Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wondo

Les Paul Axcess

Sounds very good. I have two Les Paul Reissues, and the Axcess believe it or not has very similar tone, and on top of that you have the coil switch which can get the Axcess to sound like a Telecaster or a Stratocaster. Very versitle guitar.

Rat1Well' date='

As for Luthiers in CO, I only use Woodsongs Lutherie in Boulder, CO. I only let top quality craftsman touch my guitars and they do fantastic work.

Check them out if you can.

Mbrad2112[/quote']

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it

Sweeeet top Wondo!!

Yeah I agree on the tone, I had a 59 reissue for a while and the Axcess really does have a similar sound to that guitar, maybe a little more powerful though. If I back off the Axcess volume knob to about 8 it is very similar to that 59.

Here's a tip, I have noticed that playing the Axcess through a good volume pedal (I use an Ernie Ball) offers some incredible clean tones when using a high-gain setting on your amp. Turning the guitar's volume knob down is cool, but try leaving the guitar's volume all the way up on a dirty channel and back your volume pedal off to 50%, and holy cow the thing really cleans up but keeps a huge tone and sustain.

Sweeeet top Wondo!!

Yeah I agree on the tone' date=' I had a 59 reissue for a while and the Axcess really does have a similar sound to that guitar, maybe a little more powerful though. If I back off the Axcess volume knob to about 8 it is very similar to that 59.

Here's a tip, I have noticed that playing the Axcess through a good volume pedal (I use an Ernie Ball) offers some incredible clean tones when using a high-gain setting on your amp. Turning the guitar's volume knob down is cool, but try leaving the guitar's volume all the way up on a dirty channel and back your volume pedal off to 50%, and holy cow the thing really cleans up but keeps a huge tone and sustain.[/quote']

Yeah, it is a great top on this one. It is quarter sawn, so it also has some verticle grains as well when looked at from the right angle. I have not been a fan of quarter sawn tops, it can give the bar-b-Q look, but this one looks really nice. I have also not been a fan of such tight grain in the flame, but again this one looks nice. It has a nice warm look to it. I prefer the flat sawn Eastern Maple, but I have not seen any Axcess with that, so out of the tops I have seen on the Axcess, this one was very nice. As far as using a volume pedal to clean up tone, I do a little of both. Sometimes I use the volume knob and sometimes a pedal. I too use a Ernie Ball volume pedal (two actually one is used as an expression pedal for my G-Major).

Staxman,

I use a H&K Triamp ALSS and it sounds great, but I have been using my Switchblade 50w combo lately. The sounds are not quite as rich as the Triamp, but it comes close and the versatility of the Switchblade is really cool. I am considering getting the 100w head to take on gigs and leave the Triamp in the studio or bring it out on special occassions. The Lifeson Triamp cost me some coin and I don't want to bring it just anywhere. The Switchblade I would bring anywhere. What are your thoughts?

I use a H&K Triamp ALSS and it sounds great' date=' but I have been using my Switchblade 50w combo lately. The sounds are not quite as rich as the Triamp, but it comes close and the versatility of the Switchblade is really cool. I am considering getting the 100w head to take on gigs and leave the Triamp in the studio or bring it out on special occassions. The Lifeson Triamp cost me some coin and I don't want to bring it just anywhere. The Switchblade I would bring anywhere. What are your thoughts?[/quote']

You should check out the H&K Trilogy. It sounds just like it's big brother the Triamp and it's alot less coin for it.

hughes_trilogy.jpg

Staxman' date='

I use a H&K Triamp ALSS and it sounds great, but I have been using my Switchblade 50w combo lately. The sounds are not quite as rich as the Triamp, but it comes close and the versatility of the Switchblade is really cool. I am considering getting the 100w head to take on gigs and leave the Triamp in the studio or bring it out on special occassions. The Lifeson Triamp cost me some coin and I don't want to bring it just anywhere. The Switchblade I would bring anywhere. What are your thoughts?[/quote']Well I love my Switchblade head except for the modulation effects. The tones are very good, dirty and clean, and being able tyo pull up 128 different settings from four channels via midi is very cool. Besides the lousy mod effects my biggest peeve is that you have to have a midi pedal to save presets to new locations as there's no way to pull up presets on the amp panel itself.

I had a Triamp MKII and Marshall TSL-100 before this that I gigged with. Both awesome amps. The Switchblade wasn't out until after I quit the club circuit and commited myself to the home studio, but if I were to do it again for gigging I'd go with the Switchblade hands down, especially for a cover band. There's no style the Switchblade can't do a very good job of, as long as you have outboard effects if you are into chorus/flanger/phaser. The onboard stuff is so cheesy IMO. The reverb is very good, I do use that on most of my presets. The delay is pretty good but I don't use it, I prefer having a variety of delays in my rack that I can switch in/out of any preset using control commands.

