Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Axcess

Wondo

Hey' date=' I'm new to the Gibson custom forums, but have had Gibson guitars for a while. Can anybody put up some youtube videos of their personal les paul axcess, and show how it plays? That would be great, and I'm sure everybody would enjoy that.[/quote']

Yeah, that would be cool...I'm actually surprised there's not a video of it up already...

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

see page 8

I ain't falling for the Gibson banana in my tailpipe. Smart money says: "there's a marketing plan in the works"...there's alaways a marketing plan at Gibson; that's what they really make...marketing.

Guitars are just a tool for these people. Producing companies hire marketing firms' date=' not our friend's in Nashville. They're just trying to produce something they can market; hey....you got to do whatever pays for the boat. Musician's Friend spilt the bean's a few months ago when they went off half cocked...

Click me!

Gibson would serve up or re-issue yesterday's moldy french toast if they thought someone would buy it. Now why would they draw the greed line before pumping out a batch of Customs? No....there's 200 of these Axcess Customs somewhere sitting in a room right now. Then again, how hard is it to shift production from Standard to a Custom when they choose to do so? Actually, what's the real difference between the two? Not much. When you think about it what's the real difference between 90% of Gibson guitars...not much. Same old thing over and over again....just different marketing plans.

Revised_technical_adoption_cycle.png

Prediction......soon as the Axcess Standard sales hit the "late majority"; we'll see plenty of Customs. Now, I'm not saying that Gibson would use this forum for propaganda to expedite sales; I'm just a betting man. Do an inverse price ratio curve on that and see what you get.

Well I sure hope we will see more Customs. Admin you did say there were no plans to release the Custom Axcess anytime soon but I also have seen one for sale "briefly" online so there must be at least some made and shipping to dealers? Very glad to see it, it was an absolutely gorgeous ebony guitar. Please tell us that this will be a regular production model??

On another interesting note, just an observation: I just finished watching Rush's new DVD from the Snakes & Arrows tour, on which Alex Lifeson debuted the Axcess prototypes. After analyzing some closeups of Alex's Axcess prototypes, I can almost say I am 99% sure that his ebony Axcess Custom & iced tea Axcess Standard are NOT as thin as the production models. The body does not look to me to be any thinner than the LP Standards that he also played during the tour. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me but it looks to me as if the Axcess started life with a standard body thickness and later Gibson decided to thin it down a bit.

I am glad they made it thinner whether this is like Alex's or not. The reason being is that my Axcess has a very unique tone. It can surely get that Les Paul tone, but when the coil tap is engaged, it sounds very much like a Strat or Telecaster and because of the tremelo cavity and springs, it really does sound like a Fender when the tap is engaged. I find it has tremendous versatility and I really am impressed that the CS really put some thought into this guitar. Playability, comfortableness, and tone considered, this is a very unique Les Paul.

On another note, I contemplated putting covers on the pickups. But, I think exposed covers look good on this guitar as well. With the black headstock, and the black pieces of hardware on the Floyd Rose and (on my guitar) the dark rosewood fretboard, the exposed black coils fit in really nice. Plus, I have two 1960 Reissues, so I have that vintage look and sound covered very well. For me then, it allows the Axcess to sit in its own category.

Now, the big question for me is possibly selling my Frampton Custom to fund the purchase of the Dark Fire. I have been recently writing some ambient guitar stuff and my friend has an ambient label who wants to release my material and the Dark Fire would do wonders in creating new and exciting music with the possibility of 500 different tunings and the computer software capabilities. I think the Dark Fire would offer way more tricks than the Frampton. I hope I am not making a bad decision.

I am glad they made it thinner whether this is like Alex's or not. The reason being is that my Axcess has a very unique tone. It can surely get that Les Paul tone' date=' but when the coil tap is engaged, it sounds very much like a Strat or Telecaster and because of the tremelo cavity and springs, it really does sound like a Fender when the tap is engaged. I find it has tremendous versatility and I really am impressed that the CS really put some thought into this guitar. Playability, comfortableness, and tone considered, this is a very unique Les Paul.

On another note, I contemplated putting covers on the pickups. But, I think exposed covers look good on this guitar as well. With the black headstock, and the black pieces of hardware on the Floyd Rose and (on my guitar) the dark rosewood fretboard, the exposed black coils fit in really nice. Plus, I have two 1960 Reissues, so I have that vintage look and sound covered very well. For me then, it allows the Axcess to sit in its own category.

Now, the big question for me is possibly selling my Frampton Custom to fund the purchase of the Dark Fire. I have been recently writing some ambient guitar stuff and my friend has an ambient label who wants to release my material and the Dark Fire would do wonders in creating new and exciting music with the possibility of 500 different tunings and the computer software capabilities. I think the Dark Fire would offer way more tricks than the Frampton. I hope I am not making a bad decision.[/quote']

Wondo - wait & save for the Dark Fire - I've sold MANY (more than I care to count) axes over the years only to end up regretting it & missing some of them. I sold my Ric 4080 doubleneck for $800.00 about 18 years ago, and I don't think I'll ever be able to afford another one now, as they usually sell for around 6.5-8K these days. As an added bonus, you may see the prices drop on the Dark Fire by the time you have saved for it - just my opinion. The Dark Fire is way cool though...

