Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wondo

Les Paul Axcess

?????????

Gibson pulled the plug on the Axcess? (doubtful' date=' why come this far and then nix it?)

Gibson pulled the plug on MF?

MF already got all the pre-orders for all guitars they were alloted?

[/quote']

My guess is, either:

1) MF won't be a dealer for this model.

2) Somebody at MF screwed up.

Admin already said "it's on". Doesn't matter much to me, I'm not a

MF/GC shopper. [-X

My guess is' date=' either:

MF/GC shopper. [-X

[/quote']Yeah I stopped buying from MF years ago when they shipped me an open-box item with damage that I'd ordered as brand new. That was the socond time that had happened. I have my Axcess on order elsewhere and have been assured of getting one, so doesn't matter much to me either what MF does or says! I Just found it interesting that they feel they can call the Axcess discontinued before it is even released. Unless they can back that statement up it is very deceiving and possibly an outright lie.

Admin, is the Axcess a limited run only or will it stay in production for a while?

Admin,

Say it isn't so.

The Lifeson fiasco has left me extremely disappointed in the Custom Shop with the only saving grace being the promise of the Axcess. I ordered one with Saul at Center City who has not found out anything about it as of yet. Then to find out that MF is claiming it is discontinued. I'm telling ya, if this falls through after all the problems with the Lifeson, I will never buy a Gibson again. And, that comes from someone who has owned many Gibson USA and Custom Shop guitars and still own 5 Custom Shop guitars.

Shed some light please.

My guess is' date=' either:

MF/GC shopper. [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_naughty.gif[/img]

They always do that kind of crap. They're going to sell it, they're just out of coordination. Big company, big website..the people that do the listings are just drones.

Soon as they get the guitars in stock it will be active.

I buy stuff from them all the time. They do some decent 'blowout deals'. I bought 6 sealed Peavey 5150 II amps from them when Peavey discontinued-cancelled the line. They were $500 each! Hello Ebay! 8 Fender American Tele's for $499...hello Ebay powerseller. Gibbo, Fender, everybody dumps their duds, flubs and discontinued models on GC amd MF all the time. They just blow the stuff out.

You could do a much better deal on one of these when they land in the hand of smaller dealers, tho. Take your pick, this shop, that shop...I deal with one dealer 90% of the time and they hooook me up. Smaller dealers will be able to inspect the guitar for you..so you won't get a defectoid that slipped out of the factory. Just DO NOT Special order one! I could tell you a huge horror story about a 'special order' '58 VOS that arrived with the bridge mounting screw installed at a 45 degree angle (you know instead of straight up and down).

As far as I'm concerned, buy one of these from Music Friend, your gonna get gouged and there's a good chance that you'll end up with one of those extremely rare defective guitars that Gibson never makes.

Admin guy...does this have a regular set neck joint or is it neck-thru like the Schon sig? It would be nice if the heel was scalloped as well. Otherwise, I'll have to send it to Ed Roman!

They always do that kind of crap. They're going to sell it' date=' they're just out of coordination. Big company, big website..the people that do the listings are just drones.

Soon as they get the guitars in stock it will be active.

I buy stuff from them all the time. They do some decent 'blowout deals'. I bought 6 sealed Peavey 5150 II amps from them when Peavey discontinued-cancelled the line. They were $500 each! Hello Ebay! 8 Fender American Tele's for $499...hello Ebay powerseller. Gibbo, Fender, everybody dumps their duds, flubs and discontinued models on GC amd MF all the time. They just blow the stuff out.

You could do a much better deal on one of these when they land in the hand of smaller dealers, tho. Take your pick, this shop, that shop...I deal with one dealer 90% of the time and they hooook me up. Smaller dealers will be able to inspect the guitar for you..so you won't get a defectoid that slipped out of the factory. Just DO NOT Special order one! I could tell you a huge horror story about a 'special order' '58 VOS that arrived with the bridge mounting screw installed at a 45 degree angle (you know instead of straight up and down).

As far as I'm concerned, buy one of these from Music Friend, your gonna get gouged and there's a good chance that you'll end up with one of those extremely rare defective guitars that Gibson never makes.

