Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Axcess

Wondo

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rat1well & Differentstrings89, I finally had a chance last night to give her a good workout, and all I can say is what a machine! Two hours of playing while sitting & no sore ribs. The range of available clean tones continues to amaze me, and you still have all of the grit & grind of a traditional LP as well. And the Floyd Rose is trem heaven - it is so responsive and stable. Get out & play one asap - you will be happy you did.

SO.. i just got back from playing the gibson axcess at the local walmart (guitar center)' date=' and i am kind of disappointed, and had some problems with it. One being that the floyd rose is REAL STIFF, does anyone else have this problem? it just is way to hard to pull down on the thing compaired to the floyd rose on my kramer 1984 EVH which is super easy.. i dont know if it was the springs or what.. also the guitars cavity for the floyd rose just barely fits it so it sort or touchs the side of the body when using it which will end up scraping the side of the floyd cavity.. the cavity routing for the floyd rose is also very shallow so you cant pull back like you could on a normal floyd.. it would have been better to either make the cavity deeper, or just not have a cavity and let the floyd rose float over the body.. it just doesnt feel how i thought it would..[/quote']I put 9's on both my Axcess and loosened the spring tension on the Floyd, makes a big difference and I can whammy away Van Halen tunes no problem on both of them. The cavities on both are tight, but not restricting, in fact I'd say they were masterfully designed to be just the right size without wasting any tonewood. I wonder if the one you played was a little off on the Floyd install? As for pulling back, I agree there's not a lot of travel there, but plenty for me as I don't ever pull back any farther than a half or full step, if ever. I would try a different Axcees before writing them off, and remember you can always loosten the spring tension, remove a spring or use lighter strings to adjust the feel. Both mine felt very stiff out of the box but are just awesome after a little setup. I've played lots of Floyd equipped guitars, and I think these are among the best.

All better now' date=' exchanged faulty Ice Tea for new one. The new top is not quite as nice, but overall the new one feels, plays and sounds a just a tad better. Lesson learned - ALWAYS give a new axe a thorough test drive before taking it home! Check every knob & switch, fret every note, and inspect anything else you can think of. Better it happened this way than after I became too attached to her. Now for a brief review. What a pleasure it is to have a trem on a Les Paul! You still get all of that thick LP tone, and with the trem & coil splitter you can get strat-like & tele-like sounds as well. No other Les Paul I've ever heard gets the wide range of tones that the Axcess can get. Upper fret access is unbelievable for a Paul, and one of my favorite features is the strat-style body scarf on back - no more digging into my ribs like every LP that came before it. This one is a winner - and a keeper.[/quote']Not to excuse Gibson on any quality issues, but I actually had the same problem with 2 PRS guitars I purchased in the past where electronics didn't work out of the box. Always a good idea to check everything before you bring it home, or have someone do it for you before they ship!

Anyway glad to see more folks are starting to share the Axcess experience and liking it. With the Axcess and AL-355 I am in guitar bliss...enjoying them very much.

I put 9's on both my Axcess and loosened the spring tension on the Floyd' date=' makes a big difference and I can whammy away Van Halen tunes no problem on both of them. The cavities on both are tight, but not restricting, in fact I'd say they were masterfully designed to be just the right size without wasting any tonewood. I wonder if the one you played was a little off on the Floyd install? As for pulling back, I agree there's not a lot of travel there, but plenty for me as I don't ever pull back any farther than a half or full step, if ever. I would try a different Axcees before writing them off, and remember you can always loosten the spring tension, remove a spring or use lighter strings to adjust the feel. Both mine felt very stiff out of the box but are just awesome after a little setup. I've played lots of Floyd equipped guitars, and I think these are among the best.[/quote']

thanks man, thats what i was thinking (about removing some springs), but when you remove a spring or loosen the tension of the claw then the floyd will raise way up from the body, the one i played was perfectly leveled, its just the bar was real stiff, i really do want one! im 17 and have been teaching guitar lessons, and just got up to $4500 saved, but i dont know if i want to spend it, im thinking of keeping it to help my parents pay for berklee college of music... but i really want this les paul, i already have a 1958 custom shop from 2004, and its amazing! i was just hopeing that when i tried the axcess at guitar center i wouldnt like it so i would dwell on buying it! haha!

