Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Axcess

Wondo

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why would i post links to and confirm specs for guitars that are fake?

no idea when or if these colors will ever be included on the website. i don't control that.

sorry, i don't remember who posted this links....

if i send you a private message with some specifics for a custom guitar, can you tell me how much is it?

i don't wanna ask a dealer because mine is only a curiosity

Well, after obsessing over the Axcess for a few weeks, I decided to go try one at a Guitar Center which was about an hour away from me. I am glad I did, because I was thinking about buying one without trying it.

My review- this guitar sucks. Maybe the guitar I played needed a setup, but for $3500 you think they might play a little better than other guitars, or might be setup at the "Custom Shop". The minute he handed it to me, it just kind of felt like a shredder guitar, not a Les Paul. I might as well get a Wolfgang or a Jackson and save myself $2000.

Anyways, I plugged it in, and started playing it. The Floyd was very stiff and felt horrible, not inspiring at all!!! The guitar felt very "cold" and just not inspiring. The string tension was very hard as well. I play 10's on my Les Paul’s with heavy bottoms (54-10), and this Axcess was very hard to play. It look a lot of energy to bend notes. The neck just didn’t feel good at all either. Just had that "cold" feeling to it.

I did like the neck joint, but I couldn’t get past any of the other issues. I wanted a Les Paul with a Floyd, but I played what felt like a shredder guitar trying to be a les paul which was trying to be a shredder guitar.

I have played Wolfgang's, Kramers, Jem's, etc over the years a lot. I recently switched over to Paul's because of the ease of string changes, etc, and because I could get some tone. I was really hoping the Axcess would be my answer, but I will continue with my Standard's and keep looking for a used Les Paul with a Kahler, or a Floyd.

I wouldn’t have paid $2000 for this guitar with the idea I could set it up.

Sorry folks, but if you haven’t played it , go play it before you buy. If the Axcess works for you, then great!!!

I did try a Traditional, and it played great!! Also, I loved the Slash Goldtop...Best playing guitar I played -- Gibson Explorer!! Go figure. I even played an R8 as well (didn’t dig either.)

Well' date=' after obsessing over the Axcess for a few weeks, I decided to go try one at a Guitar Center which was about an hour away from me. I am glad I did, because I was thinking about buying one without trying it.

My review- this guitar sucks. Maybe the guitar I played needed a setup, but for $3500 you think they might play a little better than other guitars, or might be setup at the "Custom Shop". The minute he handed it to me, it just kind of felt like a shredder guitar, not a Les Paul. I might as well get a Wolfgang or a Jackson and save myself $2000.

Anyways, I plugged it in, and started playing it. The Floyd was very stiff and felt horrible, not inspiring at all!!! The guitar felt very "cold" and just not inspiring. The string tension was very hard as well. I play 10's on my Les Paul’s with heavy bottoms (54-10), and this Axcess was very hard to play. It look a lot of energy to bend notes. The neck just didn’t feel good at all either. Just had that "cold" feeling to it.

I did like the neck joint, but I couldn’t get past any of the other issues. I wanted a Les Paul with a Floyd, but I played what felt like a shredder guitar trying to be a les paul which was trying to be a shredder guitar.

I have played Wolfgang's, Kramers, Jem's, etc over the years a lot. I recently switched over to Paul's because of the ease of string changes, etc, and because I could get some tone. I was really hoping the Axcess would be my answer, but I will continue with my Standard's and keep looking for a used Les Paul with a Kahler, or a Floyd.

I wouldn’t have paid $2000 for this guitar with the idea I could set it up.

Sorry folks, but if you haven’t played it , go play it before you buy. If the Axcess works for you, then great!!!

I did try a Traditional, and it played great!! Also, I loved the Slash Goldtop...Best playing guitar I played -- Gibson Explorer!! Go figure. I even played an R8 as well (didn’t dig either.)

[/quote']

I thought I would be glad to see the new colours , and they are awesome looking compared to that

gaWd Awefull Grey or the Light Yucky Yellow . The red and green blow the looks away .

Yet I must say , I agree 100% with money for nothing . From the second it was handed to me ,

I asked to see the other one , it was the same " feeling " , really thin , if you hollow out a les paul

more than a chambered , thats what you get I guess . I plugged in the second one , and of course

it sounded as I expected , thin to thin to hollow . Es-355 has alot better tone than this axcess .

