Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wondo

Les Paul Axcess

Does anyone know what happened to the Les Paul Axcess? Perhaps Admin can tell us. It was up on the Custom Shop website briefly after NAMM. I was ready to order one and it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Any light to shed on this one??

still trying to navigate some internal logistics on this one' date=' but we hope to have it out soon...[/quote']

Man, you made my day! That is great. Is there any specs you might share? Will we have the option of a slim neck? Long tenon? Pickups?

Thanks again!

the necks are like a Gibson USA Standard...not slim taper' date=' but not as fat as a reissue either. they have the LNT.[/quote']

I assume you are referring to the Gibson USA Standard before they starting designating either 60s or 50s neck. The USA Standard still has either option as far as I know. The Axcess neck would be more like a Standard from the 80s and 90s with the "C" rounded neck profile? Would that be a correct assessment?

yes' date=' like an '80s standard.[/quote']

Great Admin that answers my questions. I have come to love the 60s slim taper, but have played and owned several Standards from the 80s and 90s and those were comfortable necks.

Admin,

Here's my couple of questions:

Which pickups will be on the Axcess models?

Are the bodies soild or weight relieved?

Thanks.

Admin' date='

Here's my couple of questions:

Which pickups will be on the Axcess models?

Are the bodies soild or weight relieved?

Thanks.[/quote']

bodies are weight relieved, pickups are BurstBucker 1 and 2.

bodies are weight relieved' date=' pickups are BurstBucker 1 and 2.[/quote']

I don't understand that. Is it neck thru body like the Schons'? Is there any differnece in the trussrod configuration? Will it use an original floyd rose or licensed?

You guys should stick a sustainer in there while your at it. I hate to say it...but maybe it would be a better idea to stick pickups in it that work better with the chambered body. Seems like (to me) burstbuckers are pretty harsh and lack harmonics.

It will be a USA model, not CS? Any idea of MSRP?

Admin,

I understood by your statement of weight relief to mean weight relief holes, not chambering would that be correct for this guitar?

YES' date=' WEIGHT RELIEF HOLES IS CORRECT.[/quote']

You know, I hate to say it, but you guys asked for all this

confusion...weight relieved this- chambered that. If somebody would have

just announced that Gibson was hollowing out bodies before you started

shipping them out, life would be a little easier.

I was one of the 1st chumps to end up with a LP Standard and a LP GT that

are both hollower than a pumpkin on Nov 1st. It would have been nice to

know BEFORE they were shipped to me.

Plus, you guys change specs at will, with no regard for the people that buy

the guitars. I also have two LP Standard that came with Classic green

inlays...nice- and ugly-! When I sent a e-mail to customer service, I got

'tough luck' as a reply. Somebody at Gibson also told me that the old white

ones are toxic! I think your corporate squad is more about manufacturing

stories and excuses rather than working with wood. Regardless, once you

publish spec's..try sticking with them!

Regardless, it will be nice to see something like the LP Axcess, if, how and

when it ever comes together. I applaud the effort, even if it is

twenty-five years too late! I'd probably be interested in buying one or two

if it actually makes it to market (for a reasonable price).......

The Axcess IMO is more closely tied to Alex Lifeson, not Neal Schon. Although similar to the Schon model, the Axcess seems more like a traditional LP with a carved-down neck heel and a Floyd option. Schon's had vastly different electronics and cosmetics? Lifeson has been playing what I gather are early prototypes of the Axcess for well over a year now on the Current Rush tour, and he has never sounded better IMO.

Admin, can you shed any light on how Alex came into possesion of these prototypes? Did he come to Gibson with the idea, or did Gibson already have the Axcess on the drawing board and ask Alex to test them and offer feedback on the development of production versions? It seems too timely to be a coincidense, as Alex had decided to move away from PRS and back to Gibson for the new album & tour, but needed guitars with tremolos in order to play a lot of the songs from his non-Gibson days.

The Alex Lifeson 355, BTW, is an amazing axe. I got #124 and it quickly became one of my favorite guitars that I've ever owned or played. Amazing feel and tone. Can't wait to get my hands on an Axcess!

The Axcess IMO is more closely tied to Alex Lifeson' date=' not Neal Schon. [b']Although similar to the Schon model[/b], the Axcess seems more like a traditional LP with a carved-down neck heel and a Floyd option. Schon's had vastly different electronics and cosmetics? Lifeson has been playing what I gather are early prototypes of the Axcess for well over a year now on the Current Rush tour, and he has never sounded better IMO.

I was simply eluding to what may possibly be the hold up on the Axcess coming out. Perhaps since the Schon came first, Neal may want a piece of it, design credit, etc etc...you know, those rock star negotiations LOL! Yes the electronics are different, but the meat & potatoes of the design are from Neal's sig guitar.

Somehow I get the sense it's not production problems, but rather the lawyers, as to why we're not seeing the Axcess in stores right now. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I was simply eluding to what may possibly be the hold up on the Axcess coming out. Perhaps since the Schon came first' date=' Neal may want a piece of it, design credit, etc etc...you know, those rock star negotiations LOL! Yes the electronics are different, but the meat & potatoes of the design are from Neal's sig guitar.

Somehow I get the sense it's not production problems, but rather the lawyers, as to why we're not seeing the Axcess in stores right now. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.[/quote']Well, I'm sure it could be any of the above or none of the above that holds up releasing a new guitar. From Admin's last comments it would appear than neither Neal Schon nor Alex Lifeson have anything to do with holding up the Axcess. That said, I imagine it can't be easy to coordinate everything else that must be in place to release a new instrument to the public. "Internal Logistics" I believe Admin called it LOL! Whether it's lawyers, production issues, distribution negotiations, finish selections or whatever else that maybe could have been resolved more quickly or not, I doubt we the deprived public will ever really know why the long delay since the NAMM display models, and like it or not we just have to suffer through the painfully long wait to get our hands on these babies. This is reminiscent of the delays on the Alex Lifeson model. The string on the Alex Lifeson 355 was brutal, everybody was very impatient for the guitar to be released, especially since many folks (me included) had already paid for them months before! But when the guitar finally came out it was an absolute gem, at least mine is, and all was forgiven. I just hope Gibson gets the Axcess out before I get old(er) and develop arthritis and can't play the damn thing anymore! If it plays as well as it looks the Axcess and my new AL 355 will likely be my favorite guitars ever.

Hi Admin, been quiet for a while now on this subject, have the "internal logistics" been resolved on the Axcess yet and is there any new news on release date? Also, can you tell us which versions & finishes are now set to be released first? Initial announcements were for a standard & a custom version, with the custom in either ebony or silverburst & the stndrd in iced-tea only, but I saw Alex Lifeosn playing an ebony stndrd model at a recent Rush concert so wondering if additional finishes have been added?

BTW if anyone catches this weeks Colbert Report from 7/16 on Comedy Central, Rush is the musical guest and there are some excellent closeups of Alex playing Tom Sawyer on his iced-tea Axcess standard prototype. Holy Cow what a gorgeous instrument, can't wait to actually play one. This, BTW, was Rush's first TV appearance in 30 years!

Thanks!