i have a EVH D-tuna on my kramer' date=' and the way it sticks out, it would hit the body of the les paul, so i dont think it would work.. the routing for the floyd is real shallow and not that big..[/quote']D-Tuna will only work on a Floyd that sits flat on body (or has a blocking unit) and doesn't pull back IIRC? Otherwise the lower string tension of the E string dropped to D would throw the whole guitar out of tune, right? You could just use a blocker to lock the Floyd from pulling back and then a D-Tuna should work, but then you don't get the full floater.

thanks man' date=' thats what i was thinking (about removing some springs), but when you remove a spring or loosen the tension of the claw then the floyd will raise way up from the body, the one i played was perfectly leveled, its just the bar was real stiff, i really do want one! im 17 and have been teaching guitar lessons, and just got up to $4500 saved, but i dont know if i want to spend it, im thinking of keeping it to help my parents pay for berklee college of music... but i really want this les paul, i already have a 1958 custom shop from 2004, and its amazing! i was just hopeing that when i tried the axcess at guitar center i wouldnt like it so i would dwell on buying it! haha![/quote']Honestly if I was 17 I wouldn't spend that much on a new guitar just yet, you are so young there will be tons of used Axcess on the market before too long. Go to Berkley and get your Axcess later, you'll be glad you went that route. You can play just as well on lots of less expensive guitars and you've got plenty of time to play all the guitars in the world you want. Us old farts have to get an Axcess now so we can enjoy playing them before our fingers lock up from arthritis! Man, when I was 17 (28 years ago!) Floyds were just being invented! My first Floyd guitar was a Jackson I bought for $500 when I was 24 and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever played. Just IMO, you gotta do what you gotta do!

thanks man' date=' thats what i was thinking (about removing some springs), but when you remove a spring or loosen the tension of the claw then the floyd will raise way up from the body, the one i played was perfectly leveled, its just the bar was real stiff, i really do want one! im 17 and have been teaching guitar lessons, and just got up to $4500 saved, but i dont know if i want to spend it, im thinking of keeping it to help my parents pay for berklee college of music... but i really want this les paul, i already have a 1958 custom shop from 2004, and its amazing! i was just hopeing that when i tried the axcess at guitar center i wouldnt like it so i would dwell on buying it! haha![/quote']

Dude,

When I was 17, I would not have listened to this, but trust me, at your age you will have plenty of time for good guitars. I was slated to go to Berklee and so was my cousin. He was 17 and I was 18. We both were accepted. He on drums and me on guitar. However, he was killed in a car accident that summer, and I could never bring myself to go to school without him. Because of that event, I ended up eventually becomming a psycholgist as a result of trying to figure out such a great loss. Many years later, I have still endured in my music endeavours, but at times wish I could have gone to Berklee. Guitars have come and gone but the dream remains. Don't give up your dream for a piece of wood. When you can play a guitar, any piece of wood will sound good in your hands. Most of us just come here to discuss our guitars because we like to talk about them. The proof is in what you can do with them. My advice is to wait. Gibson will probably still produce this guitar for a while because this guitar makes sense and many will want one for years to come.

Exactly! I have more guitars now then I ever dreamed of. As a psychoogist, I probably have more guitars than I would if I was primarily a full-time guitar player, and I'm loving every minute of it. My band is about to release our second CD. I don't know how far I would have gotten if music was my only source of income. Do college, then worry about the gear.

Exactly! I have more guitars now then I ever dreamed of. As a psychoogist' date=' I probably have more guitars than I would if I was primarily a full-time guitar player, and I'm loving every minute of it. My band is about to release our second CD. I don't know how far I would have gotten if music was my only source of income. Do college, then worry about the gear.[/quote']

Dear DR. Wondo ,

I bought a guitar and I suffer from OCD . I was wondering if you have heard about

the VOLUTE being in the wrong spot of this alex guys guitar copy .

This peice of wood is a chunk stuck to the back of the neck but it is a "bump" and

I cannot help but hit it with my thumb . I never played a guitar with a volute put where it

does not belong .

I have 3 questions for you .

1. Is my OCD making this bump more than it is ?

2. Should I take more Luvox instead .

3. I really had high expectations for this guitar from a Company Gibson , they usually do a

nice job when crafting instruments .