I played it for less than 3 minutes , I am sure with my road king I could get alot better sound , but

you still have to consider what you are starting with . I have played some " epi's " that sounded better .

My hopes for a Les Paul with a Floyd are gone for sure . They look great , the red and green ones at least

those two . I feel bad for the ones who had to get the first ones . If you have the cash to hang it on the wall

go ahead , that is where it belongs , this surely won't be a " collectable " , and if you have to change

your amp drastically to make it sound decent you must have a midi head , otherwise do not waste the cash .

ImHo , the " new " standard is even worse . The plek'd neck sure felt the same on the two I tried, excactly

the same but after 30 odd years of playing , I am not getting used to that neck , I thought the heel and rear cutawaywould be a welcome addition . I never minded the weight of my customs . So this cheap feeling guitar

had no reason to be added to my collection , I would grab a used standard or custom if I wanted another .

I tried a PRS custom 24 , with a cranberry 10 top w/trem , and locking tuners . For a tad over 300 bucks

over the axcess , this is the one I took home . Absolutely stunning looks , great playing , great sounding .

I was assured the customer service is top notch also , which from now on is very critical to my purchases .

I never really gave it a thought before , but some companies won't stand behind what they put out .

Glad to not waste hard earned cash on another gibson to sit in a case .

That was my experience from Thursday . I really doubt that the GC that had the 4 gibson had 4 " gimpy "

new les pauls , but to each their own . Before I went to the store that had the new PRS I was feeling

a bit sad with the les paul experience , yet I could not be more happy now . I have number 15 of 350 :)

/cheers

I must admit I have to totally disagree with both of on most of the points though I will admit the setups from the Custom Shop are below average. I went and played an Axcess two weeks ago and I loved it the one I played sounded thick and meaty not thin as you have stated. The floyd was stiff but as stated before in this forum that can be fixed by changing strings and springs and getting a good setup. As far as a good setup coming from the factory. PRS is known for that Gibson is just the opposite. Besides most guitars you get need to be set up from the factory so that is not a reason to bash it. Third don't compare the axcess to the 355 they are totally different animals and therefore sound totally different. But we are all entiitled to our own opinons and we all like different guitars and sounds and that is why there is such a variety! I am sorry it didn't work out for you but it is the perfect guitar for some players out there.

To each his own. Unlike PRS Gibsons have always needed some setup work, for some reason they just don't set them up at the factory the way most people I know like them. I always listen to the tone and character of the guitar first, knowing I can alter the setup. The action and trems on my 2 Axcess were stiff as well, but play great now that I set them up with .009's. The necks feel great and not "cold" to me, but the profile may not be right for everyone out there. I find it curious that anyone thinks the tone is thin, it certainly isn't to me. It is on the brighter side of many Les Pauls I've played, and I've found that backing off on the tone pot a bit works great for darker sounds without loosing any clarity. Perhaps you played them with the coil taps engaged? That thins out the tone quite a bit, but with a good purpose, to sound like a single coil guitar.

As for the Floyd, I have played many guitars with Floyds and as some have indicated here the Axcess Floyd feels pretty stiff out of the box. I did get mine to loosen up with the setup change, but it is still not the loosest Floyd I've ever played. This suits me because I use tremolo very subtly for the most part, and I don't do a lot of deep dive-bombs or radical pull-backs. You can certainly do these things on the Axcess (and stay in tune!) but if you are more of a metal player and like a looser feel to really go to extremes on the bar, this may not be the guitar for you. Aside from Rush I am a big Van Halen fan and I have managed some very authentic VH whammy riffs on the Axcess, so believe me it can be done with this guitar, it's just a matter of wether you like the stiffer bar action or not.

Anyways, After some setup I love the Axcess so it works great for me, but I certainly agree it's way too much money to spend on a guitar that doesn't float your boat, so if possible go play one (and remember you can get a better setup) before you take the plunge.

Funny how opinions differ on finish too, I really like the gunmetal and iced-tea. The red is pretty cool but I think the green looks like a neon barf splat, yeeeech! I'd like to see more traditional burst finishes, like a cherry or desert burst. A transparent black with a great top would also be awesome. If that comes out I might consider swapping the gunmetal for that.