Admin guy...does this have a regular set neck joint or is it neck-thru like the Schon sig? It would be nice if the heel was scalloped as well. Otherwise, I'll have to send it to Ed Roman! [/quote']Admin can correct me if I'm wrong, but the specs on the Axcess (and all pictures to date confirm) are not for neck-through, it is set neck like a standard LP with long tenon, so differs from NS model there, but like the NS the neck joint is scarfed so great "axcess" to the 22nd fret.

Admin can correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but the specs on the Axcess (and all pictures to date confirm) are not for neck-through, it is set neck like a standard LP with long tenon, so differs from NS model there, but like the NS the neck joint is scarfed so great "axcess" to the 22nd fret.[/quote']

Does it look like this?

ACE%20guitar%20015.jpg

whaaaaaa-whoooooo

Admin' date='

Say it isn't so.

The Lifeson fiasco has left me extremely disappointed in the Custom Shop with the only saving grace being the promise of the Axcess. I ordered one with Saul at Center City who has not found out anything about it as of yet. Then to find out that MF is claiming it is discontinued. I'm telling ya, if this falls through after all the problems with the Lifeson, I will never buy a Gibson again. And, that comes from someone who has owned many Gibson USA and Custom Shop guitars and still own 5 Custom Shop guitars.

Shed some light please.[/quote']

it's not discontinued. Saul will be able to get them.

Admin,

Could you find out what type of fret wire will be used on the Axcess? Will it be what is used on the reissues or what is now being used on the Les Paul Standard and the Les Paul Traditional. I tried both of these today and found the fret wire to be tall and thinner than the 1960 reissues which tend to be a bit wider and shallower.

Thanks

Admin' date='

Could you find out what type of fret wire will be used on the Axcess? Will it be what is used on the reissues or what is now being used on the Les Paul Standard and the Les Paul Traditional. I tried both of these today and found the fret wire to be tall and thinner than the 1960 reissues which tend to be a bit wider and shallower.

Thanks[/quote']

it'll be Reissue-style...

it's not discontinued. Saul will be able to get them.

Can you shed any light on how limited production will be of the Standard & Custom models with the Floyd? Will they stay in production or be limited to one run only?

My hope was to pick up a Standard first, then a Custom down the road. But if they will be limited runs maybe my strategy on waiting for the Custom is flawed.

as far as i know' date=' these are not limited at all.[/quote']Awesome! So much for MF saying it is "discontinued"!

I think this is a great move by Gibson to put this kind of instrument into long-term production, long overdue. I love Les Paul tone, but a lot of of my playing involves locking tremolos, so I have been forced to look at other brands over the years to get a quality factory-installed Floyd setup. I think Gibson will do well with the Axcess.

as far as i know' date=' these are not limited at all.[/quote']Awesome! So much for MF saying it is "discontinued"!

I think this is a great move by Gibson to put this kind of instrument into long-term production, long overdue. I believe Gibson will do well with the Axcess.

I spent years looking for a guitar that feels like a Les Paul but had a Floyd Rose fitted.

I even got my local luthier to make me a Mahogany "Strat" with a glued on, bound neck to Gibson scale length.

Then a few years ago I enquired at the Custom Shop about a one-off build of a Les Paul Standard fitted with a Floyd Rose.

They told me that they were not accepting custom orders and that fitting a Floyd to a Standard would be too difficult.

That's when I thought "I'll do it myself".

I bought an Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus, Schaller Floyd Rose and a Burstbucker pro for the bridge position, then got my luthier to put it together.

It is one of the best guitars I've ever owned in the last 30 years!

I'm also really pleased that Gibson have left the volume and tone controls on the Axcess in the usual Les Paul position.

I can't play guitars that have the volume control close to the bridge pickup, like a Strat, I keep catching it!

I spent years looking for a guitar that feels like a Les Paul but had a Floyd Rose fitted.

I even got my local luthier to make me a Mahogany "Strat" with a glued on' date=' bound neck to Gibson scale length.

Then a few years ago I enquired at the Custom Shop about a one-off build of a Les Paul Standard fitted with a Floyd Rose.

They told me that they were not accepting custom orders and that fitting a Floyd to a Standard would be too difficult.

That's when I thought "I'll do it myself".

