Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Axcess

Wondo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I agree with all the positive comments - I picked up my Iced Tea Axcess w. Floyd last week and am loving it. Plays just beautifully, feels and sounds as good or better than any LP I've ever owned or played (and I've let a dozen or so slip through my fingers over nearly 30 years of playing!). And it's gorgeous to boot - I really love the finish, front and back. It's probably the nicest looking LP I've ever had.

One issue - the Burstbucker pups are NOISY when played clean! I've tried lowering them as much as possible, and also lowering the pole pieces, but the background static-like hum is a near constant. I find myself hand-muting the strings I'm not playing nearly all the time in order to combat the buzz. the only other option is to turn to tone controls way down - set at 4 or lower and things quiet down.

Anyone have similar experience and/or suggestions? A pickup swap is certainly possible, but (a) a bit more complicated than I'm used to with the coil tap and (;) I otherwise really dig the sound of these pups in this guitar.

Thanks!

I agree with all the positive comments - I picked up my Iced Tea Axcess w. Floyd last week and am loving it. Plays just beautifully' date=' feels and sounds as good or better than any LP I've ever owned or played (and I've let a dozen or so slip through my fingers over nearly 30 years of playing!). And it's gorgeous to boot - I really love the finish, front and back. It's probably the nicest looking LP I've ever had.

One issue - the Burstbucker pups are NOISY when played clean! I've tried lowering them as much as possible, and also lowering the pole pieces, but the background static-like hum is a near constant. I find myself hand-muting the strings I'm not playing nearly all the time in order to combat the buzz. the only other option is to turn to tone controls way down - set at 4 or lower and things quiet down.

Anyone have similar experience and/or suggestions? A pickup swap is certainly possible, but (a) a bit more complicated than I'm used to with the coil tap and (B) I otherwise really dig the sound of these pups in this guitar.

Thanks![/quote']That is odd, when I play in a clean channel both my Axcess are as quiet as can be on either pickup and in both humbucking and single-coil modes, no hum at all in a clean amp channel. The single-coils are more noisy in a dirty setup but that is to be expected. Sounds like you have either an internal ground problem or an external interference problem, what electrical components/appliances are nearby your rig? Things like tv, cell phones and computers can cause interference if they are too close, so can flourecsent lighting or bad grounding in your home's electrical wiring. What kind of rig are you playing through? Have you tried plugging in to a different amp (with no effects) to see if you have the same problem? If it happens on different amps with no effects in the chain then that would probably indicate a problem with the guitar's circuitry and you could take the guitar to a qualified tech and have them test for any issues.

Hey Staxman - thanks for your reply. I'm going to take the guitar out to a local shop today to run it through some other amps and see if I have the same issues. I've also got a Sadowsky Strat with Lace Sensor pups that I installed myself, and that guitar is near dead silent when played through the same amp. The amp is a Fender '65 Reverb Deluxe Reissue and has been trouble free for the last 3 years (just changed the tubes out a few weeks ago and it sounds better than ever). The Axcess is noisy played straight through the amp, as well as through an effects chain, and I've also tried a few different cables.

There are, however, quite a few other potential culprits in my home studio, including flourescent lights AND a computer setup, all in close proximity in the same room. I've had this issue before with other instruments, notably aFender Marcus Miller J-Bass with single-coils - the buzz was bad enough for me to return the instrument. But I've also had several other L.P.s and my recollection is that they were pretty darn quiet - nothing like what I'm experiencing with the Axcess.

If I had to put some money on it, I think you may be right - there may be a problem with the guitar's circuitry. I will investigate further, but I think the dispositive factor will be if the guitar makes the same noise through other amps outside of my home studio. Thanks again!

To be continued ....

• 2 weeks later...

why months ago i saw on ebay.us some LPs Axcess with green and red flame maple top but gibso,in his site, puts only the grey and the iced tea?? they were originals by serial #,certificates ecc...

why months ago i saw on ebay.us some LPs Axcess with green and red flame maple top but gibso' date='in his site, puts only the grey and the iced tea?? they were originals by serial #,certificates ecc...[/quote']

As a custom order, you can get an Axcess in just about any color you want - I have seen the green and red, as well as a few variants in sparkle finishes. My buddy Differentstrings89 has one of the coolest I've seen - the very rare ebony Custom. I have one in Ice Tea (LOVE it!), and I'm hoping Gibby eventually makes an Alex Lifeson Signature Axcess, with the abalone inlays, covered pickups, thicker body and highly flamed top.

As a custom order' date=' you can get an Axcess in just about any color you want - I have seen the green and red, as well as a few variants in sparkle finishes. My buddy Differentstrings89 has one of the coolest I've seen - the very rare ebony Custom. I have one in Ice Tea (LOVE it!), and I'm hoping Gibby eventually makes an Alex Lifeson Signature Axcess, with the abalone inlays, covered pickups, thicker body and highly flamed top.[/quote']

those are the picks from an ebay announce ( months ago)

immagine15.png

immagine13.png

immagine16.png

how much does it cost a custom finish order??

PS: can you make a video with you Axcess and post some picks?? i'm curious about his sound and look XD

It really depends on what you want on it, when I got my Les Paul Custom Axcess from Wildwood Guitars I was told a woman there wanted to order one exactly like it from gibson and it would be 5000 to 7000 dollars but the price really depends on what kind of appointments you want on it. I would say for a green or red probably around 5000 dollars.

It really depends on what you want on it' date=' when I got my Les Paul Custom Axcess from Wildwood Guitars I was told a woman there wanted to order one exactly like it from gibson and it would be 5000 to 7000 dollars but the price really depends on what kind of appointments you want on it. I would say for a green or red probably around 5000 dollars. [/quote']

why a custom finish costs so much?

• 1 month later...

Not happy with the relatively low output and noisy burstbuckers 1 & 2, plus the fact that the bridge bucker was not trem spaced I installed a Seymour Duncan Full Shred SH-10 in the neck and a TB-10 in the bridge... awesome. Don't let the pickup name fool you, these are moderate output alnico 5 buckers and they rock. I would also recommend a burstbucker pro set, but again there is no trem spaced bridge bucker.

Also, installed a big block and tremolo stopper from www.floydupgrades.com... WOW, what a difference!

• 10 months later...

Question for the admin or anyone who happens to know: apparently Axcess guitars now come with 496R and 498T pickups, but used to come with BurstBucker pickups. Can anyone (Admin?) tell me when the change was made? For example, is there a serial number that every guitar before CSXXXXXX is BurstBucker, and every guitar after that number is 496 and 498?

If there is another obvious way to tell which pickup is on the guitar that would be fine too. I really want to get one with the 496 and 498, but I think there are a lot of the BurstBucker versions out there, including possibly new ones in stores. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Archived