This company told me it is correct . Yet , I could get it fixed by sending it to their repair and restoration

dept . or just sell it on ebay . If they say there is noting wrong ? How come they can FIX it

if I pay for it to get fixed . Yet nothing is wrong they say to get fixed ?

Is that my OCD also ?

Thanks in advance

Dear DR. Wondo ' date='

I bought a guitar and I suffer from OCD . I was wondering if you have heard about

the VOLUTE being in the wrong spot of this alex guys guitar copy .

This peice of wood is a chunk stuck to the back of the neck but it is a "bump" and

I cannot help but hit it with my thumb . I never played a guitar with a volute put where it

does not belong .

I have 3 questions for you .

1. Is my OCD making this bump more than it is ?

2. Should I take more Luvox instead .

3. I really had high expectations for this guitar from a Company Gibson , they usually do a

nice job when crafting instruments .

This company told me it is correct . Yet , I could get it fixed by sending it to their repair and restoration

dept . or just sell it on ebay . If they say there is noting wrong ? How come they can FIX it

if I pay for it to get fixed . Yet nothing is wrong they say to get fixed ?

Is that my OCD also ?

Thanks in advance

[/quote']

Easy fix dude. White firewood will put off a wonderful glow!

If you can live with the volute, forget all about it and just play the hell out of it. If you cannot, sell it right away so you can move on to better things like the Axcess for one!

Well I have put many hours now on both the Gunmetal and Iced Tea Axcess. I just love them, more so than I did my Custom-22s I have to admit. Awesome guitars and they each have a unique tonal vibe that gives them different personality. The Gunmetal is a little punchier and tight sounding with an awesome vintage "snarl". The IT has a more open, airier tone with a sweet singing vibe. I am wondering does this perhaps have to do with the fact that one is painted and the other stained? I have never owned the exact guitar in both a painted and stained finish, and I can't play lots of Axcess to compare, so does anyone know the tonal effects/variances of paint vs. stain on the same tone woods in identical guitars?

I am glad I ended up getting one of each, as they do have different character that is equally appealing and fun to play with great tone variety.

Well I have put many hours now on both the Gunmetal and Iced Tea Axcess. I just love them' date=' more so than I did my Custom-22s I have to admit. Awesome guitars and they each have a unique tonal vibe that gives them different personality. The Gunmetal is a little punchier and tight sounding with an awesome vintage "snarl". The IT has a more open, airier tone with a sweet singing vibe. I am wondering does this perhaps have to do with the fact that one is painted and the other stained? I have never owned the exact guitar in both a painted and stained finish, and I can't play lots of Axcess to compare, so does anyone know the tonal effects/variances of paint vs. stain on the same tone woods in identical guitars?

I am glad I ended up getting one of each, as they do have different character that is equally appealing and fun to play with great tone variety.[/quote']

Staxman, I agree with your assessment, and I believe the tonal differences could be due to the maple tops and/or differing grades of mahogany used for the backs & necks. I'll bet the Gunmetal tops are not nearly as figured & therefore not as dense as the Ice Tea tops. I played several of each color before purchasing the Ice Tea, and I heard the same subtle varations between the two colors, as well as subtle differences between ones of the same finish. While its true that one is stained & the other is painted, both are (I believe) finished in six base coats with two topcoats of nitrocellulose lacquer, so it would be interesting to know what the main factor accountable for the tonal variations is.

The tonal differences could be due to a lot of things.

The Grades of mahogany, 2 pieces or 1 piece bodies,

The pickups could be +/- on the windings,

The Floyd Rose springs, (yes this does affect the tone, not alot but it does)

The capacitors could be +/- as also the potentiometers

All of this can be accountable for the differences in tone. And is what give each guitar it’s own voice and feel.

The tonal differences could be due to a lot of things.

The Grades of mahogany' date=' 2 pieces or 1 piece bodies,

The pickups could be +/- on the windings,

The Floyd Rose springs, ([i']yes this does affect the tone, not alot but it does[/i])

The capacitors could be +/- as also the potentiometers

All of this can be accountable for the differences in tone. And is what give each guitar it’s own voice and feel.

Thanks Crappy, all makes good sense

Archived