I bought an Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus, Schaller Floyd Rose and a Burstbucker pro for the bridge position, then got my luthier to put it together.

It is one of the best guitars I've ever owned in the last 30 years!

I'm also really pleased that Gibson have left the volume and tone controls on the Axcess in the usual Les Paul position.

I can't play guitars that have the volume control close to the bridge pickup, like a Strat, I keep catching it!

[/quote']That's very cool, Mety. Did you have the Floyd recessed or does it float above the top? I thought about doing the same thing, but ended up finding 2 Japanese LP knock-offs, one Custom-style and one Standard that had factory installed Floyds with the recessed routing, and although they don't quite have the great action and tone of a quality Gibson, it's pretty darn good for the money I paid and close enough that not many folks can tell the difference when hearing it on recordings. I ended up getting rid of the Custom version as it was ridiculously heavy but kept the Standard and it has become one of my fave axes. I had to replace the bridge p/u, the original sucked, but then it had awesome tone that comes pretty close to my real Gibsons. The most interesting thing about it is that the neck angle is much less than a real LP standard, not flat but softer more like a PRS Custom 22, which I imagine helps to accomodate the recessed Floyd's string geometry more comfortably. From the photos I've seen of the Axcess and seeing Alex Lifeson play his up close at recent Rush shows, it looks to me like the Axcess has a lesser neck angle as well, but not sure about that.

Anyway, even for the knock-off, having close to Les Paul tone coupled with a Floyd is unreal. As I'm sure the plecked frets and carved neck-joint on the Axcess will blow the knock-off's action away, I think I will be in axe-heaven when I finally get mine.

Did you have the Floyd recessed or does it float above the top?

Above the top' date=' mate.

I think I will be in axe-heaven when I finally get mine.

Me too. I can't wait! +:-@

Just got a call from a sales guy I've bought from before at the local GC, they just received 2 Axcess standards with Floyds today, one iced tea and one gunmetal gray. Go figure, GC got theirs before anyone else did. I can't get out there to check them out until next week, probably won't last that long. I have one on order elsewhere so not worried about it, but I never figured GC would get them in first!

Anyway, it appears the Axcess has begun to ship even sooner than we anticipated.

Well I couldn't help it, knowing there were 2 Axcess at the local GC I just had to make time this afternoon to go check them out. I believe from the serial numbers they are # 80 (iced-tea) and # 88 (gunmetal gray) both Standards.

First I'll mention that Gibson has decided to go without pickup covers, the pickups, whatever they are, are open black coils on both. I think original spec was for Burkbusters with chrome covers? Not sure if they still are Burkbusters and just removed the covers or they are something else completely, Admin? I only had a few minutes to spare and did not plug either in, just held them and strummed acoustically for a few minutes. Action on both was absolutely amazing and the acoustic tone very resonant and sweet. The neck carve and body scarf are incredible, this is an unbelievably comfortable guitar. The gray one was much lighter than the iced-tea, feels about 8.5 - 9 lbs. I decided to take the plunge and bring one home on GC's 30 day trial policy, and chose the gray. At first I didn't think I would like the gray color, but once I saw it I was hooked, it's gorgeous, almost black with a slight metallic look. The chrome floyd, white p/u rings and black p/u coils make for a very bold overall look. I also liked that it was lighter, and overall it just felt like it played a little better to me than the iced-tea, which itself was an amazing guitar as well. Besides, I still have an iced-tea one on order through another dealer and will hopefully get to chose from several tops (I'm told theirs are still a few weeks out). The top on the iced-tea one at GC was ok, but not as flamey as I like. This one had a beautifully done finish, and the flames were tight, symetrical and very straight, but I prefer bigger, bolder flames. On first inspection fit and finish on both looked flawless.

Sadly I have a busy evening so I will not get to plug in and give her a full test run until tomorrow. Will report more on how she plays/sounds plugged in when I get the chance. First impressions, however, are this is the Floyd-equiped guitar I've been looking for my whole life. Not since I first played a PRS Custom-22 has a guitar with a tremolo felt so good to me, and this one has a Floyd, my fave. It just feels awesome in your hands and begs to be played. I sure hope it will sound as awesome as it plays acoustically when I crank it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Staxman,

AWESOME!