Agreed on the thinner Axcess bodies, the guitar is much more comfortable to play and the tonal varieties are cool. I was just making an observation that the prototypes Al played appear to have the standard body thickness. I recall him mentioning in an interview that he switched to the iced-tea standard as his main guitar when he received it because the ebony custom prototype was very heavy. Gibson must have taken the whole weight issue into consideration and I'm glad they did.

As for keeping guitars forever, sadly I have reached a point where it is difficult to just keep buying new additions to the collection without selling something to a) help fund the new acquisition and =D> to make space for the new axe. In a perfect world I'd have a wing added onto the house that could house an infinitely growing collection, but the reality is I have reached a number of guitars that is certainly adequate to satisfy my hobby and already takes up a good deal of space to store.

I have sold a lot of very cool guitars over the years, and I do miss some of them dearly at times. But I don't dwell on it too much, rather I'm happy that I got the chance to play them for a while. I like the new experience of a new axe. I loved my PRS Custom 22s, but I played them for years and was fine selling both to get 2 LP Axcess. They are both great guitars in their own way but I was ready for a change and I love the Axcess.

Bottom line, Wondo, IMO do what you gotta do to get the Darkfire if you really want it and it will take you in new directions. If you have to sell, you may miss the Frampton here and there but it does not do anything that a lot of other guitars can't do for you and in the long run it will not be the end of your guitar days if you don't have it around. Or if you can afford to keep it and have lots of storage space, keep it and enjoy it forever. Either way there will always be cool guitars to play.

Wildwood had a Black (not Gunmetal) Custom.

I hesitated too long....

I played 2 Axcess Standards when they were first released.

Very nice guitars but once again... Gibson has over-priced the piss out of them.

Good luck finding another Custom.... ("hens teeth"...).

Staxman who was selling the ebony custom online?

I agree both directions about selling sometimes you have to sell in order to grow as a guitarist.

Wildwood had a Custom on their website for one day then poof. Some lucky stiff out there has it.

I can't imagine they only made one. I'm sure there will eventually be more. The Standards were "rare" at first too, now they are everywhere.

Is it normal for there to be a little buzz when you pull up on the coil splitter on the Axcess?

Thanks!

The single-coil mode will always be less quiet than humbucking, but a lot of it has to do with your amp/effects setup and what electronic devices you are standing close to when you play. In single-coil mode the pickups are more succeptible to interference so things like tv's, cell phones and other electronic gear that generate electrical fiels can cause buzzing. Distortion, overdrive and high gain amp settings will often be much noisier with the coil-tap engaged.

Is the buzz consistent in all your amp channels or does it subside when you go from dirty to clean channel? Shouldn't buzz much or at all with a clean setup unless you are standing too close to a source of interference.

Wildwood had a Custom on their website for one day then poof. Some lucky stiff out there has it.

I can't imagine they only made one. I'm sure there will eventually be more. The Standards were "rare" at first too' date=' now they are everywhere.[/quote']

Here's the old Musician's Friend listing....seems like there was some plans to make some, egh? "Back and to the left, back and to the left"

There is no conspiracy!

They'll be out in 4-8 months, when retailer stock of Standard Axcess's drop. Sure as money is green...I guarentee it!

Agreed on the thinner Axcess bodies' date=' the guitar is much more comfortable to play and the tonal varieties are cool. I was just making an observation that the prototypes Al played appear to have the standard body thickness. I recall him mentioning in an interview that he switched to the iced-tea standard as his main guitar when he received it because the ebony custom prototype was very heavy. Gibson must have taken the whole weight issue into consideration and I'm glad they did.

As for keeping guitars forever, sadly I have reached a point where it is difficult to just keep buying new additions to the collection without selling something to a) help fund the new acquisition and [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img] to make space for the new axe. In a perfect world I'd have a wing added onto the house that could house an infinitely growing collection, but the reality is I have reached a number of guitars that is certainly adequate to satisfy my hobby and already takes up a good deal of space to store.

I have sold a lot of very cool guitars over the years, and I do miss some of them dearly at times. But I don't dwell on it too much, rather I'm happy that I got the chance to play them for a while. I like the new experience of a new axe. I loved my PRS Custom 22s, but I played them for years and was fine selling both to get 2 LP Axcess. They are both great guitars in their own way but I was ready for a change and I love the Axcess.

Bottom line, Wondo, IMO do what you gotta do to get the Darkfire if you really want it and it will take you in new directions. If you have to sell, you may miss the Frampton here and there but it does not do anything that a lot of other guitars can't do for you and in the long run it will not be the end of your guitar days if you don't have it around. Or if you can afford to keep it and have lots of storage space, keep it and enjoy it forever. Either way there will always be cool guitars to play.

