Gibson Brands Forums

Not a good cure for Lucille GAS - BB King DVD

JefferySmith

519mHB6q39L._SS500_.jpg

I picked this up this week. Although it appears to be an instructional video, what I have seen of it so far is more of a conversation with BB King (and Lucille) regarding his blues playing style. Fortunately, the guy asking the questions asks better questions than I would.

King comes off as affable, kind, self-effacing, and well spoken. Not a hint of arrogance. It's a nice DVD to watch on a rainy Saturday afternoon (that would be every Saturday afternoon down here). But it is giving me Lucille GAS badly.

Ah, Good Old BB! "Lucille" is a GREAT guitar! Gibby or Epi! I have a Gibson,

but have played quite a few Epi's, too. NICE! I bought my Gibby, when it

was way less, than a 335, if you can believe that?! Wondered then, WHY?...

it was several hundred dollars cheaper. Seems, they've wised up, and raised

the price, accordingly. So, it's not only a Great guitar, but turned out to be a

decent investment, too. I won't complain, but that wasn't why I bought it.

Be prepared, though, Jeff...the neck is a lot "beefier" than your Sherry!

Totally playable, even comfortable, but different.

CB

Ah' date=' Good Old BB! "Lucille" is a GREAT guitar! Gibby or Epi! I have a Gibson,

but have played quite a few Epi's, too. NICE! I bought my Gibby, when it

was way less, than a 335, if you can believe that?! Wondered then, WHY?...

it was several hundred dollars cheaper. Seems, they've wised up, and raised

the price, accordingly. So, it's not only a Great guitar, but turned out to be a

decent investment, too. I won't complain, but that wasn't why I bought it.

Be prepared, though, Jeff...the neck is a lot "beefier" than your Sherry!

Totally playable, even comfortable, but different.

CB[/quote']

It's more like a 50's neck? I don't mind wide, but I don't really like thick (as in baseball bat). BB has fat hands, so I was hoping he preferred a thinner neck. But he was about 40 years old by the time they came out with 60's neck profiles.

Another tidbit from the DVD was that he uses light strings for EBG, but then uses very heavy strings for DEA. If you watch the degree to which he bends the EBG strings, they have to be light!

By the way, I looked at a black Sheraton on the Sweetwater site. Maybe that or a Black Dot would be my "best" Lucille.

Well, is the Epi "Lucille" neck fatter than a "Dot?" Fatter than a Sherry, for sure...

But, I haven't played a "Dot" in so long, maybe the newer ones have thinner necks?

I like the Epi "Lucille" though...quite a lot! It doesn't take long, really, to get used to

the beefier neck. I know a lot of people prefer the '60's necks, but on some guitars,

I like a bit beefier neck. It's strange, really...before getting on these guitar forums,

I didn't really think much, about neck size. That is, it never deterred me, from buying

a guitar I liked/wanted. I just made do, and got used to it. But then, most of my

formative guitar playing years, were in the mid '60's, where there wasn't nearly the choices,

we have now, and I got used to "making do," you know? LOL!

CB

Archived