I use the Axess Electronics FX1 to control my rig, which is awesome. All my effects except for a wah pedal are in my rack running through a GCX looper. For each bank I have 6 preset tones programmed into the Switchblade, then I use the FX1's 12 control switches to pull effects loops in and out of each preset. I used to have a crapload of stomp boxes on my floorboard, now it's much cleaner looking and simpler to use!

Just wondering since this guitar appears to be a striped down neal schon model, and neal was on the gibson sight talking about redoing the sg aways back, is that going to happen?

A word of warning to anyone else who wants to put PUP covers on your Axcess, I purchased Gibson covers, one bridge and one neck version thinking that would be what I needed, only to find out the bridge PUP on the Axcess (at least on both of mine) has the neck PUP spacing, so what you need is 2 covers with neck spacing on the pole screw holes.

That said, the cover that is now installed on the neck PUP of my iced-tea Axcess looks much, much better than the black coils did with this finish. Will have to wait until I can exchange the other cover to see it with both PUPs covered, then I'll post a pic. I suspect a lot of you will want to put the covers on when you see it, looks 100% better with the burst finish. I'm still undecided on the GM, I like the look of the black coils against the dark gray.

Does having the narrower pole spacing of the neck PUP at the bridge affect the sustain or tone? The guitars sound great to me and I never would have noticed if I hadn't tried to put covers on, but I'm wondering why Gibson used the same PUPs at both locations, when normally they use different spacing for each to compensate for the wider string spacing at the bridge. Admin, can you shed any light on this?

PS: DON'T buy aftermarket covers, get the real Gibsons. I tried some cheap ones from GC and the profile was wrong for the rings and the screw holes didn't line up for either BB PUP.

Staxman - I've been thinking of adding pu covers to my Axcess, any photos of yours yet? Do the covers simply go over the pickups as is, or do they need to be grounded or wax dipped? Thanks.

P.S. Just picked up a Dunlop Crybaby from Hell wah pedal - best sounding wah I've ever played - sounds GREAT with the Axcess and the Lifeson.

I;m glad somebody got a weight relieved LP GT' date='for better or worse,because mine weigh;s almost 22lbs,and after two songs I have to switch off.

You know, I hate to say it, but you guys asked for all this

confusion...weight relieved this- chambered that. If somebody would have

just announced that Gibson was hollowing out bodies before you started

shipping them out, life would be a little easier.

I was one of the 1st chumps to end up with a LP Standard and a LP GT that

are both hollower than a pumpkin on Nov 1st. It would have been nice to

know BEFORE they were shipped to me.

Plus, you guys change specs at will, with no regard for the people that buy

the guitars. I also have two LP Standard that came with Classic green

inlays...nice- and ugly-! When I sent a e-mail to customer service, I got

'tough luck' as a reply. Somebody at Gibson also told me that the old white

ones are toxic! I think your corporate squad is more about manufacturing

stories and excuses rather than working with wood. Regardless, once you

publish spec's..try sticking with them!

Regardless, it will be nice to see something like the LP Axcess, if, how and

when it ever comes together. I applaud the effort, even if it is

twenty-five years too late! I'd probably be interested in buying one or two

if it actually makes it to market (for a reasonable price).......[/quote']

Just picked an Iced Tea LP Axcess today! WOW! The tone is a little "brighter" than I expected (courtesy of the maple cap, I suspect), but still nice and throaty. The coil-tap works quite well to coax strat type tones out of the neck PU, and the Floyd is a great touch. I've still got a lot of discovering to do, but am very pleased so far...

Here's a pic of the axe, along with my Neal Schon LP...

[http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDPfRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPJnxPoPxJalxv8uOc5xQQQeoa0nanGGGqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0Q0n0%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,332,442/img]

Staxman - I've been thinking of adding pu covers to my Axcess' date=' any photos of yours yet? Do the covers simply go over the pickups as is, or do they need to be grounded or wax dipped? Thanks.

P.S. Just picked up a Dunlop Crybaby from Hell wah pedal - best sounding wah I've ever played - sounds GREAT with the Axcess and the Lifeson.[/quote']Well I am thrilled with how my IT Axcess looks with the pup covers, much better and more classic IMO than the open coils with this finish. I just pushed them on, no solder or wax. I did adjust the pole pieces out a bit so they were not recessed inside the holes on the covers. Soundwise, the difference is very slight and an improvement IMO, the covers smooth out the tone a bit and make the pups a little less bright. Hardly noticeable.

ITAxcess002.jpg

ITAxcess003.jpg

ITAxcess007.jpg

Still not sure if I'll put covers on the gray one, I'm thinking yes.

Whatever happened to the LP Custom version? Yes.......No.........Wait 'til the Standards sell and then offer them.......soon.......never? What's the story?

Whatever happened to the LP Custom version? Yes.......No.........Wait 'til the Standards sell and then offer them.......soon.......never? What's the story?

see page 8

see page 8

Hey, I'm new to the Gibson custom forums, but have had Gibson guitars for a while. Can anybody put up some youtube videos of their personal les paul axcess, and show how it plays? That would be great, and I'm sure everybody would enjoy that.