese-made pickups (the ones on my Ibanez were not great...I eventually donated the guitar to my church).

The Lucilles I have seen are coming from the U and I plants. If you can find an I plant one I would get that. I had a U plant one and the wiring was a mess. The bridge PU kept cutting out and SA would do nothing since I did not buy the extended warranty, so I gave them back the guitar.

I have several I plant guitars and they seem almost as nice as the Peerless stuff. The stock Epiphone stuff I still like Peerless Plant the best.

I recently bought a new Lucille (serial I06070069) from the Saein plant in Korea.

The stock pickup's are better then those on the (old) Epihone Les Pauls and Sheraton II's.

Did have 2 LP's upgraded with Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio PU's.

Never changed the pup's on the Sheratons, no backplate, not easy to change them.

I'm very impressed with the sound of the stock pickup's so no upgrading required.

The electronics also work fine for now, with the small asian alfa pots.

A very nice guiter indeed.

Peter

Sorry I forgot to mention the tone. I have had several stock and several sig 335s. With the exception of the Supernova which seems like a fancy dot, the sig guitars seem to get better PUs.

I was happy with the tone of the Lucille and would not have changed the PUs. I am also happy with my Jorma and will prob. never upgrade the PUs.

I don't know what version of the HBs they are using in these guitars but they are not the same stock HBs that the Dots come with. Very close in tone to a Gibson 57.

The reason the Lucille (and the Dot and the Sheraton for that matter) sounds 'better' than the Les Pauls etc. is that they don't install that putrid 'Hot' Classic Alnico pickup in the bridge (treble) position. Instead they just use another regular Alnico Classic which has better tone.

The Chinese Epi pickups aren't that much worse or better than the Korean ones. Ibanez pickup quality varies with the guitars; their low-end stuff has crappy pickups but the higher end guitars are better.

The reason the Lucille (and the Dot and the Sheraton for that matter) sounds 'better' than the Les Pauls etc. is that they don't install that putrid 'Hot' Classic Alnico pickup in the bridge (treble) position. Instead they just use another regular Alnico Classic which has better tone.

The Chinese Epi pickups aren't that much worse or better than the Korean ones. Ibanez pickup quality varies with the guitars; their low-end stuff has crappy pickups but the higher end guitars are better.

Lucille GAS.....must control wallet..........

Thanks. I knew there was a difference between them. I had a MIK Dot in natural though that I had at the same time I bought the Jorma and the Dot did not sound as good. Playing the Jorma was like removing a blanket from over the amp. I sold off the Dot.

The Lucille the month I had it seem a bit hotter than the Jorma but darker in tone. My Supernova though sounds kind of dull though like my Dot not in the same league as the Jorma or Lucille.

Archived