Thanks Staxman! I love the Frampton. Great guitar. But, I play my two R0s and Axcess pretty much exclusively. The other guitar that gets some play is the Lifeson. But, the Frampton does not get so much play. With the middle pickup the Frampton was getting a tone I could not get before. But, when I aquired an R0 and put new pickups in it, it can get the tone of the Frampton and then some with just two pickups. The Dark Fire offers me a lot of new possibilities that I am excited about. I think I will go for it. Plus, I stand to make about $1K more on the Frampton than I paid for it. Not bad.

Thanks Staxman! I love the Frampton. Great guitar. But' date=' I play my two R0s and Axcess pretty much exclusively. The other guitar that gets some play is the Lifeson. But, the Frampton does not get so much play. With the middle pickup the Frampton was getting a tone I could not get before. But, when I aquired an R0 and put new pickups in it, it can get the tone of the Frampton and then some with just two pickups. The Dark Fire offers me a lot of new possibilities that I am excited about. I think I will go for it. Plus, I stand to make about $1K more on the Frampton than I paid for it. Not bad. [/quote']Right on! That's what's so cool about playing guitar, it is an ever evolving journey that can take new directions whenever you want it to. Tho only constant thing for me has been the Rush music, I just love playing Rush so that has always been there, but I'v evolved in all the other stuff I play with each new guitar I've played. I'll never be bored with the instrument, that's for sure.

The single-coil mode will always be less quiet than humbucking' date=' but a lot of it has to do with your amp/effects setup and what electronic devices you are standing close to when you play. In single-coil mode the pickups are more succeptible to interference so things like tv's, cell phones and other electronic gear that generate electrical fiels can cause buzzing. Distortion, overdrive and high gain amp settings will often be much noisier with the coil-tap engaged.

Is the buzz consistent in all your amp channels or does it subside when you go from dirty to clean channel? Shouldn't buzz much or at all with a clean setup unless you are standing too close to a source of interference.[/quote']

Thanks Staxman. You were right. A little buzz on the highest gain channel and none on the clean.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I finally broke down and got one... Ice tea.

PROS: It plays awesome, sounds great etc. just some minor tweaking to the neck and pup height. Perfect finish. Can't wait for a custom version.

I am very happy with the axe... BUT...

CONS: non-floyd spaced bridge pup, so the poles don't line up, which is anoying. Also the poles were not radiused either, so that took some bench time. Stiff controls and bell knobs together with the floyd bar is problematic; am going to switch to amber speed knobs. Non-covered pups.

WISH LIST:

Les Paul GT wiring; would be nice to have independent volumes and separate coil taps.

I really wish the pickups were covered; especially with the floyd. There is a reason Dimebag and whatnot tape their neck pickups... so the strings don't get caught in the pups and damage the pickup, especially the neck.

Full body depth and no weight relief/tone chambers should be offered... A paul should feel like a paul, know what I mean?

Grovers

Custom Model

Speed knobs

Strap locks

Also, I forgot to add: the back is not a solid piece, it 's two... and the top is not bookmatched...

Both of these things may or may not be an issue, but it should at least be mentioned.

Also, this guitar does not sound like my other burstbucker pauls, it 's much brighter, and open sounding, and leans to the 335 territory. Not a bad thing, just differen't.

You got some points there, Skip. My biggest issue is the two piece back...WTF? #1 this is a "nice" guitar with some positive attributes, but for the price a two piece back is an abomination #2 kluson are ridiculous on this guitar and just plain suck as tuners regardless of what they're on #3 The body need to be thicker...it's too thin. I think that brightens it up a bite. All-in-all it reminds me of the Les Paul Lite-Custom I had..maybe...15-20 years ago with a scalloped neck. Nothing really new, I guess.

I've had mine for about a month now. Personally, I'm pretty happy with it. I like the floyd and I think it is a fun curio. Is it worth the money.....well yes and no. I got mine for about $2600 which is respectable. There's no way on this earth I would buck up MSRP $3500. No f'in way! I usually play this for 25 minutes and then go right back to my PRS Tremonti, which is a much better singlecut trem style guitar, in my opinion.

Suprisingly, I've found this one to be made very well, which isn't the standard for Gibson these days. Mine had very few botches and flaws. I buy sight-unseen alot and in most cases I end up sending guitars back for stupid mistakes.

I'm interested to see what happens with Gibson in the next 5 years. This is not a ground breaking guitar and Gibson is notoriously sluggish in the innovation department. Even the stupid dark fire is a rehash of the magic then hd 6.0 concepts. The days of people bucking up $7900 for a scuffed up '59 murph-special are over for a while. If this is the best they can do for a flagship Floyd guitar, I think we'll see them come close to going under.

DSC00109.jpg

I've had mine for about a month now. Personally' date=' I'm pretty happy with it. I like the floyd and I think it is a fun curio. Is it worth the money.....well yes and no. I got mine for about $2600 which is respectable. There's no way on this earth I would buck up MSRP $3500. No f'in way! I usually play this for 25 minutes and then go right back to my PRS Tremonti, which is a much better singlecut trem style guitar, in my opinion.[/quote']

it's funny you mentioned the PRS Tremonti... that was actually going to be my next purchase, but chose to get the Axcess first then the PRS... I still plan on getting a Tremonti.

Archived