Well, I got my Axcess over the weekend. I got it at GC. I swore I would never buy there, but the guitar looked good, felt good and sounds fantastic. So, I was able to negotiate a pretty decent price and walked away with it. I just got it back from my luthier last night and he had set the action a bit lower than Gibson, but not quite low enough, so I just lowered the two rocker screws and now it is perfect. Since he did all the other more detailed work, me just lowering the Floyd a bit did the trick.

Here are some observations:

I generally gravitate toward the 60's necks and found this neck to be a bit chunkier, but not by much. At first, the neck felt a bit strange and I was trying to figure out what it was. Well first, Gibson generally puts too much relief in their necks so they need to be straightened. After straightening it, it still felt strange. Then I lowered the action. Felt better, but still strange. Here is what I noticed. From the first fret to the twelfth fret, the width of the fretboard is about the same as my three other Les Pauls, but when you start to go from 12-22 frets, the width stays about the same on the Axcess whereas on my other Les Pauls, the fretboard starts to get thinner from the 12th -22nd fret. Once I discovered that, it was a bit easier to adjust my playing. In one sense, having the fretboard stay wide on those frets makes it a bit easier to get around. My fingers don't bunch up as much, but at the same time it is a wider playing area that your hand may need to get used to. And, on a traditional Les Paul this is right where the fretboard usually would get thinner but at the same time you would hit the heel of the neck as it goes into the body. But, on the Axcess, this is where the cut out begins and the neck is a bit thicker there in order for it to join the body but thinner than a traditonal Les Paul (no heel) so you can easily access the upper frets. So, is it a bad thing? Not at all, it is actually quite a nice design, but may take a bit of getting used to, but in a good way. Also, I am used to palm muting on my stop-tail Les Pauls and palm muting on my Ibanez with a Floyd Rose, but because of where the Floyd is on the Les Paul as compared to the Ibanez, I find that I am having to adjust my playing a bit in this department as well. But, it can be done and I think little subtle challenges like these will just make me a better player. Hell, I can play a Lifeson with a volute just fine now so an Axcess is not a big deal to get used to.

The only other issue to point out, is that my luthier told me that the shims used under the nut were not the best idea. He says that they used small shims and not shims that go the entire length of the nut. Because there is a cut out under the nut where the trussrod cavity begins, there are shims on either side of the cavity leaving a space under the D and G strings. He says this will rob tone when these strings are played in the open position and eventually the nut could start to bend there. He did not have full sized shims, but ordered some and will do a quick install when they come in. So, any of you planning a set up for this guitar should look into getting the full sized shims for underneath the nut.

Other than that, he said the guitar was very well made. In fact he said he has never seen such excellent work in routing out the area for the Floyd on the top and in the spring cavity area. He should know, he had put Floyd Roses on several of Neal Schon's Les Pauls.

The sound on this guitar is really nice. It has that Les Paul tone. I do not find it too bright. It may be a tad less punchy than my 9.5 pound 60 Reissue, but certainly holds its own and the coil tap is sweet. Lokks great although I noticed most of the Iced Teas I have seen have a bit of a Bar-b-Q top, but over all not bad looking.

Wondo' date='

Great feedback! Any hints on finding a good guitar luthier. I live in CO.

Thanks![/quote']

Wish I could help but I live in MD.

Another thing I forgot to mention about the Axcess is the push pull on the Bridge Tone knob. Wow! At first I thought it only worked for the bridge pickup, but it works to make both pickups single coil. Put your toggle switch to the middle position and pull the tone knob up and holy crap instant telecaster. Nice crispy clean tone. Fantastic.

Interesting note on the nut shims, Wondo, thanks for the tip. Not sure if I'll bother with the cost of swapping mine out unless I ever have a luthier do some other work as the guitar sounds ok to me as is, but makes sense that full sized ones would be better overall.

I have been toying with the idea of putting a big block on the Floyd, though.

I noticed the difference in palm-muting position too. If you rest your hand behind the fulcrum point of the bridge saddles then you get a warbling effect in the notes. I had to train my hand to rest a little further towards the pup and that cures the problem. Like you say takes a little getting used to but after a few sessions it's like riding a bike.

Agreed on the single coil tones in the Axcess!!! It's really quite an arsenal of tones and the pups are very quiet in single coil mode as well. Extremely versatile. Not getting rid of my Tele, though! I love that guitar as well.

Archived