When you give your report tomorrow, please let me know more about the neck. I am a 60's neck guy, but used to love the regular profile of the 80s and 90s Standards as well before they designated a 60's or 50's neck. I found the 50's neck to be too big for me and too rounded whereas the 60's necks on the Classics are a bit too small. The 60's necks on the 60's reissues are perfect for me because they remind me of the 80's or 90's Standards. So, how would you describe the neck profile? How about the frets. Are they low and wide like most older Standards and current reissues or tall and thin like the new Standards and Traditionals??

Much appreciated. I have on on order with Saul at Center City and hope it works out.

Well I didn't plug in yet, I decided to swap out the .10s for my standard .09s first (.10s wear my fingers out to quickly on long sessions). As on any tremolo-equipped axe that involved some pretty major setup changes so I spent the morning on that project. I had to loosen the spring tension and adjust the height of the bridge down a bit to accomodate the smaller strings. After several adjustments I got everything set up the way I like it and the action is just superb. By then my 3 year old son was up and now instead of playing rock-star in the basement I'm posting here and watching Sponge-Bob while the kid eats breakfast, which I equally enjoy to playing guitar. So I'll plug in later today or tomorrow morning and report on the electric side of things of my first Axcess.

Here's a few more observasions (and answers to your questions).

There is a small stack of very thin brass shims under the locking nut, so I guess either Gibson needed to do this to get the string height correct or it is by design to add some sustain? Probably the former as these are custom jobs and each unit probably needs to be set up a little different.

The neck carve feels very similar to my late-model LP Custom, not fat like a 50's and not skinny like a 60's. I've never played an 80's so not sure how it compares, but very comfy for me. Feels pretty close to a wide-fat PRS carve. The carved neck joint is so cool, but it really feels weird playing a LP and not having a big chunk of wood in my palm! I'm sure I will get used to that just fine!

Floyd setup is very nice. The overall geometry of the body/neck is very comfortable, even though the neck angle is greater than I expected it would be. The recessed routing is perfect, the clearance all around the bridge is about 2 pick's width and there's plenty of room in the cavity to go back and forth as much as you want.

The body is thinner than a normal LP, looks about 1/4 inch thinner than my LP Custom side by side.

I wouldn't call the gunmetal too close to transparent black, as you can't see any wood grain, but the metallic aspect does give it a transparent look. It's really growing on me. Photos show this better than I can describe, but can't seem to figure out how to post any here. When I click the "image" button, all it does is add the word to my post. If someone can enlighten me on the process I'll post a few shots of #88.

Forgot to mention on the frets, I would call them low & wide, not tall and thin, but I have not played a model with tall & thin so not sure how they compare.

You could email me the pics and I could post them for you. That would be quick and easy, but they you would still not know how do do this. So, here is my explanation as best I can.

You have to host your pics on a hosting site. I use photobucket.com. It is free and it is easy. No spam or anything. And you have quite a lot of space to house your photos. You would first upload your pics there. Once it is uploaded in your album, it will give you several link options. You want to choose the direct link option. You highlight on the link, right click and choose copy. Then come here and post a reply and in the message area click on the icon with the mountain and sun. This will put a "" in your field. put your curosor between these two img brackets and clikc paste. That will paste the direct link of your image in the post. Your link needs to have "" at the beginning and an "" at the end.

I hope that helps and look forward to seeing your guitar.

Thanks for the tips Wondo, here are some pics of #88

GrayAxcess001.jpg

GrayAxcess002.jpg

GrayAxcess003.jpg

GrayAxcess004.jpg

I finally got to fire up the rig and jam on the Axcess this afternoon. It is very sweet. The tone is ballsy and rich and it sustains for days. Wondo, you'll appreciate this as a Rush fan, the first thing I played after just noodling around a bit was Rush's R30 Overture and Spirit of Radio. I play in a Rush Tribute and we record our jam sessions, so I have 24-track recordings of our drummer and bassist/keyboardist/vocalist to jam along to. I recorded the Axcess in place of my original tracks to see how it sounded. I'm very satisfied with the sounds of this guitar. Both pickups in a variety of channel settings and volumes really sound great. And you can whammy away in perfect tune. Nice job Gibson!